It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT in 2 weeks, should I reschedule?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT in 2 weeks, should I reschedule? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 08:31
I am scheduled to take the GMAT in two weeks (August 19) and I am nowhere near prepared. So my question is if y'all think it is a good idea for me to reschedule my GMAT. I am only wanting to take it once since I am paying for all this on my own. If I need to take it again I will but I am trying to see if I can make the first one count. Paying $50 to reschedule in the hopes I'll do better is worth it for me if I don't have to shell out the $250 again. My plan was to spend the whole summer getting ready and following a two month study plan. However I was taking classes and working throughout the summer and did not devote nearly enough time to it (this is not an excuse by the way, I know many people still manage to study and work full time). For perspective I only made it to day 14 of my study plan in the span of the entire summer. I realize I did a lot wrong and didn't devote nearly enough time to studying/preparing. I just seem to get very frustrated trying to reteach myself math I learned in high school/freshman year of college.

So here's what I've been doing/how I've been doing:
I am working with the Official GMAT Review 2017 books and have been following the Beat the GMAT 2 month study plan (not sure if I should talk about a competing website on here but I hope it's okay). I have also been watching some of the GMAT Club videos over the quantitative section (just the ones that are free).
I have only taken one practice test from the GMAT prep app (only made a 490) and the diagnostic test from the OG Review 2017 book. My goal is to get above a 680.

Here is where I am conflicted about rescheduling:
1. I start classes on August 21 for my last semester. I'm only in 15 hours which is what I've taken every semester and haven't had a problem with. My concern is if I schedule my test for during the semester (I am thinking September 16) I will end up getting very busy with school and not devote the time I need to for the GMAT.

2. I am applying to three schools, one of which is University of Texas for their MPA program. It is a very competitive program and one that has a rolling admissions process, so the earlier I apply, the better chance I have of getting in/getting scholarships. I am wondering if the middle of September is too late to take the GMAT if I am trying to get my applications in by October/if I am giving myself enough time if I need to take the GMAT again (which I am hoping I don't have to do).

Please be brutally honest with me. I know my goal score and my practice test score are worlds apart and I clearly need some more prep so I am hoping one of y'all can offer some advice on what to do!

Thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
V

Kudos [?]: 1045 [0], given: 538

GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT in 2 weeks, should I reschedule? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 10:48
jmn012 wrote:
I am scheduled to take the GMAT in two weeks (August 19) and I am nowhere near prepared. So my question is if y'all think it is a good idea for me to reschedule my GMAT. I am only wanting to take it once since I am paying for all this on my own. If I need to take it again I will but I am trying to see if I can make the first one count. Paying $50 to reschedule in the hopes I'll do better is worth it for me if I don't have to shell out the $250 again. My plan was to spend the whole summer getting ready and following a two month study plan. However I was taking classes and working throughout the summer and did not devote nearly enough time to it (this is not an excuse by the way, I know many people still manage to study and work full time). For perspective I only made it to day 14 of my study plan in the span of the entire summer. I realize I did a lot wrong and didn't devote nearly enough time to studying/preparing. I just seem to get very frustrated trying to reteach myself math I learned in high school/freshman year of college.

So here's what I've been doing/how I've been doing:
I am working with the Official GMAT Review 2017 books and have been following the Beat the GMAT 2 month study plan (not sure if I should talk about a competing website on here but I hope it's okay). I have also been watching some of the GMAT Club videos over the quantitative section (just the ones that are free).
I have only taken one practice test from the GMAT prep app (only made a 490) and the diagnostic test from the OG Review 2017 book. My goal is to get above a 680.

Here is where I am conflicted about rescheduling:
1. I start classes on August 21 for my last semester. I'm only in 15 hours which is what I've taken every semester and haven't had a problem with. My concern is if I schedule my test for during the semester (I am thinking September 16) I will end up getting very busy with school and not devote the time I need to for the GMAT.

2. I am applying to three schools, one of which is University of Texas for their MPA program. It is a very competitive program and one that has a rolling admissions process, so the earlier I apply, the better chance I have of getting in/getting scholarships. I am wondering if the middle of September is too late to take the GMAT if I am trying to get my applications in by October/if I am giving myself enough time if I need to take the GMAT again (which I am hoping I don't have to do).

Please be brutally honest with me. I know my goal score and my practice test score are worlds apart and I clearly need some more prep so I am hoping one of y'all can offer some advice on what to do!

Thanks in advance!

Hi

I Suggest you to schedule. It is better to attack GMAT with full strength

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1045 [0], given: 538

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3412 [0], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 11:58
Hi jmn012,

How long ago did you take that practice CAT (the 490)? I ask because raising that score to a 680+ will take some serious effort - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. All of that work will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study. Given your current timeline, it will almost certainly be best for you to push back your Test Date.

If it's been more than 2 weeks since you took that CAT, then I suggest that you take a new CAT soon and make sure to make it as realistic as possible (so take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you think you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back and we can discuss how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3412 [0], given: 172

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D

Kudos [?]: 306 [0], given: 18

WE: General Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 08:58
Hi jmn012,

If you are not fully confident for your GMAT then it’s probably best to reschedule. You need to focus on both Quant and verbal. Two weeks may be a short time to improve your score drastically. It’s a good thing you have taken a GMAT mock exam. You now know your weaknesses and can work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. You try out free access to EmpowerGMAT, Magoosh and Optimus Prep as they have great reviews on GMATCLUB.

Also for verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the verbal review for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/. You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 306 [0], given: 18

Re: GMAT in 2 weeks, should I reschedule?   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2017, 08:58

GMAT in 2 weeks, should I reschedule?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap