Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools:Texas (accepted) , Chicago Booth (accepted), Stanford (denied), London Business School (accepted)
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Adil wrote:
Harvard, Stanford and Columbia love young applicants

Those schools may love young applicants, but I think people tend to overestimate how many are actually admitted.

At Stanford, less than 3% of the incoming class has less than 1 year of work experience (according to businessweek). That means 10 people per year. At Columbia it's also less than 3%, but since it's a larger school that's about 15 people per year. BW does not give this stat for Harvard.

Frankly, the 10 people at Stanford and 15 people at Columbia that are admitted with <1 year of experience are not the types that score 680 on the GMAT. The types that gain these seats can score 750+ with zero effort - in addition to being stellar in every other aspect of their applications.

That last part is just my opinion but the numbers are facts.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Not enough meaningful experience? [#permalink]
Hiya, I've got a few friends over at Wharton who scored 660 - 680 and another friend who got into Columbia with a 650 (early decision), although she was a dame and that might have helped. She also got 650 twice but managed to score higher in Q once and higher in V the other time, so that may have counted somehow, as well.

However, all of them had meaningful experiences, and more importantly, where able to convey them greatly in their essays. Even when years of experience do not count directly, the "depth" of experiences does count. Outstanding individuals may achieve great experiences in a short period of time (and that's the young 'uns getting accepted). Yet, most of us (the "just great" bunch) will need to build those experiences over a longer period.

My suggestion, get someone to look into your profile and assess your chances. You may wish to wait an extra year not only to improve your chances but also to make the most of your education. Or if you have decent chances maybe move your GMAT a little bit upwards?

Hope it helps and for the record what I wrote are biased opinions based on other people's experiences and nothing more.

Cheers. L.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you only took the real GMAT once and scored a 680, I think that is good enough for the top 10 elite schools. Be sure to put down your 3 years post bachelors work experience and undergraduate experience and internship in your application.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]