It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 22:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmatclub Verbal Diagnostic test No 5, Question No 2 CR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7901 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)
Gmatclub Verbal Diagnostic test No 5, Question No 2 CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2014, 07:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

89% (02:11) correct 11% (02:44) wrong based on 58 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Starting from today, I will be posting a few questions on the three sections of GMAT verbal namely, SC,CR and RC in their relevant sub forums. .You can critique them from every angle including proof-reading. You may send in your suggestions to me either here or over PM and I shall study them intently for any possible corrections.

Your genuine critical appraisals will get a kudo; If you are however solving the question, then post them separately so that it may also fetch you kudos from members .

The best of these questions may one day become part of our gmatclub tests

So here we go with our launch starting with the first batch of CR questions

A chemo therapy used for treating abdominal cancer blocks the receptors in the digestive tract, when somebody takes the anti - cancer chemical within two hours of ingesting any nicotine product; however the chemical loses the cancer - blocking trait when the treatment is repeated four or five times in a day. Scientist think that nicotine contains some factor that turns the receptors upside-down, thus resulting in the anti-cancer chemical’s inability to bind with the receptors.

Which of the following conclusions could be most properly drawn from the information given above?

A) If one takes the chemo-therapy more than two hour after nicotine, its effectiveness is not diminished.
B) Ingesting nicotine after taking the medication does not diminish the effectiveness of the medication.
C) Abdominal cancer produces only one type of receptor in the stomach
D) The therapeutic regimen will fail if the binding at the receptor level is abnormal
E) Digestive cancers cannot be cured with the currently available chemo-therapy due to the highly mutagenic nature of the receptors

OA and OE after 5 solutions

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7901 [0], given: 363

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 395 [1], given: 172

GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member
Re: Gmatclub Verbal Diagnostic test No 5, Question No 2 CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2014, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
IMO D

Below is my reasoning

A) If one takes the chemo-therapy more than two hour after nicotine, its effectiveness is not diminished. --Can't deduce what will happen if we take chemotherapy more than 2 hours after nicotine
B) Ingesting nicotine after taking the medication does not diminish the effectiveness of the medication. --can't deduce this one too from the stem
C) Abdominal cancer produces only one type of receptor in the stomach --Extreme and can't be deduced from stem.
D) The therapeutic regimen will fail if the binding at the receptor level is abnormal --- This is a rephrase of last sentence of stem i.e. Scientist think that nicotine contains some factor that turns the receptors upside-down, thus resulting in the anti-cancer chemical’s inability to bind with the receptors
E) Digestive cancers cannot be cured with the currently available chemo-therapy due to the highly mutagenic nature of the receptors-- Can't be deduced from stem

Please post OA and OE :-)

Kudos [?]: 395 [1], given: 172

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 622

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 05:03
Understood it as an infer kind of question.:
Option B to me, would love the OA and OE:

A chemo therapy used for treating abdominal cancer blocks the receptors in the digestive tract, when somebody takes the anti - cancer chemical within two hours of ingesting any nicotine product; however the chemical loses the cancer - blocking trait when the treatment is repeated four or five times in a day. Scientist think that nicotine contains some factor that turns the receptors upside-down, thus resulting in the anti-cancer chemical’s inability to bind with the receptors.

CONCL: Thus once nicotine is in the system it can cause the anti-cancer treatment to falter and not bind with receptors. This happens 4-5 times a day, however this is mentioned post ingestion of nicotine.

We need to infer a conclusion about the above as per the question

Which of the following conclusions could be most properly drawn from the information given above?

A) If one takes the chemo-therapy more than two hour after nicotine, its effectiveness is not diminished. - Probably it is, because this blocking happens 4 -5 times a day
B) Ingesting nicotine after taking the medication does not diminish the effectiveness of the medication. There is no mention of blocking BEFORE nicotine ingestion - thus it is possible
C) Abdominal cancer produces only one type of receptor in the stomach No mention of this and no information about it either
D) The therapeutic regimen will fail if the binding at the receptor level is abnormal Too much of stretch - it could be still effective due to other tweaks in the treatment
E) Digestive cancers cannot be cured with the currently available chemo-therapy due to the highly mutagenic nature of the receptors:/ Out of scope?

Would like to know the OA - I'm torn between D and B. B looks more probable to me

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 622

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 10:36
Chose D,

To me A & D are contenders. Wait for the OA

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V32
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 11:19
This is a must be true question(inference)
SCientists think that due to nicotine, the chemical from the medicine is not able to bind at the receptors.
Hence it must be true that if the medicine is ingested first, it might be able to bind at the receptors.

A) If one takes the chemo-therapy more than two hour after nicotine, its effectiveness is not diminished.
This is not mentioned.

B) Ingesting nicotine after taking the medication does not diminish the effectiveness of the medication.
Yes, considering the statements of the argument true, presence of nicotine deters the chemical from binding to receptors.
so it must be true that the medicine is effective when taken before nicotine.

C) Abdominal cancer produces only one type of receptor in the stomach
Not relevant

D) The therapeutic regimen will fail if the binding at the receptor level is abnormal
"Will fail"is too extreme as we are not told anything about the consequences of abnormal binding.

E) Digestive cancers cannot be cured with the currently available chemo-therapy due to the highly mutagenic nature of the receptors
No such information

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 24

Re: Gmatclub Verbal Diagnostic test No 5, Question No 2 CR   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2017, 11:19

Gmatclub Verbal Diagnostic test No 5, Question No 2 CR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap