Last visit was: 22 Jul 2024, 22:31 It is currently 22 Jul 2024, 22:31
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [12]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Gunfight at OK Corral, a famous gunfight in Tombstone, Arizona in 1881 [#permalink]
C is idiomatically incorrect,...
not x, but y is correct idiom

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: Gunfight at OK Corral, a famous gunfight in Tombstone, Arizona in 1881 [#permalink]
CEdward wrote:
Am I wrong here in thinking that "as" in C is nonsense? There is no comparison taking place. But would seem more appropriate.

It sounds a bit awkward but C is trying to compare what makes the incident more famous, the incident being historical or it being mentioned in movies and books. Hence, "as" is used to show it being historical contributes to the incident being famous but not as much as it being shown in movies and books.
Hope so I did not make it too complicated 😂.
Cheers 👍

Originally posted by AdityaJha on 26 Jan 2021, 02:17.
Last edited by AdityaJha on 26 Jan 2021, 02:33, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Gknight5603 wrote:
C is idiomatically incorrect,...
not x, but y is correct idiom

The passage actually means to say both x and y has contributed but tries to compare which of these two contributed more.
So 'x but not as much as y' has been used.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
Send PM
AdityaJha wrote:
Review both the options, C and E.
THE passage meant to say that the incident is famous because of historical importance but is mostly known because of its portrayal in numerous movies and books.
E changes the meaning to 'not at all famous because of historical importance' but only known because of its portrayal in numerous movies and books.
C does not change the meaning and is grammatically correct.

Why is D incorrect?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
erv20 wrote:
AdityaJha wrote:
Review both the options, C and E.
THE passage meant to say that the incident is famous because of historical importance but is mostly known because of its portrayal in numerous movies and books.
E changes the meaning to 'not at all famous because of historical importance' but only known because of its portrayal in numerous movies and books.
C does not change the meaning and is grammatically correct.

Why is D incorrect?

D says, "is not famous because of historical importance".

The passage meant to say that it is famous because of its history but mostly because of its portrayal in books and movies.
D changes the meaning and does not give any credit to its history.
Hope it helps 👍
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6982 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos