GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 07:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Got admitted to NYU and Stevens, which one to go ?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Got admitted to NYU and Stevens, which one to go ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 08:35
Hi there,

I have just received offers from NYU MS Management of Technology and Stevens MS Information Systems, I am an international student and in the future I would like to stay in US for IT/ banking/ Consulting job opportunities after I graduate, any advice which one is better choice for me?

Thanks a lot!
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 12:23
chlchl wrote:
Hi there,

I have just received offers from NYU MS Management of Technology and Stevens MS Information Systems, I am an international student and in the future I would like to stay in US for IT/ banking/ Consulting job opportunities after I graduate, any advice which one is better choice for me?

Thanks a lot!

Which one is STEM program? It must official certified STEM.
Intern
Intern
Re: Got admitted to NYU and Stevens, which one to go ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 04:34
Mo2men wrote:
chlchl wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the reply, both are officially certified STEM programme
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 09:34
chlchl wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks a lot!

Hello chlchl

Congrats on receiving offers from two strong universities. :clap:

First question, what interest you more in terms of curriculum, MS Management of Technology or MS Information Systems ?

I did went through both program curriculum's out of curiosity and for research purpose, but that question should only be answered by you.

What is more appealing in subject to me, doesn't have to be for you and vice versa.

In terms of reputation NYU is slightly better known and brand positioned than Stevens, but that is only overall as university not as particular programs.

Here is the nice list of companies that are hiring from NYU MS Management of Technology program :

Google
Amazon
Apple
Goldman Sachs
Mckinsey & company
IBM
JPMorgan Chase & Co
Citi
Morgan Stanley
Bloomberg
Sprint
Motorola
Accenture
JetBlue
Verizon
Deloitte
ESPN
Bae systems
Time Warner
Northwell Health

To me Stevens curriculum is little more interesting, however from perspective of your goals, on NYU Tandon School of Engineering you will cover Economics and Accounting & Finance and there is also Cyber security concentration (if that interest you) that will be beneficial for your future banking/IT job.

On Stevens, there is Financial Decision Making course and Business Intelligence & Analytics concentration that is interesting and suitable for your career desires.

Stevens also boast about 96% employment rate 3 months after graduation.

All in all, they will both serve you well in terms of job prospects....you just need to decide what interest you more in terms of study and curriculum.

I would base my decision only on that.

If you base your decision only on overall brand recognition, then NYU wins...however I don't believe that would be right approach, especially since you will not have problem to find proper job upon graduation, where ever you decide to go.

Mo2men wrote:
chlchl wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks a lot!

Hi Mo2men

Just by nature of the study and even more with reputation of the both schools it is obvious they will both be STEM. :)

If that was not the case, if one of those schools is less known second or third tier, I would agree if would make sense to make sure they are officially certified, however I still believe it is much more related to the nature of study than its quality.

chlchl Good Luck with your decision and keep us posted ! :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 09:54
billionaire wrote:

Hi Mo2men

Just by nature of the study and even more with reputation of the both schools it is obvious they will both be STEM. :)

If that was not the case, if one of those schools is less known second or third tier, I would agree if would make sense to make sure they are officially certified, however I still believe it is much more related to the nature of study than its quality.

Hi billionaire

I understand your point. But let me clarify something from my direct experience and advice received years ago. Few years ago Purude launched a supply chain master which equals to other STEM programs like Ross SCM or Ohio or others (its nature was the same). I emailed the adcom for the program who confirmed the nature of the program as STEM but they can't claim it STEM as it did not obtain legal certification from the government. Also, the adcom representative advised me not consider a program as STEM until it is stated officially in the schools website of credible schools. Some school go far beyond that (especially lower ranked school) and provide the the registration number to check on other governmental website. So, based on my experience, I'm always be cautious as maybe it is new program or something I do not.

P.S. The Purdue master is now certified STEM after 2 years of launching the program.

I really like your effort to help others with your analysis. I love reading it. Keep it up :thumbup:
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 10:24
chlchl wrote:

Thanks for the reply, both are officially certified STEM programme

I can see that billionaire provided great analysis. I agree that NYU is higher than Stevens and more important its location in hub of all jobs you dream of. However, it seems every program has different goal. As I think, Stevens is more for technical jobs and NYU is more about management of data and technology. So, It is all about you to decide.

Good luck
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 22:48
billionaire wrote:
chlchl wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks a lot!

Hi billionaire and Mo2men, great thanks to your thoughtful input, I really appreciated that. A bit more background about myself, I have done a bachelor in economics and finance from an Asian business school, the curriculum in Stevens looks more relevant to what I wish to learn as they are more information management/ technology related. As for NYU MOT, a few mandatory courses are related to economics/finance/accounting which most likely will be duplicated with what I have learnt from my undergraduate degree. Is this a correct understanding?

However, when I go back my home country to look for jobs in future, having NYU on my profile seems to be slightly more reputable than Stevens because most people in my home country might simply never heard of the name of Stevens before.

Based on the concerns above I am still considering between the two choices.
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 04:15
chlchl wrote:

Hi billionaire and Mo2men, great thanks to your thoughtful input, I really appreciated that. A bit more background about myself, I have done a bachelor in economics and finance from an Asian business school, the curriculum in Stevens looks more relevant to what I wish to learn as they are more information management/ technology related. As for NYU MOT, a few mandatory courses are related to economics/finance/accounting which most likely will be duplicated with what I have learnt from my undergraduate degree. Is this a correct understanding?

However, when I go back my home country to look for jobs in future, having NYU on my profile seems to be slightly more reputable than Stevens because most people in my home country might simply never heard of the name of Stevens before.

Can you ask for waving some courses that you studied in undergrad? Try to open communication with adcome there.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 16:25
chlchl wrote:
billionaire wrote:
chlchl wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks a lot!

Hello chlchl

From your initial post I understood you want to stay in US to work after graduation ?

You didn't mention anything going back to Asia afterwards ?

From that perspective only, yes NYU should be clear choice.

Having said that, it really doesn't matter much where did you graduated after spending some time working in US banking/IT company, before eventually going back to Asia.

If that is your plan/goal, then US firm experience on your resume should be perceived as stronger reference for next job in Asia than graduate school alone.

Still, I understand if you want to play safe, then go for NYU.

Stevens is well known in US for excellent and innovative programs, outside of US brand of NYU wins.

Somehow I think you made your choice...or you are already inclined more toward NYU :)

Don't worry you will be fine either way ! :cool:

Hello Mo2men

Thank you for the praise, I am glad you find my posts/analysis useful.

Yes I am aware that lower ranked schools do provide even subject reference code under their program falls on, for their marketing purposes in order to lure students.

Did you eventually went the some kind of master or ?

Do you have any plans now, for some program ?

Your kudos are much appreciated

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 11:56
billionaire wrote:

Hello Mo2men

Thank you for the praise, I am glad you find my posts/analysis useful.

Yes I am aware that lower ranked schools do provide even subject reference code under their program falls on, for their marketing purposes in order to lure students.

Did you eventually went the some kind of master or ?

Do you have any plans now, for some program ?

Hi billionaire

I have some plans for either mba or masters. It depends on many things. I hope to achieve my dreams soon.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Got admitted to NYU and Stevens, which one to go ? &nbs [#permalink] 29 Oct 2018, 11:56

Got admitted to NYU and Stevens, which one to go ?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap