GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT official practice test 1 result discussion and way forward

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT official practice test 1 result discussion and way forward  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 13:24
Hi everyone,

After starting my preparation for GMAT 2 months ago, I finally gave the first practice test a couple of days ago. My result on GMAT official practice test 1 is as follows:

IR: 7
Q: 48
V: 28
O: 630

I made a number of silly mistakes in Quant. But, I'm sure with focus and timed practice I will be able to achieve a good score in it.
However, Verbal is something that is giving me chills. I've so far gone through Manhattan SC guide (Basic topics covered) and Powerscore CR guide (Major topics covered).
Plus, I have also solved the official OG guide with fair accuracy (Is the GMAT OG easy?)

I need help to improve my verbal score as I plan to give GMAT 1 month from now and I'm targetting a score of 720+ to secure admit to a top MiM program.

Also, I've realized that my performance in OG was highly variable. I performed irregularly in OG questions even if the questions were of same difficulty. I have a tough time solving verbal questions in the specified time limit.

Any help on how to improve my verbal score will be highly appreciated.

If any other information is required, please ask.
Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT official practice test 1 result discussion and way forward  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 21:55
gaganpreet94 wrote:
Hi everyone,

After starting my preparation for GMAT 2 months ago, I finally gave the first practice test a couple of days ago. My result on GMAT official practice test 1 is as follows:

I made a number of silly mistakes in Quant. But, I'm sure with focus and timed practice I will be able to achieve a good score in it.
However, Verbal is something that is giving me chills. I've so far gone through Manhattan SC guide (Basic topics covered) and Powerscore CR guide (Major topics covered).
Plus, I have also solved the official OG guide with fair accuracy (Is the GMAT OG easy?)

I need help to improve my verbal score as I plan to give GMAT 1 month from now and I'm targetting a score of 720+ to secure admit to a top MiM program.

Also, I've realized that my performance in OG was highly variable. I performed irregularly in OG questions even if the questions were of same difficulty. I have a tough time solving verbal questions in the specified time limit.

Hi
The OG contains few questions of the 700+ level. But IMO the OG + Verbal Review of last 5 years will be sufficient.
For Verbal improvement, the following post will help you:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 42361.html

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S
Re: GMAT official practice test 1 result discussion and way forward  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2018, 15:41
gaganpreet94 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hi gaganpreet94!

Happy to help :-)

It will definitely be quite difficult to raise your score by that amount in such a relatively short amount of time. However, there are a few things that you can do in the next few weeks to help maximize your score!

First, I recommend reading through this article:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

It covers all the essential things you need to do to improve your Verbal score, regardless of the amount of time you have to study :-)

One very important thing you should be doing in these last few weeks is going back through your old incorrect questions. One of the most important parts of studying effectively, possibly the most important part, is learning from your mistakes. That means carefully revisiting every single question you get wrong and spending ample time analyzing why you got it wrong, how you could have gotten it right, and what you can learn to avoid the mistake in the future.

Mike wrote an awesome blog post about this some time ago which I highly recommend. Basically, studying your mistakes gives you maximum improvement. So, go back through the explanations, study the related concepts, research any methods you're not comfortable with that are mentioned in the solution, and really analyze the questions. Doing so will help you solidify your understanding of the question and concepts being tested, preparing yourself for similar questions in the future.

As you go back through the old questions, try to notice any patterns in your incorrect answers. You'll probably find that there are specific question types, or concepts, that you tend to struggle with. Those are the ones that you want to focus on. When you identify an area like this, look up the relevant strategies for that particular question type or subject. A good starting point for that is the Magoosh Blog - just search for whatever you want to work on. The blog also has additional strategies, as well as challenge practice questions :-)

Finally, I think that Magoosh could really help you. We have a large lesson library designed to teach you all the content and strategies you need, and it comes with 1000+ high quality GMAT Practice questions of all levels. When you submit your answer to either question, the following page will have a full video explanation of the question. Each Magoosh question comes with its own VE, a mini-lesson about the question right there. This sort of immediate feedback, right after each question, will provide the accelerated learning that you need to make major improvements.

I hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have further questions about anything here :-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Re: GMAT official practice test 1 result discussion and way forward &nbs [#permalink] 02 Sep 2018, 15:41

GMAT official practice test 1 result discussion and way forward

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: mikemcgarry

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap