GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

November 24, 2018

November 24, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

GMAT Debrief (740 Q46, V45, IR8)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT Debrief (740 Q46, V45, IR8)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 11:16
My GMAT Experience

I've been lurking here since I started my journey 3 months ago. I felt like I owed a debrief because of how much value and inspiration that these forums gave me. I'm a CS recent grad and American-Born Indian. I work for a startup in a product role and am looking towards business school in 3-4 years. I had about an hour or so each day and about 6-7 hours each weekend.

My Journey:
I started at the beginning of June, I read over the intro mgmat book but didn't really understand what I was getting myself into.

I took a manhattan Gmat exam as a diagnostic feeling fairly confident and got a 640 (Q38, V38, IR6.6) on 6/2/18
I buckled down and worked through the gmat books in about 2.5 weeks
Took another MGMAT practice exam and got a 670 (Q44, V37, IR6.6) on 6/15/18. Unhappy with that. I thought it might be because I was not used to the exam.

So I took another one after going through problems in the official guide. Got a 670 again (Q42,V39, IR5.9) on 6/30/18

Took my last manhattan gmat practice exam on 7/13/18 and got a 710 (Q44,V42, IR6.6) which made me feel better and felt like I was improving.
In Mid to late July, I had 3-4 weekend trips in a row which really slowed me down on my gmat prep studying. At the same time, it might have been necessary to stop myself from burning out and it seems like it might have improved my score anyway.

I moved over to Gmatclub and tried the quant and verbal cats a day apart and got Q47 and V39. This made me feel like my quant was in a good place even though I felt like Iw as still getting the same amount of questions wrong. So I still did a good amount of questions but I went in on the verbal questions on gmatclub (really wish there were more though i know that the focus for gmatclub is quant)

Took my first gmatprep exam and got a 730 (Q49, V41) on 8/4/18. I thought the online was broken so downloaded it then found out that the online was working fine and wanting to take the shorter version i switched over (big mistake).

I saw a few repeats that I didn't remember the answer for but mostly clean got a 760 (Q50, V44) on 8/17/18. That felt great but I really wanted to improve that verbal

I took the 2nd gmatprep exam on 8/25/18 expecting it to be fully clean. Did the quant and then the software broke and it pushed me past the verbal but I got a Q49 then reset it so that I could take the verbal properly but it made ti so all the questions I had seen during the first verbal came back up again which meant that I got a V45 but it was really not earned and I still got 3-4 of the same problems wrong! In hindsight, the smartest choice would have been to bite the bullet and buy the 3rd+4th exams after seeing all the repeats in the previous exam)

Test Day
I went in on August 29th, Was feeling pretty bad, woke up at 4am and was having some diarrhea. Started with quant, I started worrying that the questions were too easy. When I went to take my break, I lost track of time on the toilet and lost 3 minutes. Verbal was also easier than I expected and I got worried because I kept seeing really short SC sentences.

IR was very easy (esp. compared to manhattan prep) and the essay was a little stressful as I did not prep much.
I got 740 (Q46, V45, IR8). I was immediately unhappy because I knew I could have done much better on quant. At the same time, I realize that this is a good score. It just feels like I left a few points on the table.

I'm debating whether or not to take the gmat again. 740 is a good score, but I plan to apply to GSB/HBS in 3-4 years and my quant score left a bad taste in my mouth.

If I take the gmat again, I plan to do very little prep. I will do enough verbal to keep my score up and drill myself only on gmatclub problems and get myself used to answering harder questions. I bought the ESR as I just can't not know and I'll update as soon as its available.

Study Materials Advice:
ManhattanPrep is great especially for building that foundation of subject material. However, the tests will make you feel like you're not improving a lot because of how difficult the quant is.
GMATClub Tests - The verbal questions could use some work and it would be nice if there were 100-200 more. The quant is gold.
BRUTAL SC is a great sc question pack.
All GMATPrep Questions, useful but don't do it until you finish the gmatprep exams.
GMATClub Grammar Book - it was valuable in giving me confidence that I knew the rules for SC but its really meant for bringing your verbal score from 20 to 40. To go further requires way more nuance and focus on meaning

This forum has so much value and I owe everyone here for being a part of it. Every time I got something wrong, I would check the official answer and then I would check GmatClub because I knew that Bunuel or BB had a shortcut or a different way to understand it.

In hindsight, I went overboard on doing questions. At the beginning, I felt like I didn't have enough datapoint to know what to focus on but that meant that I really didn't review my wrong ones as intensely as I should have. I would give a cursory view at the wrong answers (and say in my head, oh I get it) and move on. In reality, the is more efficient to focus on the mistakes you have in front of you rather than go through a ton of fodder material to build up your mistake pile and then go through to learn from your mistakes.

Subject Based Advice
1. Critical Reasoning - Find one framework such as how ManhattanGmat does it and work with it for a while to get used to questions. Do a ton of CR problems and for each problem that you get wrong, look at the explanation for each answer choice so that you get used to understanding when to discount answer choices. CR is all about narrowing down the options to what makes sense and what is relevant to the problem at hand.

2. Reading Comprehension - Not too much advice to give as I am a big reader which helps a lot. I would say to make sure that any answer you give has a direct match in the passage. What might help someone struggling here is speed read an article while timing yourself, write a summary, and then go back and read the passage fully to see what you comprehended right.

3. Sentence Correction - I went through manhattangmat and I just couldn't get the grammar rules to stick. I went the the gmatclub grammar book with all the exercises as well. I also did the Brutal SC set. I think I had a generally good grasp of most of the common issues except for modfiers/logical predication. For that, I had to force myself to slow down and reread my answer before moving on to the next question.

4. Problem Solving - Really struggled to improve here. Just drilled through tons of questions and tried to focus on mistakes I made over and over again. Really take advantage of GMATClub tests and forum conversations

5. Data Sufficiency - There is tons of strategy here. At first, I would tackle these like PS problems but that tends to be really slow. One thing that helped me speed up and learn strategies was doing GMATClub 500-level data sufficiency questions without using a notebook. This forced me to rely on the logic of the question and what was given to me to figure out the answer rather than letting me brute force solve the problem.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Debrief (740 Q46, V45, IR8)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 15:32
Scoopdewoop

First of all congratulations for the stellar score. V45 is truly amazing.

Can you please throw some light on Timing strategies that you followed for Quant/Verbal.

Regards
Akadiyan

Posted from my mobile device

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 09:54
Congrats Scoopdewoop on this wonderful score. Also, welcome to GMATClub!

I am certain it must be difficult to accept a score of Q46 and IMO, the Quant section is probably
the easiest section to improve as far as GMAT is concerned. I think your plan of taking the exam
again is perfect, especially since you plan to apply to business school in the next 3-4 years.

If you bump your Quant score to a Q49, this will help you push your overall score to around 770
which is a 99th percentile overall. This is a post which I think you should look at when you begin
your preparation for Quant - https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 41670.html

All the best and do post your ESR on this thread once you have it.

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 10:29
Hi
Congrats on such a good score on the GMAT.
A Quant 46 shows that you have room for improvement and if you can maintain your current Verbal level then your score will improve a lot.
IMO a retake will help. All the best.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Director
Director
D
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 10:44
Awesome GMAT score! And thanks for your time to write this debrief and giving great advice!

IMO you might retake once & aim at 760+. Good luck with things moving forward.

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 13:21
Thank You Akadiyan! For both the Quant and the Verbal. I tried to keep on track with 50 minutes left after question 8 and 30 minutes left after question 15 so that I spent a little more time on the earlier questions. I was a little time pressured by the quant part but not the verbal (despite the 3 minutes lost)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 13:38
As promised, here is the ESR. It proved to be valuable as it pointed out my weakness in rates/percents/ratios and told me that my main problems seems to be consistently answering easier questions consistently. It seems like the questions I got in quant were easier because I would make a mistake on an easy question earlier on.

The Overall Picture
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.29.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.29.17 PM.png [ 247.99 KiB | Viewed 817 times ]

Verbal Breakdown
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.29.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.29.31 PM.png [ 225.55 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]

Verbal Time Management
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.29.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.29.36 PM.png [ 141.87 KiB | Viewed 820 times ]

Verbal Broken Down By Section
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.29.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.29.48 PM.png [ 279.46 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]

Verbal Summary
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.30.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.30.00 PM.png [ 452.53 KiB | Viewed 824 times ]

Quant Breakdown
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.30.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.30.06 PM.png [ 317.08 KiB | Viewed 821 times ]

Quant by subject and by section
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.30.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.30.16 PM.png [ 333.34 KiB | Viewed 821 times ]

Quant Difficulty
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.30.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.30.22 PM.png [ 113.87 KiB | Viewed 822 times ]

Quant Summary
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.30.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.30.31 PM.png [ 421.15 KiB | Viewed 822 times ]
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 16:19
Hi Scoopdewoop,

For starters, congrats on the 740! That is an awesome score.

That being said, since you scored as high as a Quant 50 on your practice tests, and since you have plenty of time before you apply to schools, you may consider retaking the GMAT to increase your quant score.

If you do decide to retake, please reach out, and I’d be happy to provide some advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Debrief (740 Q46, V45, IR8) &nbs [#permalink] 03 Sep 2018, 16:19

GMAT Debrief (740 Q46, V45, IR8)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap