GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 May 2020, 22:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Prep 710 and 720, Real GMAT 620 What should I do??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT Prep 710 and 720, Real GMAT 620 What should I do??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2020, 05:28
Hi everyone,

I just had GMAT exam today and I was so shocked when I saw the unofficial reports. I have constantly scored at a 80% in OG both verbal and quant in timed conditions, and I do strictly adhere to the no notes no calculators rule when was attending the GMAT prep exams...

Yet here I am today , sitting with a disappointing 620. Now I am struggling to find the materials to patch up my knowledge gaps and polish my exam skills, and I really cannot afford things that are too expensive.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

P.S. I am a sophomore student and I still have 2-4 months to spare on GMAT.

I would much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Strugglin

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Prep 710 and 720, Real GMAT 620 What should I do??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2020, 15:19
Hi Strugglin

I would like to share with you my experience regarding the quant. I got Q51 with no course, but with the help of the content of this club.

here is my recipe:
1- study each topic from this megathread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gmat-quantitative-megathread-244512.html#p1886497
2- After each topic, don't jump to the next until you practice questions on it.
3- After finishing a topic, go to the questionbank https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags
4- choose the same topic, start with the easy difficulty, and choose known sources only (Offical guide, Kaplan, Veritas, Manhattan,....) and click search
5- rearrange the questions in decending order according to the number of kudos.
6- Solve the top questions (easy top 50) (medium top 25) (hard top 15)
7- for each question, use the time counter.
8- for any question that you solved too slow or solved wrong, add it to you bookmark.
9- read the explanation of each questions thoroughly (both right and wrong ones)
10- pay attention to how the questions are answered and the concept behind
11- if you find any new concept or formula, write it down in a separate paper for your reference.
12- repeat these steps for each topic by advancing from easy to medium to hard.
13- don't skip a level without making sure that the previous level is mastered (easy 90%, medium 80%, hard 65%)
14- don't skip a day without solving quant.

Gmatclub already includes a great question bank with detailed answers for all the verbal topics from professional sources and answers by experts such as GMATninja,
But here is some of the paid courses if you need to save some time:
for SC, try e-gmat SC course.
For CR and RC, Manhattan would be a good help.

Here is my 2 cents, stay safe
GMATWhiz Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 21:42
Strugglin wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just had GMAT exam today and I was so shocked when I saw the unofficial reports. I have constantly scored at a 80% in OG both verbal and quant in timed conditions, and I do strictly adhere to the no notes no calculators rule when was attending the GMAT prep exams...

Yet here I am today , sitting with a disappointing 620. Now I am struggling to find the materials to patch up my knowledge gaps and polish my exam skills, and I really cannot afford things that are too expensive.

Sincerely,
Strugglin

Sorry to hear that you scored only 620 despite scoring 700+ on GMAT Prep mocks. I would like to help you with the right study strategy but for that I would like to know the Quant and Verbal score breakdown along with the time that you can dedicate to studies every week. Please share the details with me, so that I can help you with the right strategy.

GMAT Prep truly Personalized using Technology

Prepare from an application driven course that serves real-time improvement modules along with a well-defined adaptive study plan. Start a free trial to experience it yourself and get access to 25 videos and 300 GMAT styled questions.

Helpful Links

Score Improvement Strategy: How to score Q50+ on GMAT | 5 steps to Improve your Verbal score
Study Plan Articles: 3 mistakes to avoid while preparing | How to create a study plan? | The Right Order of Learning | Importance of Error Log
Helpful Quant Strategies: Filling Spaces Method | Avoid Double Counting in P&C | The Art of Not Assuming anything in DS | Number Line Method
Key Verbal Techniques: Plan-Goal Framework in CR | Quantifiers the tiny Game-changers | Countable vs Uncountable Nouns | Tackling Confusing Words in Main Point
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.3
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2020, 00:00
Strugglin wrote:
Hi everyone,

Sincerely,
Strugglin

For quantitative, solve GMAT Club tests with understanding and practice the similar type of math from the group in which you are weak.

For verbal, solve official questions bank with understanding the explanation and do not solely take part in test of the official question. Find out where you are making mistake in the official question.

You have to analyze your mistake in both quantitative and verbal portion.

Kindly give me +1 Kudos if you like the suggestion. Best of luck your next try.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT Prep 710 and 720, Real GMAT 620 What should I do??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2020, 22:10
Thank you for all the comments. It feels really nice to have someone hear me out.

Below are the results of my prep test and the real deal:
GMAT Official Practice 1: Q47 V40 (710)
GMAT Official Practice 2: Q49 V40 IR4(720)
Real Deal GMAT :Q46 V27 IR7 AWA(Computer)5.5 (620)

I have purchased the enhanced score report in hopes of getting a deeper understanding on what has happened.
Verbal part
0-15 minutes: I did a decent job,
16-30 minutes:as difficulty moves up my score was horrific,
31-45 minutes: the difficulty went down and I did alright,
45-60 minutes: i did terrible job in this part and I spent significantly less time (10-20s) on each questions than in the previous sections

Quant
0-15 minutes: I did a decent job
16-30 minutes:the difficulty climbed up but I managed to deliver a good result
31-45 minutes: To my surprise I did an excellent job, i did not get a single question wrong
46-60 minutes: The difficulty jumped too high that i got ALL the questions wrong

IR was a rollercoaster
I forgot to time my break and I ended up losing 30 secs, but I outperform my expectations

AWA
I cancelled my score right away so my paper was not graded by a human( I guess). However, I do get canned feedback from the computer and I believed I scored a 5.5. P.S. I followed the Chineseburnt AWA template and did not change a thing.
GMATWhiz Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2020, 22:35
Hi Strugglin. I can understand how you might be feeling at this moment. It definitely helps to have someone understand your situation and help you out.

Looking at the data that you have shared I do have a hunch as to what could have happened. However, to ensure that I'm thinking in the right direction, I would like to have a discussion with you and also look at your ESR. We can connect over messages or directly on a call to discuss your study strategy from hereon. You can use this link to schedule a call with me.

Regards,
Piyush Beriwala
GMAT Strategy Consultant
GMAT 740 (Q50, V41)

GMAT Prep truly Personalized using Technology

Prepare from an application driven course that serves real-time improvement modules along with a well-defined adaptive study plan. Start a free trial to experience it yourself and get access to 25 videos and 300 GMAT styled questions.

Helpful Links

Score Improvement Strategy: How to score Q50+ on GMAT | 5 steps to Improve your Verbal score
Study Plan Articles: 3 mistakes to avoid while preparing | How to create a study plan? | The Right Order of Learning | Importance of Error Log
Helpful Quant Strategies: Filling Spaces Method | Avoid Double Counting in P&C | The Art of Not Assuming anything in DS | Number Line Method
Key Verbal Techniques: Plan-Goal Framework in CR | Quantifiers the tiny Game-changers | Countable vs Uncountable Nouns | Tackling Confusing Words in Main Point
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Prep 710 and 720, Real GMAT 620 What should I do??   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2020, 22:35

GMAT Prep 710 and 720, Real GMAT 620 What should I do??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics