Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:45 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72915 [12]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4658 [1]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72915 [2]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Classic vs. New GMAT Focus - Which Test to Take? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AjiteshArun wrote:
bb wrote:
Take GMAT Classic If...Take GMAT Focus If...

Another factor some test takers should consider is time management in the verbal section. The Focus Edition does give test takers a few seconds more (minutes/question), but people who like to read carefully may need work on their RC timing.

I’m not sure if this is just me, but I felt the focus addition is going to be tighter timing because of the removal of sentence correction. Usually, I’ve been able to answer sentence correction questions in about a minute or a minute and a half, which allowed me to save 30 to 45 seconds per question that I can later use on reading comprehension… and I feel like anyone can use as much time as possible on the reading comprehension. I have not played with the proportions yet but I have a feeling the verbal actually will be more challenging from the timing perspective 😬

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
What test should I focus on?

I plan on taking the exam this year and then working for 4-5 years to gain experience and then apply to an MBA program.

GMAT Focus appeals to me as it's shorter and removes some topics, but I will be able to study better for the current GMAT as there are a bunch of practice materials available.

I understand that scores are valid for up to 5 years, but I have no idea how the current GMAT will be valued 4 to 5 years later in business schools and if they prefer GMAT Focus
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
OwenC999 wrote:

I plan on taking the exam this year and then working for 4-5 years to gain experience and then apply to an MBA program.

GMAT Focus appeals to me as it's shorter and removes some topics, but I will be able to study better for the current GMAT as there are a bunch of practice materials available.

I understand that scores are valid for up to 5 years, but I have no idea how the current GMAT will be valued 4 to 5 years later in business schools and if they prefer GMAT Focus

Hi OwenC999,

I'd take the Focus Edition if I were you. There will be very few people applying with current GMAT scores 4+ years from now.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72915 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I agree but only with the assumption that you can perform equally well on both tests. If you can get a higher score in the classic GMAT, I would apply with that even if there will not be many other applicants.

Business schools have used GMAT scores for 50 years so they know how the old score works. Even if you apply for five years from now and only Taylor 20% have the old scores said a big deal. You will not be the only one.

PS. Makes me wonder how rankings are going to work next year or in two years when business schools will be reporting 2 separate GMAT numbers? Or I guess they only have to use the new score… which could create an opportunity since they will not be reporting the old GMAT score and therefore not as concerned about how your potentially less than stellar GMAT score is going to impact their class standing and class average test scores… I think there may be some opportunities with the old score but it also may turn out to be a dud.

These are just speculation on my part.

AjiteshArun wrote:
OwenC999 wrote:

Hi OwenC999,

I'd take the Focus Edition if I were you. There will be very few people applying with current GMAT scores 4+ years from now.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
OwenC999 wrote:

I agree that you should take the test that best suits you. Also, even if you stick with the current version of the GMAT, it does not mean you cannot pivot to the GMAT focus later on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Given the general perception of the GMAT-Focus being relatively easier than the classic GMAT, why is the score lower in GMAT-Focus for the same percentile than in the classic GMAT, or in other words why is it harder to get a higher point score in the GMAT-focus?
Or am I missing any other important insight here?
For reference, you can go to the official MBA website and search for 'understanding your score', (not allowed to paste links until I am a part of 5 posts here).
They have shared the official conversion/corresponding scores of classic GMAT and GMAT focus.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
laragarg wrote:
Given the general perception of the GMAT-Focus being relatively easier than the classic GMAT, why is the score lower in GMAT-Focus for the same percentile than in the classic GMAT, or in other words why is it harder to get a higher point score in the GMAT-focus?
Or am I missing any other important insight here?
For reference, you can go to the official MBA website and search for 'understanding your score', (not allowed to paste links until I am a part of 5 posts here).
They have shared the official conversion/corresponding scores of classic GMAT and GMAT focus.

Hi laragarg,

We can't really say that the Focus edition is "easier" than the previous GMAT. What we see on GMAT club is a very small subset of all tests, and it's possible that the people willing to take a new exam so soon are just more confident/better prepared.

As for your question, those numbers can mean anything GMAC wants them to, and we shouldn't compare scores across the FE and the previous GMAT directly. We may need to wait a few years for a better look at the percentiles associated with those scores.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72915 [2]
Send PM
GMAT Classic vs. New GMAT Focus - Which Test to Take? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I have originally been standoffish towards GMAT Focus. However, I think I’m starting to embrace it.

But going to the point of hard or easy. I don’t think it’s easier but I think the scores are more consistent. If before you may see wild wings in your scores, I see less inconsistency and I think that’s a good thing.

I don’t think the test is easier though we have seen a few people score very high recently and while their scores were quite high, none of them thought that the test was particularly easy however.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
bb wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
bb wrote:
Take GMAT Classic If...Take GMAT Focus If...

Another factor some test takers should consider is time management in the verbal section. The Focus Edition does give test takers a few seconds more (minutes/question), but people who like to read carefully may need work on their RC timing.

I’m not sure if this is just me, but I felt the focus addition is going to be tighter timing because of the removal of sentence correction. Usually, I’ve been able to answer sentence correction questions in about a minute or a minute and a half, which allowed me to save 30 to 45 seconds per question that I can later use on reading comprehension… and I feel like anyone can use as much time as possible on the reading comprehension. I have not played with the proportions yet but I have a feeling the verbal actually will be more challenging from the timing perspective 😬

Nope. You are not alone. The time advantage that SC used to give to spend over other section of verbal has been lost. New test is definitely more time consuming now.
GMAT Club Bot