GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Jun 2018, 09:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 6
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.8
GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 20:21
Hi guys,

This is my first post in the forum :)

I took the GMAT Prep Exam 4 a few days ago and scored a low score of 570 (Q-40 V-28). However, I was a bit confused about how I got scored on this test from the analysis I made from the no.of questions I got correct, % of questions I got correct and where I made those mistakes. I took a look at my mistakes and there were some silly errors that I could have avoided.

I understand that we can never predict the GMAT scoring algorithm but something looks strange. With just 13 questions wrong in Quant, my score fell drastically to a 40? Also I've got only ~2 questions wrong in my first 10 questions in quant and verbal. Is there something wrong here? Should I be worried about the score. Was the test a bit too harsh on the scoring? Please advice.

To give you a better understanding -
My mistakes were as follows:
Quant: Total 13 incorrect (Missed ques - 1, 2, 12, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 26, 27, 35, 36, 37)
Verbal: Total 15 incorrect (Missed ques - 4, 9, 11, 14, 16, 17, 25, 27, 28, 30, 34, 36, 37, 39, 40)

My analysis:
% correct: PS - 60%, DS - 74%, SC - 77%, CR - 45%, RC - 62% (Inspite of this my RC score was 21!!)

Looking forward to your advice
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 6
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.8
Re: GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 20:35
bb looking forward to your advice!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 161
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 21:51
1
abhalla06 wrote:
Hi guys,

This is my first post in the forum :)

I took the GMAT Prep Exam 4 a few days ago and scored a low score of 570 (Q-40 V-28). However, I was a bit confused about how I got scored on this test from the analysis I made from the no.of questions I got correct, % of questions I got correct and where I made those mistakes. I took a look at my mistakes and there were some silly errors that I could have avoided.

I understand that we can never predict the GMAT scoring algorithm but something looks strange. With just 13 questions wrong in Quant, my score fell drastically to a 40? Also I've got only ~2 questions wrong in my first 10 questions in quant and verbal. Is there something wrong here? Should I be worried about the score. Was the test a bit too harsh on the scoring? Please advice.

To give you a better understanding -
My mistakes were as follows:
Quant: Total 13 incorrect (Missed ques - 1, 2, 12, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 26, 27, 35, 36, 37)
Verbal: Total 15 incorrect (Missed ques - 4, 9, 11, 14, 16, 17, 25, 27, 28, 30, 34, 36, 37, 39, 40)

My analysis:
% correct: PS - 60%, DS - 74%, SC - 77%, CR - 45%, RC - 62% (Inspite of this my RC score was 21!!)

Looking forward to your advice
Thanks!


Number of correct answers is not an accurate indicator of why the score fell. The difficulty level of the questions you get wrong will determine how much the score will fall.

So someone who gets 10 easy questions wrong will have a lower score than someone who gets 10 difficult questions wrong.
_________________

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 6
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.8
Re: GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 22:01
Thanks Nishant. In quant I got 2-3 easy questions, 5-6 medium level questions and 3-4 hard qustions wrong. That probably explains the drop. However, is it also because of the no. of questions that you get wrong in a row that has led to the drop? In quant I got 4 wrong in a row (19-22) and 3 wrong towards the end (35-37). However, I've also got 12 correct in the row (4-16) in this section at the beginning of the test. I've always heard that the first 10 are very important. Also if i miss an easy question, do I need to obtain 12 questions correctly to get back to score that I was at? That sounds a bit strange. Just a little confused here.
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3654
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 23:33
abhalla06 wrote:
Thanks Nishant. In quant I got 2-3 easy questions, 5-6 medium level questions and 3-4 hard qustions wrong. That probably explains the drop. However, is it also because of the no. of questions that you get wrong in a row that has led to the drop? In quant I got 4 wrong in a row (19-22) and 3 wrong towards the end (35-37). However, I've also got 12 correct in the row (4-16) in this section at the beginning of the test. I've always heard that the first 10 are very important. Also if i miss an easy question, do I need to obtain 12 questions correctly to get back to score that I was at? That sounds a bit strange. Just a little confused here.


Yes, that is correct. Getting wrong questions in row punishes you very badly. So, you should avoid doing that. It is not about getting those 12 questions correct. Since you had few questions incorrect in a row, you are prevented from getting higher level questions at the end. Hence, your end score was impacted.

If you could share the ESR, that would be helpful to provide more analysis.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

How to use an Error Log? Check out my tips!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 6
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.8
Re: GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 00:49
Thanks abhimahna!

This was a GMAT Prep test 4. Just to understand correctly, do you like me to share the quant and verbal performance scores? (ESR)
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3654
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 01:30
abhalla06 wrote:
Thanks abhimahna!

This was a GMAT Prep test 4. Just to understand correctly, do you like me to share the quant and verbal performance scores? (ESR)


It is always advisable to provide the ESRs to get proper analysis.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

How to use an Error Log? Check out my tips!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jan 2016
Posts: 727
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 11:35
1
abhalla06 wrote:
Hi guys,

This is my first post in the forum :)

I took the GMAT Prep Exam 4 a few days ago and scored a low score of 570 (Q-40 V-28). However, I was a bit confused about how I got scored on this test from the analysis I made from the no.of questions I got correct, % of questions I got correct and where I made those mistakes. I took a look at my mistakes and there were some silly errors that I could have avoided.

I understand that we can never predict the GMAT scoring algorithm but something looks strange. With just 13 questions wrong in Quant, my score fell drastically to a 40? Also I've got only ~2 questions wrong in my first 10 questions in quant and verbal. Is there something wrong here? Should I be worried about the score. Was the test a bit too harsh on the scoring? Please advice.

To give you a better understanding -
My mistakes were as follows:
Quant: Total 13 incorrect (Missed ques - 1, 2, 12, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 26, 27, 35, 36, 37)
Verbal: Total 15 incorrect (Missed ques - 4, 9, 11, 14, 16, 17, 25, 27, 28, 30, 34, 36, 37, 39, 40)

My analysis:
% correct: PS - 60%, DS - 74%, SC - 77%, CR - 45%, RC - 62% (Inspite of this my RC score was 21!!)

Looking forward to your advice
Thanks!



Hi there ,
GMAT prep is the closest to the Actual GMAT .

The first question of the quant section happens to be the easiest and you have missed out on that . Which lowered the difficulty for you and the second question was of an even lower level and you missed that , hence the low score. 19-22 4 mistakes in a row. It hits you a lot doesn't it?

In the verbal section , most of the questions towards the end are wrong , that further decreases your score.

My advice is stop focusing on the scoring algorithm. Start focusing on improving concepts. I'm sure you'll join the 700 club

Cheers
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 6
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.8
Re: GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 02:10
Thanks Hatakekakashi for your detailed response.

I wrote the GMAT Prep 3 test and got a score of 650 (Q-46 and V-34). Now what is strange here is that I got 17 errors wrong in both sections!

I must add that I did this test sometime ago (few months) and some questions were repeated so the score is definitely inflated to my performance level. However, the GMAT alogorithm still perturbes me :)

I've got more mistakes and a chunk of errors (please see below). I dont know how to interpret such varied scores.

Breakdown:
Quant: PS - 46, DS - 44, Arithmatic - 47, Geom/Algebra - 42
Verbal: CR - 37, RC - 31, SC - 35

Errors:
Quant: 2, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 21, 22, 23, 29, 32, 33, 34, 36, 37
Verbal: 2, 8, 9, 15, 18, 19, 23, 24, 26, 27, 28, 35, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 (5 in row! yes 5 in a row!)
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jan 2016
Posts: 727
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 03:09
2
abhalla06 wrote:
Thanks Hatakekakashi for your detailed response.

I wrote the GMAT Prep 3 test and got a score of 650 (Q-46 and V-34). Now what is strange here is that I got 17 errors wrong in both sections!

I must add that I did this test sometime ago (few months) and some questions were repeated so the score is definitely inflated to my performance level. However, the GMAT alogorithm still perturbes me :)

I've got more mistakes and a chunk of errors (please see below). I dont know how to interpret such varied scores.

Breakdown:
Quant: PS - 46, DS - 44, Arithmatic - 47, Geom/Algebra - 42
Verbal: CR - 37, RC - 31, SC - 35

Errors:
Quant: 2, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 21, 22, 23, 29, 32, 33, 34, 36, 37
Verbal: 2, 8, 9, 15, 18, 19, 23, 24, 26, 27, 28, 35, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 (5 in row! yes 5 in a row!)



Hi again ,
As i have stated earlier , focus on improving your weak areas. The last questions you might have got wrong towards the end of the exam are experimental questions. If you solve them correctly/wrongly it wont add to your score , but if you do get it correct , chances are that you will surely increase the difficulty of questions.

Regards,
HK

PS - kudos if this helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
D
Joined: 02 Jan 2017
Posts: 314
Location: Canada
Reviews Badge
GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 05:11
GMAT prep tests are the close indicator of your ability.you just need one thing don't do wrong questions in a row.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Jan 2018
Posts: 1
Re: GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 07:49
Hi guys I have a similar question.

I have done several practice tests from the GMAT prep software and the scores are all weird.

I got a 640 on one test with 32 total questions wrong..

Just did another test and got 550 but total 22 questions wrong.

Now for both exams the questions I got wrong were very similar in the spacing of correct/incorrect pattern.

So why the huge swing in score??

Btw I am still using the old software that has the longer length exams. If that makes any difference at all?
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 1475
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 20:09
laurentcalkoen wrote:
Hi guys I have a similar question.

I have done several practice tests from the GMAT prep software and the scores are all weird.

I got a 640 on one test with 32 total questions wrong..

Just did another test and got 550 but total 22 questions wrong.

Now for both exams the questions I got wrong were very similar in the spacing of correct/incorrect pattern.

So why the huge swing in score??

Btw I am still using the old software that has the longer length exams. If that makes any difference at all?
It's unlikely that the scores are wrong. It's just that the number of correct/incorrect answers is not usually a very good indicator of performance. What you should do is look for broad trends and discard any information based on only a few tests/questions.
_________________

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 20 Apr 2018
Posts: 51
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 20:17
Please let me know if you find some clue to this. I am also planning to give my mock soon and I want to do well.

abhalla06 wrote:
Hi guys,

This is my first post in the forum :)

I took the GMAT Prep Exam 4 a few days ago and scored a low score of 570 (Q-40 V-28). However, I was a bit confused about how I got scored on this test from the analysis I made from the no.of questions I got correct, % of questions I got correct and where I made those mistakes. I took a look at my mistakes and there were some silly errors that I could have avoided.

I understand that we can never predict the GMAT scoring algorithm but something looks strange. With just 13 questions wrong in Quant, my score fell drastically to a 40? Also I've got only ~2 questions wrong in my first 10 questions in quant and verbal. Is there something wrong here? Should I be worried about the score. Was the test a bit too harsh on the scoring? Please advice.

To give you a better understanding -
My mistakes were as follows:
Quant: Total 13 incorrect (Missed ques - 1, 2, 12, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 26, 27, 35, 36, 37)
Verbal: Total 15 incorrect (Missed ques - 4, 9, 11, 14, 16, 17, 25, 27, 28, 30, 34, 36, 37, 39, 40)

My analysis:
% correct: PS - 60%, DS - 74%, SC - 77%, CR - 45%, RC - 62% (Inspite of this my RC score was 21!!)

Looking forward to your advice
Thanks!

_________________

Please press +1 Kudos if you find my post/reply helpful

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jan 2017
Posts: 11
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 04:30
My GMAT Prep exams were higher than my real one!
Re: GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring?   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2018, 04:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Prep Software Tests - Something wrong in scoring?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.