Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: GMAT or GRE + GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
JusTLucK04 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
JusTLucK04 wrote:
I did my graduation in Civil from a decent government college(Non-IIT) in 2012 from India(70.2%).I realized that I was not so interested in Civil & opted to work as a Research Analyst at a Local Market Research Start up firm.
My initial projects were related to my civil background(Some town planning and Slum Rehabilitation studies) but I slowly transitioned to the core Product Research,Market studies/Consulting etc in the next & a half.
To build the relevant profile & get an admit in a good US B -school was the main idea behind this switch in field.I then inquired with a consultant on my chances for Ross 15/16 with a GMAT score of 750 & the above profile.To my shock,He said I should rather work for a civil firm for a year or two more..relate my current 2 years of MR experience with civil projects and then go for an MBA or rather go for MS and then an MBA
His reasoning's were partially based on the fact that
1.US B schools pay a great weight-age to you graduation field & such an abrupt change from the same is taken in a negative sense.
2.Market Research exp in India will not provide a good platform for working on consulting assignments in US and thus I might have issues with post MBA employments
3.Very less civil guys opt for an MBA & my profile will thus stand-out among the IT people.

If this is true,I have wasted 2 precious years based on my wrong presumptions and have to start again in my core field.That I am willing to do if some expert vouches for the above facts because I do not wish to face the same situation again 2 years down the line.

To add to the above facts:
Volunteering Exp-Yes.
Extra Activities: None to mention about

Hello good sir,
Weeeeeeeell I don't think you have to "start again", but I DO think that you should wait one more year. Right now, your work experience is on the low end of things, and that translate into less leadership, less stories, less achievements than some of the more experienced folks. And it's not just a question of average age or average work experience (although that counts too).

Now as far as Marketing Research or Civil, honestly neither is better than the other. What is important is rather how well YOU are doing in your respective industry, how good/large your employer is, and how quickly you are advancing. People go to Bschool from any and every industry, and although there are some privileged industries (like PE, Biotech, Consulting) and employers (Google, McKinsey, Apple), you can get into great programs from anywhere.

Soo what I would suggest is: First get some extra activities in your profile! Second, get more leadership if you can at work or anywhere else. Third, ace that GMAT!

Hope this helps,
Best,
JF

Thanks A lot Jon...Got the message..

You're welcome dude.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts