GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 06:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua(no int), Darden(no int), McCombs , Kenan-Flagler, McDonough, Smith(w/$$)
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2010, 09:10
Kilian wrote:
First of all - thanks to those responsible for putting together all of the great information on this site. I've only just begun to delve into the site and am extremely grateful to have found it before getting too far into the process of studying.

I just received my MGMAT books, including the Fundamentals of GMAT Math book, and OG12 yesterday, so I decided to take my first practice test with GMATPrep tonight after work. I took it cold - no review prior, just downloaded the software and started. Here's how it went:

Quant: 35 (39%)
Verbal: 41 (92%)
Overall score: 640

Clearly my quant needs more work than my verbal, but I plan on bumping up the verbal too. My questions for the experts around here (BB and anyone else) are how accurate is the GMATPrep practice test as an indicator of future scores and is it feasible to increase my quant score enough to get me to a 700+ score in the next 2ish months? I haven't scheduled my test yet, but will need to take it in the next few months. Probably by the end of Oct.

I work full time, but am able to study ~2 hours a night and will probably study (realistically) 8-10 hours total a weekend. What do you think?

Well, just got out of the actual GMAT and it seems my studying has paid off, at least on the Quant side.

Quant: 44 (68%)
Verbal: 41 (92%)
Score: 700 (90%)

So I got where I wanted to be, despite some hold ups at work and in life. Thanks for the help!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Darden '17 (M)
WE: Business Development (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2010, 18:09
Question,

Has anyone started studying without taking a practice test first? I have completely forgotten math, and I'm quite sure if I take one I would bomb the quant section (which happened when I took a practice test in college a few years ago.) Does it make sense to brush up on math first and then take a practice test?

"Popular opinion is the greatest lie in the world"-Thomas Carlyle

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2010, 12:21
Bigred2008 wrote:
Question,

Has anyone started studying without taking a practice test first? I have completely forgotten math, and I'm quite sure if I take one I would bomb the quant section (which happened when I took a practice test in college a few years ago.) Does it make sense to brush up on math first and then take a practice test?

I am wondering this same question.

Further, would it be logically to take some of the Prep Courses (ie: Veritas, Kaplan, etc) to supplement for this deficiency?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2010, 13:54
I'm finally beginning my study process for the GMATs.. and now I'm wishing I started in August like I originally intended. Oops.. heh.

What order do you recommend studying the Math topics in? I've bought 2 of the Manhattan series plus the Kaplan premiere book + OG (along with Verbal Manhattan books).

Is it recommended that I start with the first Math chapter in Kaplan, follow through with Kaplan, and after finishing a section there, move over to its respective area in the Manhattan series? I have Manhattan Number Properties and Word Translations.

I'm not sure how to go about building a detailed study plan.. I want to make sure I don't waste my resources by looking at practice questions before I'm fully equipped to answer them.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2010, 03:01
Is the MGMAT(quant) books just for in-depth explanations of how to solve the types of problem you will face? Cause I was just going to get those(5 quant) book along with the OG review 12 edition. As of right now I don't plan on study as hardcore for the verbal as I will for the quant section but I still want a decent book verbal study book, so what book could I get if for verbal? keep in mind my first language is English. I want well in-depth books, no shortcut books or improve best possible guest stuff.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2010, 13:22
NEURON wrote:
Is the MGMAT(quant) books just for in-depth explanations of how to solve the types of problem you will face? Cause I was just going to get those(5 quant) book along with the OG review 12 edition. As of right now I don't plan on study as hardcore for the verbal as I will for the quant section but I still want a decent book verbal study book, so what book could I get if for verbal? keep in mind my first language is English. I want well in-depth books, no shortcut books or improve best possible guest stuff.

MGMAT is good for this as well. The books and scores are not correlated but more people have scored higher with MGMAT books than others (that may be just numbers of buyers) but it still is a fact.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2010, 22:47
@ BB

Hi! I am new to GMAT club. I seek advice regarding GMAT. If there is a word better than a novice, I am that as far as GMAT is concerned. I have given the exam once in Dec 2009 and all I got was a very dismal -below-par 370 :(. Well, I wrote just for the heck of it. W/o even knowing the format of the exam.

I intend to join a business School by 2012 and I ve registered for the GMAT in April 2011. Kindly guide me to get a 700 plus score. I am from India. I would like to know the study materials and the books to follow. I have a good 4 months in hand.

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2010, 18:18
I would think constant repetition would work with Math along with Verbal. At least that's how my planning is going to work.

I've recently just finished the MGMAT math series, but still feel I need a lot of work to reach my goals in terms of becoming more test savvy.

Thinking about getting PScore Critical Reasoning, but iffy on it since I have MGMAT CR.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2010, 18:36
USCTrojan2006 wrote:
I would think constant repetition would work with Math along with Verbal.

It definitely does for some and there are patterns in questions, so gradually you pick them up, but many find it possible to get a good score without doing a lot of repetitive practice. Really depends on your learning style...

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
WE: Project Management (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 10:22
bb..i think am doomed..i have less than 4 months to my exam..according to your previous posts..700+ is impossible in this time frame??
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2010, 09:23
Nothing is impossible :)
It really depends on where you are with the score and how much time you have...

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2010, 03:51
Dear all,

I'm a new member, this is my second post after the introduction one. I was reading very carefuly all the advices that some members gave in the previous posts.
I'm planning to take the GMAT in the next 3 years (so yeah I have plenty of time to study for it), I aim for the Top 10 BS, so my goal score would be something above 700 (It's gonna be a bit hard!!). I read that there's no point to start the GMAT preparation if we don't have the sufficient level of language proficiency... and I was wondering what was the minimum level required in terms of english profciency to take the test? converted to TOEFL scores?

Thank you for your reply ;)

Mumusette
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2010, 04:04
Because gmat does not have a speaking section, it is not an apples to apples comparison but in general, you want to have a toefl of 110+ to be a serious contender on the gmat.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2010, 20:54
Hi new to the forum as well! Great webiste , bravo.

I want to follow your advice on the study plan. If you have answered this question feel free to redirect me, I know how annoying it is to ask the same questions, but the amount of info is overwhelming.
I have 4 months , the 8 mgmat books , the OG on the way and an iPhone.
I plan to spend a month and change going through the MGMAT quant books. First question, you advocate solving the practice exams from the beginning in the sample schedule. Since I havent yet gone through the materials in the books, wouldn't thT be a waste?
Alternately, the MGMAT books are quite long... Something like a 100 chapters, should I go throughout them first , solving only the practice questions at the end of the chapters,then start solving the OG questions?
Same goes for verbal.
My advantage is I have 2 hours of commute everyday in the metro. How would you suggest I make use of my time with the apps? From the beginning start solving the OG questions?
Thanks a lot guys!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2010, 05:32
Skip OG?!!
I though OG is the best practice you can get?

Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2010, 12:29
Thank you bb,

such informations are great for fresh starters.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2010, 14:00
Great plan gulatin2. I would factor a few weeks of tests in there if you haven't already.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2010, 23:49
Thanks a ton...
This seems a perfect plan...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2010, 02:22
hi!

I have been studying for the GMAT on and off the past months. When I have time, I get to study on a regular basis but then I stop (completely) when work or some other obligation pops up. When I was studying regularly I would score a 650 to 660 (700 equivalent in your score calculator). When I tried again after a "break" I got 610 (650 equivalent). I usually get 45 to 50 for quant and 30 to 34 for verbal.

I hope to take the text in 2 or 3 weeks and score above 700 (720 at least). I am currently in "break" mode but I hope to start studying again tomorrow.

Do you think 2/3 weeks of 100% focus is enough? What (study plan) would you suggest? I have only joined gmatclub recently and have not yet tried the resources mentioned here.

Any suggestions that you have will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Karen Ann
Intern
Intern
Schools: Indiana University (Kelley Direct) or Penn State (iMBA)

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2010, 09:17
Hi all!!! I too am a newbie here. Actually, this is my first post on this forum! First, I must say that I love this website and forum. There is SO much information here and it has been a GREAT help!

My question today is regarding the OG. Why do so many people on this forum keep saying to skip this book? It would seem to me that this book should be one of the primary resources for anyone studying for the GMAT. The book is after all provided by the GMAC, correct?

Anyway, I have just started studying and am targeting taking the GMAT in March or April. I have the OG (and supplements) and plan on buying the 8 MGMAT books. I was mainly just curious why I keep seeing so many posts on the forum telling people to skip the OG.

BTW, great study plan! I will definitely use the advice! Thanks!
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep &nbs [#permalink] 31 Dec 2010, 09:17

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  42    Next  [ 830 posts ] 

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap