GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Feb 2019, 10:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
272829303112
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272812
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     February 20, 2019

     February 20, 2019

     08:00 PM EST

     09:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. Wednesday, February 20th at 8 PM EST
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

     February 21, 2019

     February 21, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.

GMAT Test Advice

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Sep 2018
Posts: 9
Location: Canada
Schools: DeGroote'21
GMAT Test Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 12:05
Hello everyone,

I really need some advice, I've been feeling kind of down regarding my GMAT.
So I have written my GMAT twice now. The first time I wrote it, I studied for two weeks and got a 470 (I don't really count that one because I just tried my luck with it before my school's application deadline back in June for the 2018 enrolment). However, I recently wrote it again on January 26th and only got a 510 ( 27 quant and 34 verbal), after studying for about 1.5 months. I was super disappointed with my results as you can imagine and it has kind of put me down.

However, I have decided to push through and re-write my exam again. The materials I used before were the OG GMAT2017 books and kaplan 800. My quant skills are not too good and I've been having difficulty with it and I am not sure what my new approach should be. I am hoping to write my exam again in a month and I was looking for some suggestions as to what steps to take in order to improve my score in a month, specifically in quant. I need my quant score to be around 36.

Any help and guidance would be realllllyyyy appreciated, thank you guys in advance! :cry:
Official GMAC Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 04 Jun 2012
Posts: 396
Re: GMAT Test Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 12:51
1
Hi zwander,

Please visit mba.com/exam-prep for more information on the most up-to-date GMAT prep materials. You can sort by Quantitative/Math to preview the materials that pertain to that section of the exam. In addition, you can visit this page on study timing and pacing, which also has a link to our 8-week Study Plan that may help you map out a plan for success. Good luck!
_________________

Leah
Customer Care Coordinator
Graduate Management Admission Council® (GMAC®)
gmac.com | mba.com

SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 2088
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: GMAT Test Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 20:32
1
zwander wrote:
Hello everyone,

I really need some advice, I've been feeling kind of down regarding my GMAT.
So I have written my GMAT twice now. The first time I wrote it, I studied for two weeks and got a 470 (I don't really count that one because I just tried my luck with it before my school's application deadline back in June for the 2018 enrolment). However, I recently wrote it again on January 26th and only got a 510 ( 27 quant and 34 verbal), after studying for about 1.5 months. I was super disappointed with my results as you can imagine and it has kind of put me down.

However, I have decided to push through and re-write my exam again. The materials I used before were the OG GMAT2017 books and kaplan 800. My quant skills are not too good and I've been having difficulty with it and I am not sure what my new approach should be. I am hoping to write my exam again in a month and I was looking for some suggestions as to what steps to take in order to improve my score in a month, specifically in quant. I need my quant score to be around 36.

Any help and guidance would be realllllyyyy appreciated, thank you guys in advance! :cry:
Your verbal score (71%) is good, and although I'm sure that you can improve it, it's your quant that needs work. Start by taking a look at this post to get an idea about the other options open to you. You're targeting a 29% in quant (Q36), so don't spend too much time thinking about this (focus on actually working on the basics). In fact, you could have easily used non-GMAT material as well if you had more time.

Also, Q36 (and V34) will get you a score slightly less than 600. Check whether that is the total that you are aiming for.
_________________

Ascore Prep | Live Online

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 13562
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMAT Test Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 20:53
Hi zwander,

Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you'll likely end up needing to invest in some new, non-book resources for this next phase of your studies. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your first GMAT (the 470)?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score? Why do you think you need a Q36?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 6967
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: GMAT Test Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 00:04
1
Hi, zwander

I’m sorry to hear that you are frustrated with your score. Don’t be demotivated. Improving your quant score up to 36 in a month is achievable, supposing that you spend at least 2-3 hours intensively in studying quant. Firstly, Q27 shows that you need solid establishment of basic concepts. Then, you should start to solve following questions. Self studying by only using books is one way to hit the target score, but when you are faced with problems, such as not fully understanding, lack of time, it is really difficult to solve, since you have to analyze and find out the causes by yourself, which is really time-consuming. In this case, you’d better consider online courses or private tutoring. If you ‘must’ get the target score in a month, private tutoring would be much more efficient and effective. But considering that private tutoring is more expensive, I recommend you to take online courses if it is not that urgent. You’d better take Math Review course. This course is offered by most of the companies and you can learn the basics of each section. You can refer to this : https://gmatclub.com/reviews/highest-ra ... or-quant-4

Once you solidified your quant basics, then question solving skills are really important to get a good score. Quant solving skills that are offered by the companies are all different, and it is important to find the skills that fit you. Just following conventional ways to solve the quant questions could not be that efficient, because it is really time-consuming. You can refer to this and find out unique and innovative way to solve them : https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/vs

Please let us know if you have further questions.
You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach,
Good luck!
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $149 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Sep 2018
Posts: 9
Location: Canada
Schools: DeGroote'21
Re: GMAT Test Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 18:17
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi zwander,

Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you'll likely end up needing to invest in some new, non-book resources for this next phase of your studies. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your first GMAT (the 470)?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score? Why do you think you need a Q36?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



Hello! thank you for your reply.

Okay so to answer your questions:
1. For Quant I scored 25 and verbal I had scored 29
2. I only did the two free practice exams that are given on the official MBA website and I scored 560 (39 quant and 28 verbal) and 580 (42 quant 28 verbal). However, a lot of the quant questions in practice exam 2 I felt were very similar to the first one so thats why i feel like I was able to score a 42.

3. Ideally I would like to score in the mid 600s if I could, but if not I know that a 36 in quant is okay for my school according to one of the recruiters I had emailed. I would want to like to achieve something higher to make myself more competitive though if it's possible.
4. I am hoping to apply by April (my school's deadline is at the end of May, however, enrolment is on a first come first serve basis, so the sooner I do it the better chances I have of getting in)
5. Finally, I am only applying to Degroote's school of business for their Coop MBA here in Canada. The reason being because I did my undergrad in science and they have an interesting coop program where I can specialize in health service management.

Based on this information, from your experience, what would you recommend for me? :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Sep 2018
Posts: 9
Location: Canada
Schools: DeGroote'21
Re: GMAT Test Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 18:23
AjiteshArun wrote:
zwander wrote:
Hello everyone,

I really need some advice, I've been feeling kind of down regarding my GMAT.
So I have written my GMAT twice now. The first time I wrote it, I studied for two weeks and got a 470 (I don't really count that one because I just tried my luck with it before my school's application deadline back in June for the 2018 enrolment). However, I recently wrote it again on January 26th and only got a 510 ( 27 quant and 34 verbal), after studying for about 1.5 months. I was super disappointed with my results as you can imagine and it has kind of put me down.

However, I have decided to push through and re-write my exam again. The materials I used before were the OG GMAT2017 books and kaplan 800. My quant skills are not too good and I've been having difficulty with it and I am not sure what my new approach should be. I am hoping to write my exam again in a month and I was looking for some suggestions as to what steps to take in order to improve my score in a month, specifically in quant. I need my quant score to be around 36.

Any help and guidance would be realllllyyyy appreciated, thank you guys in advance! :cry:
Your verbal score (71%) is good, and although I'm sure that you can improve it, it's your quant that needs work. Start by taking a look at this post to get an idea about the other options open to you. You're targeting a 29% in quant (Q36), so don't spend too much time thinking about this (focus on actually working on the basics). In fact, you could have easily used non-GMAT material as well if you had more time.

Also, Q36 (and V34) will get you a score slightly less than 600. Check whether that is the total that you are aiming for.


Hello!

thanks for the advice! What kind of non gmat material are you referring to/recommend? I guess what I need to is find some resources that go over the basic concepts as well as provide some practice questions as I learn each topic. Do you have anything in mind?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 13562
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMAT Test Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2019, 13:39
Hi zwander,

Raising a 510 to the point that you could consistently score 650+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. However, with a Test Date in April, you only have about 2 months of potential study time. While you could potentially improve a great deal in that time, you would have to be really efficient with your studies - with a specific Study Plan and a focus on learning all of the Tactics, patterns and little 'secrets' to the Exam.

1) What is the minimum GMAT Score that you would apply with?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Sep 2018
Posts: 9
Location: Canada
Schools: DeGroote'21
GMAT Test Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2019, 15:07
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi zwander,

Raising a 510 to the point that you could consistently score 650+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. However, with a Test Date in April, you only have about 2 months of potential study time. While you could potentially improve a great deal in that time, you would have to be really efficient with your studies - with a specific Study Plan and a focus on learning all of the Tactics, patterns and little 'secrets' to the Exam.

1) What is the minimum GMAT Score that you would apply with?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Hello Rich,

I believe the minimum GMAT score I could apply with is 600 (sometimes they may make exceptions for 580+ but I'd rather play it safe). Also, starting next week I would be able to put 35-40 hours of studying since I would be able to study full time for two weeks, and then about 25-30 hours for the weeks remaining until I decide to write it in April hopefully. Do you think that is a good amount of time? If I am putting in that many hours. Also, what resources should I use to improve myself and for studying?
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
P
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 4938
Location: United States (CA)
Re: GMAT Test Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 07:12
Hi zwander,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. First off, you must understand that 1.5 months is not a ton of study time. You really need to make sure that you give yourself the time you need to improve your quant skills. Since your quant score is at a 27, it’s clear that you lack the GMAT quant fundamentals you need for your goal score, so you may need to adjust your study routine so that you follow a more structured and linear plan. Ideally, you want a study plan that allows you to individually learn each GMAT quant topic, starting with the foundations before moving to more advanced concepts.

Let’s say you are learning about Number Properties. First, you should develop as much conceptual knowledge about Number Properties as possible. In other words, your goal will be to completely understand properties of factorials, perfect squares, quadratic patterns, LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, and remainders, to name a few concepts. After carefully reviewing the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions, practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant courses. You also may find it helpful to read this article about how to increase your GMAT quant score.

If you have any questions, feel to reach back out.

Good luck
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 13562
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMAT Test Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 11:06
Hi zwander,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes/suggestions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Test Advice   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2019, 11:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Test Advice

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.