It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Goals question

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 269

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 19:39
After getting dinged by a couple of schools, I am taking feedback from a few of my friends on my goals essay. My long term goal is to move to Middle East and lead supply chain operations for an American retail chain there (more and more retail chains are starting operations in the Middle East). I am originally from India, but have been living in the states for about 6 years. I can read Arabic and understand it to an extent although I haven't been there yet.

After reading my goals, a few of my friends thought that schools might have wondered about the seriousness of my goal. They thought if I were serious, I would apply to schools in the gulf rather than to schools in US. But, for me US schools offer a lot more that schools in the gulf region won't be able to offer. Besides, in the short term I want to join operations consulting firms and if possible take assignments in the Middle East.

Do people write about goal of moving to other countries and do US schools look favorably upon such applicants?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 523

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Schools: Harvard '11
Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 19:49
I think the b-school adcom's skepticism might arise from the fact that you have never been to the Middle East, and they may feel that basic knowledge of Arabic does not equal local know-how. I personally have no idea, but I'm guessing they thought your goals were out of line, especially in the current economic climate, and that you have not done enough research.

I think successful applicants who specify working in certain countries/regions are generally from those places (born, lived in for x years, etc.).

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 251

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 19:50
aakashganga wrote:

Do people write about goal of moving to other countries and do US schools look favorably upon such applicants?


I think you can write about the regions you want to work post-MBA.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 269

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 19:54
fall09 wrote:
aakashganga wrote:

Do people write about goal of moving to other countries and do US schools look favorably upon such applicants?


I think you can write about the regions you want to work post-MBA.


Do US schools wonder why you didn't apply to Business schools in those regions instead?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 269

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 20:36
msday wrote:
I think the b-school adcom's skepticism might arise from the fact that you have never been to the Middle East, and they may feel that basic knowledge of Arabic does not equal local know-how. I personally have no idea, but I'm guessing they thought your goals were out of line, especially in the current economic climate, and that you have not done enough research.

I think successful applicants who specify working in certain countries/regions are generally from those places (born, lived in for x years, etc.).



My point was there are some emerging markets in the world. Gulf region is one of them. I already have some skills to work in this region. Hence, I want to capitalize on the business opportunity in the region. My short term goal was to join to an operations consulting firm and take assignments in the region. So, it was not that I was going to go to Gulf right after my MBA.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 251

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 20:44
aakashganga wrote:
fall09 wrote:
aakashganga wrote:

Do people write about goal of moving to other countries and do US schools look favorably upon such applicants?


I think you can write about the regions you want to work post-MBA.


Do US schools wonder why you didn't apply to Business schools in those regions instead?


I think u address that in the 'Why school?' part.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 20:51
Maybe adcom isn't sure how getting a MBA from their school specifically is going to help you reach your goal.

Your goal was very specific and yet, even I can't figure out why you have to get your MBA to reach that goal.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2008
Posts: 372

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 1

Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 20:55
Maybe the problem was in some other part of your application
_________________

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 1

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 269

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 20:57
ninkorn wrote:
Maybe adcom isn't sure how getting a MBA from their school specifically is going to help you reach your goal.

Your goal was very specific and yet, even I can't figure out why you have to get your MBA to reach that goal.


oh.. I didn't talk about that as yet. I work in supply chain IT. I want to move to supply chain operations. Hence, MBA serves as a perfect bridge for the transition.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 269

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 20:57
spiridon wrote:
Maybe the problem was in some other part of your application


Possible. I am just trying to introspect. Thanks though.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 269

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 20:59
fall09 wrote:

I think u address that in the 'Why school?' part.


Yeah, but then if you say you want to work in India in the long-term, my question was would schools wonder why you don't go to an Indian business school instead.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Schools: Tuck
Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 21:06
I think if you answer "why school X" and "why I want to work in the Middle East" it won't be an issue.

If you gave solid reasons for attending school "X", such as a specific concentration offered or industry connections (say a oil company that operates in the ME) then the adcom should be satisfied.

Similarly, if you can give a good reason why you want to work in the ME, such as specific interest in the region (support with examples) or your industry of interest is centered there, then you should be fine on that point also.

There are plenty of people who come to the US for MBAs who plan on have career outside of the US, it isn't an automatic disqualifier.

RF
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Schools: Tuck
Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 21:08
aakashganga wrote:
fall09 wrote:

I think u address that in the 'Why school?' part.


Yeah, but then if you say you want to work in India in the long-term, my question was would schools wonder why you don't go to an Indian business school instead.


They won't if you provide specific examples why attending their school is better than attending a school in India.

RF
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2947

Kudos [?]: 667 [0], given: 210

Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 18:19
Hi aakash I feel that the goal is interesting and distinctive. Perhaps, you need to talk about where do these goals stem from a bit more. See if you can answer these questions :

Why are you so interested in supply chain (i.e. what is your motivation / inspiration / passion behind this)?
Why the middle east ?
How will operations consulting help you achieve supply chain in middle east in long run ?
Did you mention the names of specific consulting firms ?
Does the school place lots of students in operations consulting ?
Does the school have great faculty/clubs that specialises in supply chain / operations (did you mention that on the essays ?)

Good luck.

aakashganga wrote:
After getting dinged by a couple of schools, I am taking feedback from a few of my friends on my goals essay. My long term goal is to move to Middle East and lead supply chain operations for an American retail chain there (more and more retail chains are starting operations in the Middle East). I am originally from India, but have been living in the states for about 6 years. I can read Arabic and understand it to an extent although I haven't been there yet.

After reading my goals, a few of my friends thought that schools might have wondered about the seriousness of my goal. They thought if I were serious, I would apply to schools in the gulf rather than to schools in US. But, for me US schools offer a lot more that schools in the gulf region won't be able to offer. Besides, in the short term I want to join operations consulting firms and if possible take assignments in the Middle East.

Do people write about goal of moving to other countries and do US schools look favorably upon such applicants?

Kudos [?]: 667 [0], given: 210

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 269

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 18:24
refurb wrote:
aakashganga wrote:
fall09 wrote:

I think u address that in the 'Why school?' part.


Yeah, but then if you say you want to work in India in the long-term, my question was would schools wonder why you don't go to an Indian business school instead.


They won't if you provide specific examples why attending their school is better than attending a school in India.

RF


I didn't compare the schools. Since you are from Canada, did you do so?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 269

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 18:33
Why are you so interested in supply chain (i.e. what is your motivation / inspiration / passion behind this)?

I have been working in Supply chain IT for last 4 years. I want to move to the supply chain operations. MBA helps me in transitioning.

Why the middle east ?

Middle East is one of the emerging markets for high end retail business. A lot of US chains are setting up operations in this area (my current company being one of them). I have relatives in this area and hence been exposed to it for a while. Over the last 2 years, I have studied Arabic and have a grasp on the culture.

How will operations consulting help you achieve supply chain in middle east in long run ?

Since my background is non-business, I am not exposed to various aspects of running a business in an untapped market. Ops consulting will gives me this exposure and helps me solidify my position to grab the opportunity.


Did you mention the names of specific consulting firms ?

Yes.

Does the school place lots of students in operations consulting ?

Yes. Nowadays many MC firms are combining strategy and operations (except Mckinsey) and yes schools I applied to have a good placement in this industry.

Does the school have great faculty/clubs that specialises in supply chain / operations (did you mention that on the essays ?)

I did.

So, not sure what went wrong. I am beginning to think that some other aspect of my application didn't work.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2006
Posts: 291

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

Location: SFO Bay Area
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 19:23
aakashganga wrote:
After getting dinged by a couple of schools, I am taking feedback from a few of my friends on my goals essay. My long term goal is to move to Middle East and lead supply chain operations for an American retail chain there (more and more retail chains are starting operations in the Middle East). I am originally from India, but have been living in the states for about 6 years. I can read Arabic and understand it to an extent although I haven't been there yet.

After reading my goals, a few of my friends thought that schools might have wondered about the seriousness of my goal. They thought if I were serious, I would apply to schools in the gulf rather than to schools in US. But, for me US schools offer a lot more that schools in the gulf region won't be able to offer. Besides, in the short term I want to join operations consulting firms and if possible take assignments in the Middle East.

Do people write about goal of moving to other countries and do US schools look favorably upon such applicants?


Here are a few tips that I have gathered after talking to a number of successful MBAs:

1. You can and certainly should name the place if you know it already about where you want to work after MBA..i.e long term goal
2. To make a good long term goal that sounds convincing, you should be able to show some past/current WE in that area, to be able to show that yes you have done your research and middle east or where ever is the right location for you in the long term and your research shows that you will be comfortable living and working there apart from being successful.
3. Schools do not worry about where you want to work after MBA...as its your personal choice...but you certainly need to show why you need an MBA and why from this/that school...knowledge is knowledge, you should be able to apply it anywhere, so middle east or even Africa or any other place is absolutely fine, as long as you can do justice and show that this is the place you belong to...

Good luck.

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2008
Posts: 372

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 1

Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 19:34
I believe that they dont pay attention where or even what do u want to work/do

they just want to see that u r highly motivated for their program coupled with some sincerity i guess...



i dont think that was a problem with ur application at all

maybe they got too many similar candidates with similar profile as urs

what r ur numbers n background if u dont mind sharing
_________________

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 251

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 19:37
I'm not putting any location preference in my essays.But I believe if you do put a location,especially something other than your home country or USA,you might want to show some ties to that region.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 269

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Goals question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 19:41
spiridon wrote:
I believe that they dont pay attention where or even what do u want to work/do

they just want to see that u r highly motivated for their program coupled with some sincerity i guess...



i dont think that was a problem with ur application at all

maybe they got too many similar candidates with similar profile as urs

what r ur numbers n background if u dont mind sharing


oh sure.

8 yrs IT/supply chain at a fortune 50 retailer. 740 GMAT/ Good GPA.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Goals question   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2008, 19:41

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Goals question

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.