It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28479 [0], given: 5106

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2010, 18:36
USCTrojan2006 wrote:
I would think constant repetition would work with Math along with Verbal.

It definitely does for some and there are patterns in questions, so gradually you pick them up, but many find it possible to get a good score without doing a lot of repetitive practice. Really depends on your learning style...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 01:17
I agree BB.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
WE: Project Management (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 10:22
bb..i think am doomed..i have less than 4 months to my exam..according to your previous posts..700+ is impossible in this time frame??

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2010, 09:23
Nothing is impossible :)
It really depends on where you are with the score and how much time you have...

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2010, 03:51
Dear all,

I'm a new member, this is my second post after the introduction one. I was reading very carefuly all the advices that some members gave in the previous posts.
I'm planning to take the GMAT in the next 3 years (so yeah I have plenty of time to study for it), I aim for the Top 10 BS, so my goal score would be something above 700 (It's gonna be a bit hard!!). I read that there's no point to start the GMAT preparation if we don't have the sufficient level of language proficiency... and I was wondering what was the minimum level required in terms of english profciency to take the test? converted to TOEFL scores?

Thank you for your reply ;)

Mumusette

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2010, 04:04
Because gmat does not have a speaking section, it is not an apples to apples comparison but in general, you want to have a toefl of 110+ to be a serious contender on the gmat.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2010, 20:54
Hi new to the forum as well! Great webiste , bravo.

I want to follow your advice on the study plan. If you have answered this question feel free to redirect me, I know how annoying it is to ask the same questions, but the amount of info is overwhelming.
I have 4 months , the 8 mgmat books , the OG on the way and an iPhone.
I plan to spend a month and change going through the MGMAT quant books. First question, you advocate solving the practice exams from the beginning in the sample schedule. Since I havent yet gone through the materials in the books, wouldn't thT be a waste?
Alternately, the MGMAT books are quite long... Something like a 100 chapters, should I go throughout them first , solving only the practice questions at the end of the chapters,then start solving the OG questions?
Same goes for verbal.
My advantage is I have 2 hours of commute everyday in the metro. How would you suggest I make use of my time with the apps? From the beginning start solving the OG questions?
Thanks a lot guys!

Current Student

Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
WE: Project Management (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2010, 21:59
Halawi wrote:
Hi new to the forum as well! Great webiste , bravo.

I want to follow your advice on the study plan. If you have answered this question feel free to redirect me, I know how annoying it is to ask the same questions, but the amount of info is overwhelming.
I have 4 months , the 8 mgmat books , the OG on the way and an iPhone.
I plan to spend a month and change going through the MGMAT quant books. First question, you advocate solving the practice exams from the beginning in the sample schedule. Since I havent yet gone through the materials in the books, wouldn't thT be a waste?
Alternately, the MGMAT books are quite long... Something like a 100 chapters, should I go throughout them first , solving only the practice questions at the end of the chapters,then start solving the OG questions?
Same goes for verbal.
My advantage is I have 2 hours of commute everyday in the metro. How would you suggest I make use of my time with the apps? From the beginning start solving the OG questions?
Thanks a lot guys!

one imp advice - SKIP og

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2010, 05:32
Skip OG?!!
I though OG is the best practice you can get?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Schools: INSEAD

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2010, 12:29
Thank you bb,

such informations are great for fresh starters.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2010, 14:00
Great plan gulatin2. I would factor a few weeks of tests in there if you haven't already.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2010, 23:49
Thanks a ton...
This seems a perfect plan...

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 29

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2010, 02:22
hi!

I have been studying for the GMAT on and off the past months. When I have time, I get to study on a regular basis but then I stop (completely) when work or some other obligation pops up. When I was studying regularly I would score a 650 to 660 (700 equivalent in your score calculator). When I tried again after a "break" I got 610 (650 equivalent). I usually get 45 to 50 for quant and 30 to 34 for verbal.

I hope to take the text in 2 or 3 weeks and score above 700 (720 at least). I am currently in "break" mode but I hope to start studying again tomorrow.

Do you think 2/3 weeks of 100% focus is enough? What (study plan) would you suggest? I have only joined gmatclub recently and have not yet tried the resources mentioned here.

Any suggestions that you have will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Karen Ann

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2010, 02:58
karenhipol wrote:
hi!

I have been studying for the GMAT on and off the past months. When I have time, I get to study on a regular basis but then I stop (completely) when work or some other obligation pops up. When I was studying regularly I would score a 650 to 660 (700 equivalent in your score calculator). When I tried again after a "break" I got 610 (650 equivalent). I usually get 45 to 50 for quant and 30 to 34 for verbal.

I hope to take the text in 2 or 3 weeks and score above 700 (720 at least). I am currently in "break" mode but I hope to start studying again tomorrow.

Do you think 2/3 weeks of 100% focus is enough? What (study plan) would you suggest? I have only joined gmatclub recently and have not yet tried the resources mentioned here.

Any suggestions that you have will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Karen Ann

[wrapimg=][/wrapimg]

Intern
Intern

Schools: Indiana University (Kelley Direct) or Penn State (iMBA)

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2010, 09:17
Hi all!!! I too am a newbie here. Actually, this is my first post on this forum! First, I must say that I love this website and forum. There is SO much information here and it has been a GREAT help!

My question today is regarding the OG. Why do so many people on this forum keep saying to skip this book? It would seem to me that this book should be one of the primary resources for anyone studying for the GMAT. The book is after all provided by the GMAC, correct?

Anyway, I have just started studying and am targeting taking the GMAT in March or April. I have the OG (and supplements) and plan on buying the 8 MGMAT books. I was mainly just curious why I keep seeing so many posts on the forum telling people to skip the OG.

BTW, great study plan! I will definitely use the advice! Thanks!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2010, 14:50
barrykw68 wrote:
Hi all!!! I too am a newbie here. Actually, this is my first post on this forum! First, I must say that I love this website and forum. There is SO much information here and it has been a GREAT help!

My question today is regarding the OG. Why do so many people on this forum keep saying to skip this book? It would seem to me that this book should be one of the primary resources for anyone studying for the GMAT. The book is after all provided by the GMAC, correct?

Anyway, I have just started studying and am targeting taking the GMAT in March or April. I have the OG (and supplements) and plan on buying the 8 MGMAT books. I was mainly just curious why I keep seeing so many posts on the forum telling people to skip the OG.

The MGMAT Guides rely on the OG's so you will not be skipping them. Don't worry about it - the key is to master the basics. What people refer to is that you should not be just solving questions after questions thinking that the practice will help you. The effect is minimal compared to the uplift you get from going through the fundamentals.

Good luck with your prep!

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Schools: Indiana University (Kelley Direct) or Penn State (iMBA)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 08:25
bb wrote:
barrykw68 wrote:

The MGMAT Guides rely on the OG's so you will not be skipping them. Don't worry about it - the key is to master the basics. What people refer to is that you should not be just solving questions after questions thinking that the practice will help you. The effect is minimal compared to the uplift you get from going through the fundamentals.

Good luck with your prep!

Thanks for the information. That makes sense now that you put it that way. To be honest, I'm actually quite nervous about this whole process. It has been over 18 years since I was in school and I feel pretty rusty, especially when it comes to all of these algebraic equations and rules. :shock: Nevertheless, I'm determined to go back to school for my MBA so I'm just going to buckle down, put together a good study plan, and hopefully I'll be enrolled in grad school and taking classes this coming fall.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. I look forward to spending lots of time here on the forum!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 17:30
barrykw68 wrote:
Thanks for the information. That makes sense now that you put it that way. To be honest, I'm actually quite nervous about this whole process. It has been over 18 years since I was in school and I feel pretty rusty, especially when it comes to all of these algebraic equations and rules. :shock: Nevertheless, I'm determined to go back to school for my MBA so I'm just going to buckle down, put together a good study plan, and hopefully I'll be enrolled in grad school and taking classes this coming fall.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. I look forward to spending lots of time here on the forum!

wow, you will have a bit of a challenge with all the math rules and tricks. Even CFA (or especially CFA) folks have quite a bit of challenges with GMAT math (which is really college/high school math) but the mind forgets. The best approach is to systematically cover everything - then when you see a problem you have never seen in your life, you know that it is not something you did not study but rather the wording is unusual and the solution is not hiding behind some crazy formula but rather behind logic or simplification.

Good Luck and happy 2011!

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 19:37
BB, thanks again for your guide for newbies.

I had a question on the strategy books.

I'm planning on purchasing Kaplan 2011 premium, the MGMAT set, and the OG guides.

You mentioned to start with math in Month 1. Should I go through the Kaplan and the OG overview book before starting the math in Month 1? Or is the strategy for after I've gone through all the material basics?

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 19:59
tuaj24 wrote:
BB, thanks again for your guide for newbies.

I had a question on the strategy books.

I'm planning on purchasing Kaplan 2011 premium, the MGMAT set, and the OG guides.

You mentioned to start with math in Month 1. Should I go through the Kaplan and the OG overview book before starting the math in Month 1? Or is the strategy for after I've gone through all the material basics?

You can start with Math or verbal - it is up to you. I started with math to gain some confidence. If you don't know a whole lot about the GMAT, you can start with the Kaplan Premier. If you do, you can dive right into the MGMAT Guides.

Founder of GMAT Club

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2011, 19:59

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  43    Next  [ 848 posts ] 

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap