GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 May 2020, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the given figure, if AS = 10 cm, SN = 5 cm and TN = 8 cm, which of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
In the given figure, if AS = 10 cm, SN = 5 cm and TN = 8 cm, which of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2018, 09:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:48) correct 67% (02:57) wrong based on 43 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

GMATbuster's Weekly Quant Quiz#12 Ques #7

For Questions from earlier quizzes: Click Here

In the given figure, if AS = 10 cm, SN = 5 cm and TN = 8 cm, which of the following could be the positive difference between the maximum and minimum value of AT, if all the sides shown in the figure are positive integers?

A) 16
B) 18
C) 20
D) 21
E) 23

Attachment:
Ques fig.jpg
Ques fig.jpg [ 8.3 KiB | Viewed 1325 times ]

V
WE: General Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In the given figure, if AS = 10 cm, SN = 5 cm and TN = 8 cm, which of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 06:40

Official Solution:

Given:

AS = 10 cm
SN = 5 cm
TN = 8 cm
Find:

What could be the value of AT?

Since we have been given the lengths of the triangle and we do not have any information on the angles of the triangles, we will have to use the side property of the triangle to solve this question.

In triangle ASN –AS = 10 cm, SN = 5 cm
We know that sum of two sides > third side and we also know that difference of two sides < third side, thus, we can write –
10-5 < AN < 10+5
5 < AN < 15
Thus the value of AN can be {6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14}

Find the maximum value of AT. In triangle ATN, we can write –
AT < AN + TN
AT < 14 + 8
AT < 22
Thus, we can say that the maximum value of AT is 21 units.

Now, let us find the minimum value of AT
In triangle ATN, we can write –
TN ~ AN < AT
From the possible value of AN - {6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14}, if we take AN = 8, we will get AT > 8 – 8
AT > 0
Thus, the minimum value of AT will be 1 unit.

Therefore, the positive difference between the maximum and minimum value of AT could be = ( 21 – 1) = 20 units
The correct answer is Option C.
B
Re: In the given figure, if AS = 10 cm, SN = 5 cm and TN = 8 cm, which of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2018, 10:20
No figure appears.
Now figure has finally appeared!
The rule is that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle is greater the length of the third. Thus considering triangle ANS first, we have:
5 + AN > 10 => AN > 5. Also AN < 15, hence 5 < AN < 15. Since only integral values are allowed, AN = {6, 7, 8,...,14}.
Using only the extremal values of AN in triangle ATN, we get:
Use AN = 6 to get minimum value of AT: AT + 6 > 8 => AT > 2; therefore minimum value = 3.
Use AN = 14 to get maximum value of AT: AT < 22; therefore maximum value = 21.
Positive difference = 21-3 = 18.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2020, 09:14
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In the given figure, if AS = 10 cm, SN = 5 cm and TN = 8 cm, which of   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2020, 09:14

In the given figure, if AS = 10 cm, SN = 5 cm and TN = 8 cm, which of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics