GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 16:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT TEST DAY WENT BAD

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jan 2014
Posts: 15
GMAT TEST DAY WENT BAD  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 07:02
Just came from testing center with 450 (q35, v18, ir5)

I studied for one month and solved 800 questions from magoosh. Also watched all the videos.

I just need 550 to 600 for my program. However, I think I have a strong profile and almost 8 years of work experience.

Should I ask the school if it asses my profile as a whole or retake?

The business school I'm aiming for is not top 50. But its accredited. Memorial university of Newfoundland in Canada I don't know if it can accept my score.

Any help much appreciated.

Sent from my RNE-L21 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Magoosh Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Location: United States (MD)
GMAT 1: 480 Q29 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Science (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT TEST DAY WENT BAD [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 17:15
I'm in the same boat. I watched all of Magoosh's videos, went through all of Magoosh's questions, spent a total of 158 hours of studying over 1.5 months. I had been using the OG guide intermittently, which now I realize was a massive mistake. I originally tested at a 460 (Q26, V27, IR5 AWA5) without any study prep. Today after all of my work I tested at a 480 (Q29, V27, IR1) which I promptly canceled after seeing. Only a twenty point increase! I feel like Magoosh is a complete waste of money. In retrospect, I should have focused on more structured OG related material. I'll probably not be able to increase my score enough for the final round of applications for my school (May 1), but I'm hoping for rolling admissions. Don't be discouraged. Keep at it. You just need to take a step back and reevaluate your study materials and study structure. I kept feeling like Magoosh's material was to easy! I was 100% correct! It had me at testing in the mid-30's to low 40s on both verbal and math.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 07 Apr 2018
Posts: 16
Location: India
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT TEST DAY WENT BAD [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 21:39
Kamel wrote:
Just came from testing center with 450 (q35, v18, ir5)

I studied for one month and solved 800 questions from magoosh. Also watched all the videos.

I just need 550 to 600 for my program. However, I think I have a strong profile and almost 8 years of work experience.

Should I ask the school if it asses my profile as a whole or retake?

The business school I'm aiming for is not top 50. But its accredited. Memorial university of Newfoundland in Canada I don't know if it can accept my score.

Any help much appreciated.

Sent from my RNE-L21 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Hello Kamel,

I'm sorry to hear that your score was not up to your expectations. You mentioned that you solved Magoosh questions and watched their videos. Did you solve the OG as well?

-IB
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jan 2014
Posts: 15
Re: GMAT TEST DAY WENT BAD [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 23:13
Interrobong wrote:
Kamel wrote:
Just came from testing center with 450 (q35, v18, ir5)

I studied for one month and solved 800 questions from magoosh. Also watched all the videos.

I just need 550 to 600 for my program. However, I think I have a strong profile and almost 8 years of work experience.

Should I ask the school if it asses my profile as a whole or retake?

The business school I'm aiming for is not top 50. But its accredited. Memorial university of Newfoundland in Canada I don't know if it can accept my score.

Any help much appreciated.

Sent from my RNE-L21 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Hello Kamel,

I'm sorry to hear that your score was not up to your expectations. You mentioned that you solved Magoosh questions and watched their videos. Did you solve the OG as well?

-IB


No, I didn't have time to go through official questions. I think that was a major mistake


Sent from my RNE-L21 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 07 Apr 2018
Posts: 16
Location: India
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT TEST DAY WENT BAD [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 06:33
Kamel wrote:
Interrobong wrote:
Kamel wrote:
Just came from testing center with 450 (q35, v18, ir5)

I studied for one month and solved 800 questions from magoosh. Also watched all the videos.

I just need 550 to 600 for my program. However, I think I have a strong profile and almost 8 years of work experience.

Should I ask the school if it asses my profile as a whole or retake?

The business school I'm aiming for is not top 50. But its accredited. Memorial university of Newfoundland in Canada I don't know if it can accept my score.

Any help much appreciated.

Sent from my RNE-L21 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Hello Kamel,

I'm sorry to hear that your score was not up to your expectations. You mentioned that you solved Magoosh questions and watched their videos. Did you solve the OG as well?

-IB


No, I didn't have time to go through official questions. I think that was a major mistake


Sent from my RNE-L21 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Solving the OG is the bare minimum of preparation required for the GMAT. Anything else (books, courses, et cetera) are supposed to supplement the OG. Since you did not do that, it can be safely assumed you are capable of a much better score.

If it is possible, I'd suggest you retake the test after a few months. Take a couple of days off all this, and begin with a GMAT prep mock. The score would not be very different from what you received on the actual test, but it will help you better identify your strengths and weaknesses. You can, thereafter, chalk out a study plan that suits you.

Please note that I am not an expert, and I'm merely presenting you with what I have learned from browsing through GMAT Club. This website is a goldmine of information and I suggest that you spend some time sifting through it. By this time next week, you'll be armed and ready to go on the quest afresh.

Above all, don't lose heart. Good luck!

-IB
Re: GMAT TEST DAY WENT BAD   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2018, 06:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT TEST DAY WENT BAD

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR JULY
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.