GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 12:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMATPrep 760/750, Actual 690 (new shorter version) -- ESR attached

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMATPrep 760/750, Actual 690 (new shorter version) -- ESR attached  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Apr 2018, 15:18
Hi Guys,

Wanted to get your advice.. I took GMATPrep at the end of February and then at end of March scoring 760 (Q49, V44) and 750 (Q48, V44). Tests were taken under very real conditions, without previously having seen the questions.
I have also taken actual GMAT 10 years ago and scored 710 (Q47, V40). I am a non-native English speaker, so fully expected my verbal score to increase in 10 years -- and my expectation was confirmed in practice tests. I did all OG questions and consistently got 80-90% correct. Also reviewed Manhattan guides.

Then, last week I sat for the new version of the test and scored 690 (Q48, V36). I was stressed out on quant and thought I did horribly, but it was verbal that messed me up. Looking back, I don't remember struggling much with Verbal questions and overall feel was the same as when I did practice tests scoring V44.

I did run out of time in both practice tests for math and verbal, but I wasn't worried about it as it still allowed me to score my goal 750. On the actual test, I guessed last 5 questions in quant and in verbal. Not sure what went wrong and how I went from V44 twice to V36 on the actual test.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do and what could have happened for my score to dip so drastically?

I did get an ESR -- see attached. Nothing stands out in the ESR though to point me to the answer of what went wrong other than running out of time.

Any ideas? Thanks guys!
Attachments

v36_2.png
v36_2.png [ 60.25 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]

v36_1.png
v36_1.png [ 206.36 KiB | Viewed 867 times ]

Originally posted by Sowelu on 30 Apr 2018, 10:22.
Last edited by Sowelu on 30 Apr 2018, 15:18, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: HBS '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GRE 1: Q168 V164
GPA: 3.57
CAT Tests
Re: GMATPrep 760/750, Actual 690 (new shorter version) -- ESR attached  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 11:22
My advice is that you should take another GMAT exam. In general as one grows older, quantitative ability tends to decrease. Verbal ability on the other hand, tends to increase as one grows older. Your verbal score of V36 does not seem to represent your true ability.

Kindly press the +1Kudos if you like the explanation. Thanks a lot!!!

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMATPrep 760/750, Actual 690 (new shorter version) -- ESR attached  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 13:02
In verbal, few wrong qquestions can significantly decrease the final score. I guess if you keep studying, you'll get the score you want as your timing improves and you complete all the questions on time.
GMATclub quant tests are great to strengthen quant knowledge.
For verbal, work on SC as it is the easiest to improve. As far as I know, RC is very important in a shorter version, so it might help to change RC tactics. I found Powerprep RC very helpful. However, there are many good RC tactics on this forum and you have to find and adopt the one that works best for you.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Please post your ESR when you get 5 posts

Non progredi est regredi

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 15:09
houston1980 wrote:
My advice is that you should take another GMAT exam. In general as one grows older, quantitative ability tends to decrease. Verbal ability on the other hand, tends to increase as one grows older. Your verbal score of V36 does not seem to represent your true ability.

Thank you! I ordered PowerScore CR book to review and Kaplan 800 to solve through to practice speed before I retake.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 15:18
Akela wrote:
In verbal, few wrong qquestions can significantly decrease the final score. I guess if you keep studying, you'll get the score you want as your timing improves and you complete all the questions on time.
GMATclub quant tests are great to strengthen quant knowledge.
For verbal, work on SC as it is the easiest to improve. As far as I know, RC is very important in a shorter version, so it might help to change RC tactics. I found Powerprep RC very helpful. However, there are many good RC tactics on this forum and you have to find and adopt the one that works best for you.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Please post your ESR when you get 5 posts

ESR is now attached!
RC was my weakest section. It is mind blowing to me because in my GMATPrep and OG/Verbal review I literally missed maybe 3-4% of all RC questions. It was my best area during practice and overall I usually do well on tests, so this result was like a hit out of left field. That's why I am struggling unsure about how to adjust my strategy. I am now trying to read more/faster using articles from Economist.

You guys are awesome here -- it is so easy to get discouraged. Thank you!
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: HBS '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GRE 1: Q168 V164
GPA: 3.57
CAT Tests
GMATPrep 760/750, Actual 690 (new shorter version) -- ESR attached  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 16:34
Your ESR shows that you can definitely do better than V36. It shows you are very good in Verbal, but the problem with this particular exam was your pacing with verbal. The ESR shows that you spent only 27 seconds on average on each question in the 4th quarter, and that you missed 75% of the question in the fourth quarter. The difficulty of the questions you missed in fourth quarter is not high. The difficulty of the questions that you got 100% correct in the third quarter is higher than difficulty of fourth quarter questions where you got only 25% correct.

V36 is still high at 81% percentile. I will advise you focus on your pacing time. From the verbal ESR, you are excellent with GMAT Verbal, but your pacing (time management) is the problem.

According to GMAT, The standard error of measurement is 30-40 points on a 200-800 scale. Therefore if someone true GMAT ability is 730, the actual score someone get might range from 690 to 770.

I am optimistic that you will score higher on your next GMAT exam, if you can work on your pacing and timing.

Kindly press the +1Kudos if you like the explanation. Thanks a lot!!!

GMATPrep 760/750, Actual 690 (new shorter version) -- ESR attached &nbs [#permalink] 30 Apr 2018, 16:34

GMATPrep 760/750, Actual 690 (new shorter version) -- ESR attached

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap