Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 14:50 It is currently 02 May 2024, 14:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 690 Q43 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT 4: 760 Q47 V48
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5141 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620779 [0]
Given Kudos: 81730
Send PM
Re: Got a 740 again--should I retake? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Jkreider wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Jkreider.

This question makes more sense in the BSchool Applications forum. So, I'm going to request that it be moved there for you so that you get the responses you're looking for.

Sounds good--is that something I need to do? Apologies, I'm not terribly familiar with how this forum's inner mechanics work lol

Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
Got a 740 again--should I retake? [#permalink]
At this point, your test score is 100% competitive.

And yes, as a former head of an MBA AdCom, we do look at all scores - and your progress is actually a great thing!

Now, you want to focus all your energy on creating a compelling MBA candidacy through the rest of your application materials.

A few resources for you:

An MBA Application Roadmap

An invitation to a very special low-cost high-touch MBA Admissions Coaching program!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Send PM
MyMBAPath wrote:
At this point, your test score is 100% competitive.

And yes, as a former head of an MBA AdCom, we do look at all scores - and your progress is actually a great thing!

Now, you want to focus all your energy on creating a compelling MBA candidacy through the rest of your application materials.

Appreciate this response. I just have a couple quick follow up questions that my anxiety ridden brain has to ask:
1) Do you believe that this 740 with the split is true for all business schools generally, or more specifically for HBS/Wharton? I'm not currently planning on applying anywhere else, so specific is better than general in this regard

2) If I were to retake and get a higher score but a lower overall Q/V split (let's say 48Q and 44V), would that be looked down on or unfavorably?

I only ask because the other parts of my application are relatively locked down (stellar recommendations, good story, etc.) and I'm trying to see if the additional 10-20 hours to nail down my weaknesses would be worth the squeeze, especially from an HBS/Wharton perspective.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
Let me put it to you this way. If you apply to H/W and don't get invited to an interview, it will definitely NOT be because of your test score. If you truly have a compelling story, you will get traction.

I will admit that when a candidate says "the other parts of my application are relatively locked down (stellar recommendations, good story, etc.)", I get nervous. 95% of the time when someone says that, it means they don't have a full appreciation of how much work goes into a really strong story for the very top schools. Having a good story is one thing. Telling a good story throughout your application is a whole different beast. I am not saying this to scare you, just to light a bit of a fire under your feet to not underestimate the most important part of a H/W application.

The good thing is that right now, it's not an "either/or" problem. You can do both. If you truly feel that you want to keep investing focus in the test, then that's what you should do. You will just have to simultaneously work on the rest of your candidacy. Best of luck!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jkreider:

We agree with the previous comments. Your scores, even for these top programs, are totally fine. In fact, they are great.

You should stop worrying too much about this exam and instead focus on the rest of your profile. Before you know it, you will be consumed by the application itself - essays, LORs, resume/CV - which are going to be arguably equally as important. Think about how you will craft your narrative and how you will manage your recommenders. Lastly, if you haven't already, spend time getting to know the top programs and engage with students, alumni, professors, etc. as appropriate.

If you are need of a plan of action, please reach out to my team for a free consultation.

https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey Jkreider,

Based on the information provided, you seem to have a strong profile for both Harvard and Wharton. Your GMAT score of 740 is above the median for both schools, and your GPA is impressive at 3.95. Additionally, your work experience at the top consulting firm Bain & Company and your current position in LMM private equity, along with your leadership position in a non-profit organization, demonstrate strong accomplishments and leadership potential.

It is worth noting that both Harvard and Wharton have holistic admissions processes and consider a range of factors beyond just GMAT and GPA. Your diversity profile and background growing up in poverty could add a unique perspective to the student body and strengthen your application.
In terms of retaking the GMAT, it may not be necessary, given your strong overall profile and the fact that you have scored above the median for your target schools. However, if you feel that you can improve your score and it will make you more competitive, then it may be worth considering.
Regarding super scoring, some schools do consider super-scored GMAT scores, but it is best to check with each individual school's admissions policies to confirm.

Overall, you have a strong profile for both Harvard and Wharton, and it will come down to how well you can articulate your achievements, goals, and fit for each school in your application. Good luck with your applications!

In case you want to enhance your chances at Wharton and Harvard, feel free to discuss your profile in length with our profile experts. Feel free to hop on a call with us. Hence, feel free to schedule a free profile evaluation call with us at your convenience.

“Coffee with MBA and Beyond”.

Cheers!
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
MBA and Beyond

Jkreider wrote:
Hey team, Just got done with my 4th attempt, and I'm looking for some advice on if I need to retake the GMAT. I got a 740 again, but ot sure if that cuts it for my profile.

I'm targeting Harvard and Wharton (might apply to GSB, but not entirely sure because frankly I don't think I'd fit in). Last year, I was interviewed at HBS but got dinged. I'm applying again this year with another year of work under my belt and an promotion to Senior Associate.

I'd really appreciate anyone's insight here on retaking--I seem to crush it in the practice exams, but there's always one thing or another that goes wrong during the actual test itself.

I'm also wondering if the Adcoms look at all scores you submit, because if you superscore my GMATs, I have the equivalent of a 760 with the 49Q and 45V. I've proven that I can hit over the median for the schools I want to go to--is there any reason to keep pushing here?

Relevant score data
Thus far, my scores have been:
1) 690: 43Q, 41V (Feb 2019)
2) 730: 47Q, 44V (Dec 2019)
3) 740: 47Q, 45V (March 2023)
4) 740: 49Q, 41V (April 2023)
All tests were taken at testing centers.

Practice exams have regularly been higher: 2x 750 with 49Q and 44V, and one 770 with 49Q and 48V. Manhattan have been lower, but everyone knows that their CATs are junk anyways.

Relevant work data
- Graduated from BYU in 2019, STEM major, GPA 3.95
- Worked at Bain & Company for 2 years, mid-bucket reviews, but top reviews on team/people (Class captain)
- Currently working in LMM private Equity, stellar, top-bucket reviews (will be promoted before applications drop)
- Currently sit on the board of a non-profit helping FGLI kids get into and stay in college (I came from a trailer park, same background)

Diversity profile
- Straight, White, Christian, Conservative male
- Father is disabled veteran, lived below the poverty line all growing up
- Married with kids
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey y'all!

Posting this for future generations. I wanted to be sure and verify what the others have said about Adcoms taking into account all of the scores earned. I emailed HBS, GSB, and Wharton to ask them, "Do you, as an admissions committee, only consider each GMAT test alone, or do you look at the range of scores from multiple GMATs?"

Here are the replies from each school:

HBS: "We only look at the score from one GMAT sitting into account for the application. We hope this helps!"
Wharton: "The application will allow you to enter two exam scores to the application. As such, we will consider the highest score from each exam. If you have taken the text multiple times and have an overall highest score feel free to just enter in that score. We will consider the highest component scores of each exam."
GSB: "If you have taken the GMAT more than once, report only the scores from one examination that you wish us to consider while reviewing your application. The scores you report must be from the same testing session."

So it looks like, according to the source, that Wharton will look at the range, but HBS and GSB do not.

Hope it's helpful!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5141 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jkreider wrote:
So it looks like, according to the source, that Wharton will look at the range, but HBS and GSB do not.

Hope it's helpful!

Interesting info for sure.
GMAT Club Bot