GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 10:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

gmat prep: again

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
gmat prep: again  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 20:24
Hi

I gave gmat last week and scored 650 vs target score 720. The problems I am facing right now are
1) what all test series to use for my preparation now as I have already take Manhattan, Veritas and Gmatprep all 6 tests
2) How can I improve my verbal.During the exam I didn't feel that I am doing okay, but the result was completely different than my imagination. I scored v28 while in last 3 practice with gmatprep I scored v34,v35 and v38. I am trying to understand what all mistake I am making during exams.
Please suggest. thanks in advance :)
examPAL Representative
G
Re: gmat prep: again  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 23:13
1) I think it is less important for you to find new mock tests to take, and more important to pause and make sure you have made the most of those you have taken. By this I mean - analyse your tests.
This means spending at least 4-5 hours reviewing each test.
a) Collect all the questions you got wrong and resolve them, making a separate list of reasons you got them wrong.

b) After going over your entire performance, make decisions on three separate levels: do I need to go over any of the test fundamentals? This may be the case if you missed rules, formulas or basic techniques on the mock exam.

c) Next, ask yourself: do I need to rethink my answer strategies? If you wasted time or got questions wrong when other answer tools were available, maybe it’s time to think of using new strategies.

d) Lastly: do you need to rethink your overarching chapter strategies? If you found yourself running out of time, you may have to reevaluate how many questions you’re going for in each section, how many you will skip, and which ones those will be. Finally, conclude your analysis with three goals for your next mock test, to make sure the improvement continues.

2. about verbal - I'd have to know a bit ore before I can give detailed advice. some thoughts, though:
What you do need to do is 1) spend some time analysing your performance, and 2) weighing whether you need to change your answer strategies.
Many people, for example, make the mistake of reading all answer choices in all questions; with the clock running, you can’t afford to do this! Many Verbal questions are ones where all the relevant information is in the question itself, and you can use the PRECISE approach to answer the question directly, and avoid becoming confused by the answers. Other questions are those in which there is a general LOGICAL rule that can help answer the question quickly – reading all answers is a waste of time here as well. Only about a third of the questions are those in which it is necessary or preferable to go over all the answer choices (using the ALTERNATIVE approach). The trick is, of course, figuring out which question is which, and this requires concentrated study, checking not only whether you got the question right, but also whether you did so quickly and efficiently.

Before I offer you any personal advice, I'd appreciate the answers to a few questions:
1. Have you maintained and used an error log?
2. Have you ordered an ESR? If so, please attach it here, I'll be happy to analyze it for you.
3. When you took your CATs, did you make sure to take them in the same time conditions as the real exam? (without pausing / splitting into parts)

anurag2018 wrote:
Hi

I gave gmat last week and scored 650 vs target score 720. The problems I am facing right now are
1) what all test series to use for my preparation now as I have already take Manhattan, Veritas and Gmatprep all 6 tests
2) How can I improve my verbal.During the exam I didn't feel that I am doing okay, but the result was completely different than my imagination. I scored v28 while in last 3 practice with gmatprep I scored v34,v35 and v38. I am trying to understand what all mistake I am making during exams.

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 00:39
anurag2018 wrote:
Hi

Hi anurag2018,

For verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. If you have already exhausted the GMATPREPs and Manhattan GMAT tests/ Veritas Prep Tests, you can try out Kaplan or Experts global CATs. They have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GPA: 3.56
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 00:42
anurag2018 wrote:
Hi

Please give a try to Aristotle books (Wiley's GMAT sentence Correction Grail, CR Grail and RC grail). I am preparing with those and so far happy with it.

The Graceful
----------------------------------------------------------
Every EXPERT was a beginner once...
Don't look at the clock. Do what it does, keep going
To achieve great things, two things are needed:a plan and not quite enough time - Leonard Bernstein.

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 17:15
Hi anurag2018,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Before providing specific advice, I’d like to learn more about your situation with the GMAT. I have some questions:

1) What was the score breakdown of your GMAT?

2) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

3) Please describe how you studied. For how many hours a day did you study and for how many months?

4) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

5) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

6) For how many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

7) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

Once I learn a bit more about you, I can provide some detailed advice.

You may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 19:05
anurag2018 wrote:
Hi

You've taken a lot of tests. Were your verbal scores consistently around 35? If so, maybe the 28 is not representative of what you are capable of. Check whether you were already familiar with any of the questions on your practice tests (that could have inflated the score estimates you received) and whether you took your practice tests under conditions similar to actual exam conditions (for example, no pausing).

Also, you might have to work with some of the tests you already have. Switching to new material won't help if that material is not good.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 20:19
anurag2018 wrote:
Hi

Hi
I agree with the above posts. Its better to analyze the tests thoroughly that you have taken already.
Identify your weakness and work on it.
For Verbal, I think the following post will help you:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 42361.html

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

GMAT Club Bot
Re: gmat prep: again &nbs [#permalink] 22 Aug 2018, 20:19

gmat prep: again

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap