Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Schools:ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
 Q48  V24 GMAT 2: 610  Q48  V27
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General
Schools:Columbia
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Got destroyed today - 670 Q48 V35 [#permalink]
openbox1 wrote:
Damn. Like Warlock says, take it again. You were complaining about your eyes. Were you alright this time?

Prob u got hit with RC since that was your most variable section. And your Quant is weaker than MGMAT scores (u rarely went below 50-49) which means u were underperforming during actual. 700 should be easy. Schedule ASAP on Sept and u can still make it for R1.

Don't let one score drag you down bro. Remember test variance. Plus perhaps you were stressing about it too much. When u take it, remember, its just a stupid test that you can retake as many times as you want.

Yea I know.

See I am recent grad and I am applying to elite masters courses, not MBA. My score is above their median GMAT score.

I have no freaking clue where I went wrong. I was going so smooth in every section. I did not find even one question difficult. Plus I have exhausted all my material.

I have plenty of time to retake, that is if I want to. But right now I am contemplating whether I really need it or not. I have asked for a profile eval. Lets see. Maybe I will retake, but I have feeling I will get the same score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS, Oxford
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Akhilesh

Thats shocking....cant believe....please retake...preferably asap...with kind of prep you have...might not need to do much efforts now...just take things lightly

I was so curious about your score...I have told about you to everyone in my family and how inspiring your efforts are....

Just want to add one more thing....dont let this score anyway affect your fundamentals about life...hardwork always pays...it might have not paid...but it will almost everytime pay

+ the kind of project you made of your GMAT prep...I must say...this professionalism will help you conquer many other milestones....you have age on your side and acquiring such work ethics at this early age….you will do wonders if you continue to prepare yourself like this

At your age…I was a hopeless guy….and that is why otherday I used word “envy” for your prep

buddy…Im extremely proud of you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
I am sorry, really. Vagaries of tests are always out of control.You did, and do, deserve much better.
while you dont need to, right now, if you can afford i think you should retake. you will in all probability, considering your level of prep, do better. and the score will stay with you for 5 years, in which you might just make a career choice that may need a GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Akhilesh,

Give yourself a short break, and don't think about it. Taking a break usually puts things in perspective. Don't make any decisions now.

I know when I came back from my test last week, I was like I don't even want to apply for an MBA anymore. Obviously, that's not the case.

Don't worry man. This test is highly unpredictable..

Best of luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sunflwr3 wrote:
Akhilesh,

Give yourself a short break, and don't think about it. Taking a break usually puts things in perspective. Don't make any decisions now.

I know when I came back from my test last week, I was like I don't even want to apply for an MBA anymore. Obviously, that's not the case.

Don't worry man. This test is highly unpredictable..

Best of luck!

What was your score?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
650 (Q 48, V31)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I hear you man. This sucks!

Are you retaking?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah I am for sure!

I have some work deadlines in the next two months so might take in November. But I'm retaking it for sure, just need to decide on the date.

My verbal had been very weak. Im following bb and reading a few books while brushing up my grammar skills in the meantime. So right now, I'm reading books to get me used to reading and comprehending things fast, then before going to bed, reading my mgmat sc, cr notes once.

Don't worry dude, as someone in the previous post mentioned your drive and organized approach to the GMAT shows how well prepared you are for school or work.

Don't give up, but don't beat yourself up over it. Relax, go meet your friends, reward yourself for the hard work, and then get back on the horse.

It'll pay off. Hard work never goes to waste.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Hi Akhilesh - Take a small break for some days. Once you feel calm, put a detailed DEBRIEF of your attempt.

Remember the quote - "You learn more from your Failure than from your Success"

Originally posted by krishp84 on 20 Aug 2011, 09:45.
Last edited by krishp84 on 20 Aug 2011, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
hey akhilesh, sorry to hear this man. Don't give up yet, you know you can definitely score better.. maybe this wasn't your day. Take a break, and start over. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing Analytics/Consulting
Schools:Kellogg
 Q51  V36
Send PM
It's saturday night here in India.. I am drunk as I am on every saturday night...

I saw ur score as 760 just as I opened my mail and I logged in to wish u ! coz dat is wt is expected out of u ..

Verbal is unpredictable for a non-native.. Wt happend to ur QA ??

Pls reschedule d exam man .. Dnt be bogged down .. U have age on ur side .. We all envy u ..

Gud luck .. Let's tk wt went wrong ..
Manager
Manager
Status:I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Johnson '15
Send PM
Hey Akki...I dont know what to say...but i can only say do take it once again and ur full potential can be seen then...may be the day was not urs....best of luck bro
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Akhilesh - let me tell you that irrespective of the score you received the Commitment you have shown is beyond your age. Trust me when I say this (I have ~10 yrs workex incl. PhD) that if you maintain similar level of commitment, it will take you to far greater heights than a 750 in GMAT! So, dont let this affect the way you approach things, some results will be in your favour and some wont.

Good luck with apps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [3]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
akhilesh: Sorry to hear things didn't go as you hoped. I think everyone (including me) was cheering for you since you've been such an active and inspiring poster on this forum. Whether or not you retake, all the best with your applications and remember this Chinese proverb that my parents quote for me when I face setbacks: 塞翁失馬 (Sāi Wēng Lost his Horse).

Sāi Wēng lived on the border and he raised horses for a living. One day he lost a horse and his neighbor felt sorry for him, but Sāi Wēng didn’t care about the horse, because he thought it wasn’t a bad thing to lose a horse. After a while the horse returned with another beautiful horse, and the neighbor congratulated him on his good luck. But Sāi Wēng thought that maybe it wasn’t a good thing to have this new horse.

His son liked the new horse a lot and often took it riding. One day his son fell off the horse and broke his leg. Because of his broken leg, he couldn’t go off to the war, as was expected of all the young men in the area. Most of them died.

This proverb is said when bad luck turns to good, or when good luck turns to bad. What you learned today may help you face greater challenges and achieve greater things in the future.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I just got my official score. Hats off to Pearson VUE's professionalism. They sent me the results after giving an estimate of 10 days, in just 5 days.

I scored a 6.0 in AWA. I had imagined a 4 or 4.5 . Thank you Chineseburned.

And it is true that the structure of the essay matters much more than the content.

Originally posted by akhileshgupta05 on 25 Aug 2011, 08:35.
Last edited by akhileshgupta05 on 25 Aug 2011, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
gmatkoopa wrote:
akhilesh: Sorry to hear things didn't go as you hoped. I think everyone (including me) was cheering for you since you've been such an active and inspiring poster on this forum. Whether or not you retake, all the best with your applications and remember this Chinese proverb that my parents quote for me when I face setbacks: 塞翁失馬 (Sāi Wēng Lost his Horse).

Sāi Wēng lived on the border and he raised horses for a living. One day he lost a horse and his neighbor felt sorry for him, but Sāi Wēng didn’t care about the horse, because he thought it wasn’t a bad thing to lose a horse. After a while the horse returned with another beautiful horse, and the neighbor congratulated him on his good luck. But Sāi Wēng thought that maybe it wasn’t a good thing to have this new horse.

His son liked the new horse a lot and often took it riding. One day his son fell off the horse and broke his leg. Because of his broken leg, he couldn’t go off to the war, as was expected of all the young men in the area. Most of them died.

This proverb is said when bad luck turns to good, or when good luck turns to bad. What you learned today may help you face greater challenges and achieve greater things in the future.

Thank you for the kind words and for the lesson!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Send PM
akhilesh - Do what your heart is telling you. If you think that you deserve more score, give another shot. In my fourth attempt, I crossed 700+. And I knew from the beginning that I was 700+ scorer. Right now you are upset and feeling lethargic and low in confidence to take another attempt. Give yourself a couple of weeks off ( if not days). And with fresh mind, think if you are fine with the score. If yes, you must be congnizant with the fact that you have to embrace everything that comes with this decision. For example, you might not be able to apply some great schools because of low score unless you have a stellar profile. Crossing 700+ score was important for me for two reasons – 1) I applied in the good schools before with my 640 score and was denied acceptance. So I needed a good score. 2) I needed an achievement ( or some kind of accomplishment) to lift my morale. Think what is best for you because you will be the ultimate bearer and decision maker of your life. We all are here to help you no matter what will be your decision.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts