It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 10:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Verbs: The Perfect Tense

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 241

Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT Verbs: The Perfect Tense [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 09:25
mikemcgarry
GMATNinja

Are the following two sentences correct?

(1) By the end of the movie, Jeremy had tears in his eyes.
(2) By the end of the movie, Jeremy had cried twice.

I am a little confused in the usage of 'had' with phrases such as 'by the end....'.
' Had' is a helping verb and must be used as simple past.

But 'had' + Past participle should be used as past perfect tense.

Please guide.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 241

Expert Post
Top Contributor
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 1141 [0], given: 344

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: GMAT Verbs: The Perfect Tense [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 13:54
Expert's post
Top Contributor
You're in the land of arcane exceptions now, Shiv2016! :)

Technically speaking, past perfect tense doesn't actually need to be used alongside another action in simple past tense -- you just need some sort of clear "reference time" that also happens in the past. So yes, your examples are technically correct: "the end of the movie" works as your reference time in the past, even though there's no simple past tense verb here.

Here's the thing, though: I'm not really sure that it's a big deal on the GMAT. Yes, you see past perfect all the time, but the "reference time" is almost always another verb in simple past tense. I can only think of one exception to this: somewhere in the GMATPrep exams, there's a question that uses past perfect in the correct answer, but without a simple past tense verb -- very much like your examples. Unfortunately, I can't find the question, but I'm certain that it's out there -- maybe in Exam Pack 1? If that rings a bell, please let me know.

But again: 95% of the time, you're fine with the simplified version of the rule on the GMAT: past perfect tense usually needs to accompanied by another (later) action in simple past tense.

www.gmatninja.com + GMAT blog + food blog + I'm really bad at PMs

Want expert SC and CR explanations? Check out our verbal Question of the Day! All of them are available here.

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and then please be specific about your question for us. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Verbal Experts' Topics of the Week:
All Topics of the Week | Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners | Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners | Ultimate SC Guide for Beginners | 7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order | How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

YouTube verbal webinars: "Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7296 [1] , given: 350

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 23:22
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
GMAT Ninja

If this is what you are looking for, pl take it and the OA is A

Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, their descendants, popularly known as killer bees had migrated as far north as Southern Texas.

A. Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
B. In less than 35 years since releasing African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
C. In less than the 35 years since African honeybees had been released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
D. It took less than 35 years from the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, when
E. It took less than 35 years after the time that African honeybees were released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, and then
if this is what you are looking for, pl take it and the OA is A

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7296 [1] , given: 350

Expert Post
Top Contributor
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 06:59
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Not the one I was thinking of! But yes, this one works, too.

So now there are at least two official examples of the exception! I'll find the other one -- it'll hit me at, like, 3:00 in the morning in August. :)

www.gmatninja.com + GMAT blog + food blog + I'm really bad at PMs

Want expert SC and CR explanations? Check out our verbal Question of the Day! All of them are available here.

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and then please be specific about your question for us. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Verbal Experts' Topics of the Week:
All Topics of the Week | Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners | Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners | Ultimate SC Guide for Beginners | 7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order | How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

YouTube verbal webinars: "Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 05:33
Hi Shiv, this is actually quite a common pattern for past perfect. Daagh Sir has already given an example. Couple of other official examples that come to my mind:

In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week.

The first detailed study of magpie attacks in Australia indicates that by the time they reached adulthood, 98 percent of men and 75 percent of the women born in the country had been attacked by the birds.

In fact, considering GMAT's fondness for this kind of pattern (and it's divergence from what many people perceive as a more classical pattern for past perfect tenses), our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this example, in detail. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference (specifically refer to the example In 2007, a typical web user spent less than 4 hours a month on Facebook in the attachment).
Attachments

Perfect.pdf [18.82 KiB]
Downloaded 19 times

To download please login or register as a user

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 07:50
Hi .. can somebody please tell me regarding the past perfect continous, present perfect continous comparisons with past perfect and present perfect respectively??\

Thanks in Advance

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

Re: GMAT Verbs: The Perfect Tense   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2017, 07:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ]