Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GRE 1: Q155 V151
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1922 [0]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: GMAT test Anxiety wins again from 690 to 530 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Akshay.

From what you described, it sounds as if you are becoming anxious about being anxious, and letting things snowball on you.

A great way to address that issue is to learn to focus on the question in front of you and on answering it correctly. If you focus on the job at hand rather than on your anxiety, your anxiety will fade.

Meanwhile, being too strict with your timing is not going to work out. You have to sometimes invest extra time in a question and sometimes answer a question in less than the average amount of time allotted per question. Being a little behind the clock is no big deal. You may run into a couple questions that you can answer quickly and catch up. Ideally you would manage your time well, but the truth is that, even if you are pressed for time at the end of a section and have to guess on a couple of questions, you will probably be better off than you would be in rushing through an entire section to be sure to finish on time.

Finally, while the average score on your the two GMAT Prep practice tests you took is 700, given the information on your ESR and your performance in general, I get the sense that you still have some weak areas that could be significantly stronger. If you spend the next few weeks strengthening weaker areas, you will be that much more confident and prepared next time you take the test. Taking more practice tests could help too. So, rather than relax, keep developing your skills. Work on the types of questions you don't want to see and master answering them. You'll answer questions more quickly and more confidently, and, in so doing, address some of the issues that you have been experiencing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GRE 1: Q155 V151
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Thanks Hovkial , DisciplinedPrep , MartyTargetTestPrep thanks guys for taking the time to go through the ESR and analyzing the same. I have already scheduled my exam on 26th August. I will continue with prep.

MartyTargetTestPrep please check message.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64932 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
Akshay. wrote:
Dear All,

I have been studying for GMAT for more than 2 years now. I have attempted and failed almost 4 times. From the last 3 attempts test anxiety has taken a toll on me.
Yesterday, I gave GMAT. During the exam, I was worried whether i was performing well, I was subconciously checking the difficulty level of question, I was not able to focus on 2 of the RCs. Because of all of this my ability to critically analyse the arguments was thrown out of window. I could feel my cortisol level rising(stress level(learned from a GMAT RC :p)) question by question.
Also, I was following a strict timing strategy(attached), which i have been using for quite some time now. If I missed any cross any of the timining milestones my heart began to pound and stress level went through the roof. This happened with me in both Verbal and Quant. I rushed everything in the initial part of test. I guess i screwed most of the high level difficulty questions, resulting in a lower score. At the end of Verbal i was left with 10min and at the end of quant i was left with 15minutes.

I was so much hoping to get a 700.

Tests i have taken
GMAT Prep 1 : 710 Q49 V38
GMAT Prep 2 : 690 Q48 V37 (Missed 2 questions because of Bad Internet connection taken 1week back)

Veritas Cat 1 680 50 33
Veritas Cat 2 610 48 26
Veritas Cat 3 630 47 30
Veritas Cat 4 670 47 35
Veritas Cat 5 670 47 35
Veritas Cat 6 630 47 30

Also, Refer to my earlier post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/dissapointed-283278.html

I have already scheduled my exam on 26th August. Somebody gave me advice that i shouldn't study much for this attempt and just relax. I would love to hear experts advice.

VeritasKarishma bb GMATNinja ScottTargetTestPrep

Sorry to hear about your test day troubles!

I would have thought that now that you can cancel your score and no one will be the wiser, test day anxiety would be minimum for test takers. Worst case, you cancel your score and try again - why worry, eh?!
Your practice test scores are certainly far more promising.

As for your timing strategy, I am not a fan of that. For some questions, you will need only 30 secs, for others, 3 mins. Review your timing situation after 4-5 questions are to ensure that you don't lose the plot but you don't have to be under pressure every moment. Besides, practice in short spurts of say 5 questions - 10 mins to train your mind to know what 2 mins feels like.

And yes, it helps to calm your nerves for a few days before the test. Just review and practice.
GMAT Club Bot