GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Mar 2019, 23:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Prep : Unsure of my preparation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Quant   Verbal   

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Economics
GMAT Date: 06-26-2013
GPA: 3.85
GMAT Prep : Unsure of my preparation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 08:06
Hi friends,

I started my GMAT preparation in January and till now I had invested around 100 hours. Till now I was reading the fundamentals and concepts. Still I think the concepts are not 100% done.

Quant: Good at PS. Bad at DS
Verbal:
RC-The accuracy fluctuates between 30% & 90%. In 1 session I get 80-90% correct and in the other 30-40%. I am really frustrated after seeing such huge fluctuations.
CR-This is like finding the right culprit among many. Looks like detective work. Haven't been serious about this till now.
SC-I am just grazing grass (concepts) here.

Should I invest more time in studying fundamentals ?
Or should I start solving more questions?
Or should I write more prep exams?

I am really confused and losing motivation. Please . Thanks in advance.
S
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GPA: 3.86
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 08:28
I suggest that you continue solving questions and maintain an error log. Use the error log to identify your weak areas, review the concepts for the weak areas and solve a lot of problems from the weak areas after reviewing concepts.

This article (https://blog.targettestprep.com/how-to- ... 0-on-gmat/) might help.

Best wishes!

vin2win wrote:
Hi friends,

I started my GMAT preparation in January and till now I had invested around 100 hours. Till now I was reading the fundamentals and concepts. Still I think the concepts are not 100% done.

Verbal:
RC-The accuracy fluctuates between 30% & 90%. In 1 session I get 80-90% correct and in the other 30-40%. I am really frustrated after seeing such huge fluctuations.
CR-This is like finding the right culprit among many. Looks like detective work. Haven't been serious about this till now.

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: ISB '20 (D), NUS '21
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.3
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 09:00
vin2win wrote:
Hi friends,

Verbal:

Relax! Everyone faces such resistances during initial days of preparation, but actual learning and improvement begins when one overcomes these problems. You'll improve as long as you're focused on finding solutions, rather than losing the motivation. So don't worry and keep moving forward in your preparation.

I think your study method so far hasn't helped you, so changing that should lead to improvement. What's generally true is that knowing the concepts and knowing how to apply those concepts to solve questions are two different things. You seem to be aware of the concepts, but it seems you're not in the habit of making use of them for application. So, don't just learn concepts, start solving questions to learn their application, which is what ultimately matters in the test.

Follow the steps below to master a topic:

1. Learn the concept
2. Solve a few questions, starting with the easiest and then gradually progressing to the the hardest ones, on that topic
3. Analyse solutions to the question to strengthen your understanding and to identify your knowledge gaps
4. Go back to concept files to fill conceptual gaps
5. Repeat 1 to 4 till you achieve a required ability in that topic
6. Move to a new topic

To maximize learning and to save time to improve, it's essential that you:

1. Track your performance constantly- Tracking your performance will reveal you key points about your level of preparation. So, maintain an Error Log of questions that you've
attempted and make crisp notes about your takeaways from each of those questions.

2. Revise your topics- Revision will ensure that your learning is well established in your head, leading to improved speed of solving questions and higher accuracy. So maintain a
balance between learning new topics and revising the one's already covered.

3. Create a weekly and monthly study plan, and then stick to it- Following a structured plan brings discipline and stability in preparation

4. Attempt questions under a clock- It's important that from the begging you're in the habit of applying your concepts under the optimum time.

I hope my suggestions will help you improve. In case you want to know anything else, feel free to ask.

If my response was helpful, kindly contribute a Kudos.

B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Economics
GMAT Date: 06-26-2013
GPA: 3.85
Re: GMAT Prep : Unsure of my preparation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 15:09
iamsiddharthkapoor wrote:
vin2win wrote:
Hi friends,

Verbal:

Relax! Everyone faces such resistances during initial days of preparation, but actual learning and improvement begins when one overcomes these problems. You'll improve as long as you're focused on finding solutions, rather than losing the motivation. So don't worry and keep moving forward in your preparation.

I think your study method so far hasn't helped you, so changing that should lead to improvement. What's generally true is that knowing the concepts and knowing how to apply those concepts to solve questions are two different things. You seem to be aware of the concepts, but it seems you're not in the habit of making use of them for application. So, don't just learn concepts, start solving questions to learn their application, which is what ultimately matters in the test.

Follow the steps below to master a topic:

1. Learn the concept
2. Solve a few questions, starting with the easiest and then gradually progressing to the the hardest ones, on that topic
3. Analyse solutions to the question to strengthen your understanding and to identify your knowledge gaps
4. Go back to concept files to fill conceptual gaps
5. Repeat 1 to 4 till you achieve a required ability in that topic
6. Move to a new topic

To maximize learning and to save time to improve, it's essential that you:

1. Track your performance constantly- Tracking your performance will reveal you key points about your level of preparation. So, maintain an Error Log of questions that you've
attempted and make crisp notes about your takeaways from each of those questions.

2. Revise your topics- Revision will ensure that your learning is well established in your head, leading to improved speed of solving questions and higher accuracy. So maintain a
balance between learning new topics and revising the one's already covered.

3. Create a weekly and monthly study plan, and then stick to it- Following a structured plan brings discipline and stability in preparation

4. Attempt questions under a clock- It's important that from the begging you're in the habit of applying your concepts under the optimum time.

I hope my suggestions will help you improve. In case you want to know anything else, feel free to ask.

If my response was helpful, kindly contribute a Kudos.

Thanks for your feedback. I will re-calibrate my prep plan based on your inputs :cool:
Re: GMAT Prep : Unsure of my preparation   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2019, 15:09

GMAT Prep : Unsure of my preparation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap