GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 11:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Q33 to Q44 ??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
GMAT Q33 to Q44 ??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 18:17
Hi,

Recently I am stuck at around Q33 after 10% of the official guide study.
Seemed the most questions was asking critical thinking rather than simple problem-solving.
In terms of verbal, I got V33 and V36. Is this good or not?

If I solve the whole 266 of medium and hard questions, would the score get reached to at least 40?
Also Please let me know how to be critical thinking to solve hard questions.

It seemed it took more than 5 minutes to solve a hard question if I could solve it
It was really hard to solve it within 2- 3 minutes.
I guess I am feeling I am not a genius to deal with such hard questions.

Also, I want to know how long it takes to Q44 from Q33 based on your experiences

Thank you
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: GMAT Q33 to Q44 ??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 21:00
zmzm wrote:
Hi,

Seemed the most questions was asking critical thinking rather than simple problem-solving.

If I solve the whole 266 of medium and hard questions, would the score get reached to at least 40?
Also Please let me know how to be critical thinking to solve hard questions.

It seemed it took more than 5 minutes to solve a hard question if I could solve it

Also, I want to know how long it takes to Q44 from Q33 based on your experiences

Thank you
There is no one answer to your questions on time needed to get to Q44 and the number of questions that need to be solved for a score of 40.

V33 is 68% and V36 is 80%. I'd say that V33 is a good score, and V36 is a very good score (on average, not for any specific individual).

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 07:30
Wow, however, your score of GMAT is far.... more than I got.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 11:31
zmzm wrote:
Hi,

That's a totally correct observation. It's really not a math (or grammar) test - you have to know the basics of math and grammar, but beyond that, it's not about learning the advanced stuff. It's more about executive reasoning (a concept that includes various types of decision-making).

Quote:

It depends on what programs you're applying to! Do you know what overall score you're aiming for? This score calculator will show you what Verbal and Quant scores are required for that:

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/gmat ... alculator/

For instance, if your goal is 700 overall, and you have a 36 on Verbal, you'd need to get about a 49 on Quant.

Quote:

Yes and no. If you solve all of those questions, you'll have seen all of the basic content that can appear on the test: there won't be any big surprises waiting for you.

However, seeing the content doesn't necessarily mean you'll be good at solving new problems, on the fly, within a strict time limit - which is what you'll need to do on test day.

Now, you can use the Official Guide problems to improve your problem-solving skills, but it's not enough to 'just' solve the problems. At a minimum, you should keep a log of the problems you do and your takeaways from them, and regularly review and redo old problems that you found difficult. You should probably also spend some time learning any content you don't know before you attempt the hard problems. With the way the GMAT works, you should mostly see problems that the test thinks you might get right. So, if a problem is much harder than the ones you've been getting right so far, you'll never see it on test day. (Similarly, you won't see many problems that are very easy. Most of the problems should be right at your level or a bit harder.)

Quote:

This is probably the hardest thing about the GMAT. Solving a problem in two minutes is a very, very different task from solving it in five minutes. A two-minute solution doesn't just come from taking your five-minute solution and 'doing it faster'. It often comes from choosing a different approach entirely. This is one reason it might be smart for you to take a prep course (or at least pick up some good prep books) - they'll run through the more efficient solutions to problems.

Quote:

Hard to say, since improvement on the GMAT is rarely linear. The best I can say is that you should take a few practice tests over the next 4-6 weeks and give it your best guess based on that - if you get a 40 on your next practice test two weeks from now, you'll probably improve more quickly than if you get a 35 on your next practice test. But even that isn't a guarantee. (Be careful not to take too many practice tests too close together, either. Save them for when you think you'll probably see improvement.)

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
GMAT Q33 to Q44 ??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 11:44
Wow, this is the best answer that I did not get anywhere. Thank you and where is your teaching place in class?
I discovered I am not good at even medium level questions in data sufficiency in math. I may have a big improvement as long as I get improvement in understanding questions and answers. I need to think twice in order for a right answer. DS is a very tricky part for me. Thanks
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 19:04
Hi zmzm,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. In order to improve your verbal and quant skills, you probably are going to need to follow a more thorough study plan. At the moment, you seem to be just practicing questions from the OG, and although practice is an important component of GMAT prep, such practice is only beneficial after you have studied the necessary topics on which those questions are based. So, solving 266 questions probably will not be enough to get you to your quant and verbal score goals. Thus, moving forward, consider using an additional resource that allows you FIRST to learn the concepts and strategies related to GMAT quant and verbal and SECOND to practice with a large number of realistic questions.

If you’d like to see what is available, take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about
how to improve your GMAT quant score.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Q33 to Q44 ?? &nbs [#permalink] 29 Sep 2018, 19:04

GMAT Q33 to Q44 ??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap