Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:33 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT Vs GRE [#permalink]
Anwesha_03 wrote:
apurvag95 wrote:
Hi All,

I have a bad experience with GMAT previously(https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-online- ... l#p3326559), I'm planning to retake the GMAT FE or go for GRE, I am Indian Female, Non-Engineer and I do have an investment banking brand on my resume. I wish to apply to top Bschools, can you please help me with the decision. ­
My current diagnostic mock stores are GRE 316 (V152 Q164) and GMAT FE 625 (Q76 V89 DI73)

GMAT vs GRE for Top US Bschools:

Both GMAT and GRE are widely accepted for MBA applications by top US business schools. The choice between the two often depends on your academic background, strengths, and weaknesses.

Factors to Consider:

• Your background: As a non-engineer with investment banking experience, both GMAT and GRE could be relevant. However, if your investment banking experience involved a lot of quantitative analysis, the GMAT's quant section might be a better fit.
  • Your strengths and weaknesses: Your diagnostic mock scores (GRE 316 (V152 Q164) and GMAT FE 625 (Q76 V89 DI73)) suggest a strength in verbal reasoning and a weakness in quantitative reasoning on the GMAT. If this aligns with your overall strengths and weaknesses, the GRE might be a better option for you.
Here's a more detailed comparison of GMAT and GRE:

FactorGMATGREFocusBusiness school admissionsGraduate school admissions (business, arts, sciences)Quantitative sectionMore emphasis on business-related mathMore general quantitative reasoningVerbal sectionReading comprehension, critical reasoningReading comprehension, verbal reasoning, analytical writingAnalytical writingIntegrated reasoning section (analysis of data presented in multiple formats)Separate analytical writing sectionAdditional Tips:

• School-specific requirements: Check the websites of your target schools to see if they have any specific test score requirements or preferences for GMAT or GRE.
  • Official score reports: Consider taking official GMAT or GRE exams to get a more accurate assessment of your abilities.
  • Business school admissions consultant: Consulting with a professional admissions consultant can help you develop a strong application strategy, including choosing the right test.
Ultimately, the best test for you depends on your individual profile and goals. Consider the factors mentioned above and do your research to make an informed decision.

­

­I do consider quant as my stronger area as compared to verbal, will need more practice ofcourse but I think my quant is stronger. I am not very sure about Vocabulary part of GRE. 
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado wrote:
apurvag95:

We are sorry you have gone through this saga.

Looking ahead, the first step is retake the exam(s). It will be a lot easier to assess school options once you get the results back. You can certainly form a preliminary list, but it is subject to change based on that score.

I assume you are applying for 2025 matriculation? If so, you have time.

Admissionado

­I would also like to know if schools prefer any particular exam score.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply

apurvag95 wrote:
Admissionado wrote:
apurvag95:

We are sorry you have gone through this saga.

Looking ahead, the first step is retake the exam(s). It will be a lot easier to assess school options once you get the results back. You can certainly form a preliminary list, but it is subject to change based on that score.

I assume you are applying for 2025 matriculation? If so, you have time.

Admissionado

­I would also like to know if schools prefer any particular exam score.

Hey, apurvag95

Thank you for your post!

Considering your uncertainty about the GRE vocabulary section and your quantitative strength, the choice between retaking the GMAT or taking the GRE depends on a few factors. While your strong quant scores are an asset, improving your verbal scores is crucial for a balanced profile.
Given your quant strength and concern over GRE vocabulary, focusing on the GMAT might be more beneficial. The GMAT's verbal section, while challenging, does not rely as heavily on vocabulary as the GRE's. Improving your verbal score on the GMAT through targeted practice or a structured prep course can significantly improve your overall score.

In the realm of MBA programs, the average GMAT scores for top-ranked schools display a broad spectrum but highlight the competitive nature of admissions. For instance, Kellogg stands out with an average GMAT score of 731, closely followed by institutions such as MIT Sloan and Tuck School of Business, with scores of 730 and 726, respectively. Schools like IESE present a unique range for the GMAT scores of admitted students, spanning from 580 to 750, which suggests wider acceptance criteria that might take into account diverse aspects of an applicant's profile beyond standardized test scores. Schools like the Frankfurt School of Finance & Management and the Technical University of Munich – TUM School of Management exhibit relatively lower average GMAT scores of 610 and 600, indicating a potentially broader admissions policy or a focus on criteria other than the GMAT. To learn more about the GMAT Average for top Business schools, you can take reference from the blog.

Additionally, your investment banking background is a strong professional credential. Emphasizing your achievements in this role, alongside a solid GMAT score improvement, will strengthen your application. To further enhance your profile, consider leadership roles in extracurricular activities or volunteer work, especially those that demonstrate impact, leadership, and teamwork.

Sorry for the long answer; I hope this helps! :)

Cheers!

Abhyank
Founder & CEO 
BOOK A FREE CALL
MBA and Masters Admissions Consulting

Customer Reviews|Profile Evaluation|School Explorer
Contact us: +91-8448224865  ­
GMAT Club Bot