Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.26
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: GMAT Journey 530 to ?? [#permalink]
DS will be the death of me on math I think.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It's been a few years on this one. I kind of forgot I had started this.

Maybe it will help me study this time around. We'll see how long I can keep it up I guess.

Started the Manhattan GMAT full course, tomorrow night is class 5 of 9. However, I've also been taking an accelerated pre-calc class as a refresher before going back into Calculus this fall, and I started a new job during the class as well. My study time in the beginning of the class was much better than it has been the last two weeks. I've definitely fallen behind in my prep. Pre-Calc ends this Friday, and I've been in the new job 3 weeks now. I should be able to get back on the study wagon and commit the time to the GMAT that is needed.

My diagnostic with MGMAT was quite interesting this time around 570 (Q38/V30). It is definitely interesting to see my math go up, to where it honestly should be since I didn't fall asleep during the test this time. But my verbal score going down did surprise me. Nonetheless I think this is a fair assessment of where I was at the beginning of my MGMAT class, and think I'll be able to make some good progress.

So far I've noticed a few key issues I have on the GMAT at least as far as Quant goes....

1) Stupid arithmetic mistakes. - MGMAT has a bunch of foundational material that they offer to full course attendees and I'm going through all of that to fix stupid mistakes like 2+2=5 when I try to go to fast on the problems. I'm also doing elementary/middle school drill sheets to get faster and more accurate at basic calculations.

2) Going too fast - On average you have 2 minutes to complete a quant problem. I typically only take 1:30. As mentioned above in #1 I make a lot of careless mistakes. Slowing down and doing the easy math accurately (while using #1 to also improve speed) will probably raise my math score at least 2 points alone.

3) I have completely forgotten everything Geometry related - Self explanatory - MGMAT covers this in week 6. Since I have other things to work on as well, I'm trying to stick to the program.

4) Properties of exponents - Need to learn to recognize these better

Verbal...

General observation about MGMAT diagnostic - a two different parts of the exam I want 2/8 and 2/9 correct. Obviously room for significant improvement.

1) Reading comprehension - I have always struggled with this because I am a slow reader, and do not remember what I read very well. MGMAT's strategies on this I feel have really helped me do better in the practice reading comp problems I've worked on. We'll see what the results of this are on my next practice test this weekend.

2) Critical Reasoning - I try to make too large of a leap with my arguments. I have my old Power Score Logical Reasoning Bible that I'm going to crack into for this one. MGMAT was slightly helpful, but I feel like I need more on this. Practice and error analysis should help on this as well.

3) Sentence Correction - MGMAT's strategies should be a big help on this. I'm looking forward to seeing how I do on my next practice test in this area. Also idioms...definitely need to work on those.

Well I guess that's enough of an update for now. Off to read more about Word Problems.

Next practice test will be this weekend. Looking forward to see how my prep has gone so far, given how intermittent it has been.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Haven't even made it half way through the word problems book, but I can definitely say this is an area that I'll be spending some significant time on...Not looking forward to this weekend's practice nearly as much.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MGMAT class last night kind of beat me up psychologically.

I did terrible on the SC questions we reviewed in class, only getting 2 out of roughly 10 correct. As previously stated I've found Verbal to be my stronger section. Last night did not reflect this.

A plus side...on the train to class I was reading my word problems book. In class when we went over examples I was actually able to apply what I had just read in the book. Typically I have not been able to do that so quickly. This is perhaps a positive sign for starting to understand GMAT Math. That being said...I still don't like word problems and will be focusing a great deal of energy in this area during my studying.

Class for next week was cancelled, and our instructor suggested we wait to take CAT 2 until next weekend to give us some extra time to review concepts. I will be away next weekend, so I think I'm still going to move forward with taking CAT 2 this weekend and know that there are still quite a few areas for improvement with whatever score I get.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Since I make a lot of silly arithmetic mistakes on problems I was looking for a simple way to practice my arithmetic and came across the website superkids.com(https://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/math/) which has an automatic worksheet generator to practice basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, exponents, order of operations, etc.

I figure the faster and more accurate I am at all this "basic" stuff the better my GMAT will go since none of the math is actually complicated, just tricky. The more time I can spend focusing on the tricks instead of solving the math, the better.

Next GMAT tomorrow...we'll see how it goes. I haven't actually read the MGMAT sections on AWA or IR yet so I'll be a bit blind on those sections, but we'll see how it goes!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Looks like I still have my work cut out for me....

530 Q37 V27

I have no clue what happened on Verbal...really need to dive into that.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm not sure if anyone is actually reading this or not, but if you are I have a quant question...

Other than practice, review, practice, review, practice, review....any suggestions for learning how to recognize how to solve a problem?

I'm reviewing yesterday's quant section right now, and I don't even have to read the full explanation on many of the questions I got wrong. Once I read how they set up tackling the problem I know exactly how to get to the answer. My issue is I didn't see it in the first place?

I'm going to spend a good chunk of time trying to review this week's test, as well as my first MGMAT CAT to try and drill concepts into my memory. I haven't seem to figure out how to retain information from the books either...so I need to figure that one out better.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Yesterday I gave GMAT. But don't know what goes wrong on the testing center. I need 600+ but my overall score falls to 470 ?? I don't know what goes in verbal, but it was horrible. I just stare in computer screen in verbal part with blank mind and motionless. I didn't know what do to . When I give Kaplan my score was 580-590 but in real test it sank me. . . But still didn't lose hope . .!! Just taking a nap for 3 days then again I will March . .
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I can only imagine the difficulty that investment bankers must go through when studying for the GMAT. Most weeks I only work 40-50 hours but pile on my extracurricular outside of work and I struggle to come up with the necessary time to invest in studying. This is probably going to result in a longer journey than I planned.

So far since Saturday I have gone through my quant section twice. Once to see if I could resolve the questions without any time constraints to determine whether or not I made a careless mistake and really did know how to solve the problem, or if there was truly a gap in knowledge. After this go through I realized I was at about 50/50 split. As I mentioned to my MGMAT instructor, who by the way is extra fantastic, once I would read the first line of the explanation, more times than not I was like “duh!” It’s just honestly been so long since I’ve done any quant work, my brain doesn’t think that way. Also at my instructors suggestion I have coded all the errors I made using the MGMATs suggested error categorization, which really is a good way of breaking up the different types of errors you could make. I also added notes regarding what I did, or think I did, that result in my getting the answer wrong.

My goal is to do something similar for verbal, but likely won’t get to this until Sunday when I’m back from a trip. A quick look at verbal tells me though that I lost my timing in the RC passages. I believe the passages/questions I encountered on this CAT were more difficult than the ones I have practiced so far. RC will definitely continue to be an area I focus on when I get back to doing questions.

I think before doing any more new questions I’m going to go back to my first CAT and review all those questions again as well, prior to moving on to doing more new questions from the OG. This will help me make sure I understand what concept areas I need to focus my studying on over the next few weeks to get my score to the next level.

I also continue doing timed worksheets from superkids.com every morning in order to practice my arithmetic since many of the errors I make are in simple calculation errors which will throw my answer off even if I am solving the question the correct way, causing me to be short on time and then have to guess at an answer.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Also of quick note. For my error log I am using the one designed by Saruba which can be found on the forums here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-error-log-86232.html

I liked the format of this option best, however I did change the tables to coinside with MGMATs error codes and problem types since that is the system I am using through my course with them.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts