Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink]
I also read that part now....I am not so sure abt that since 2 of my immigration lawyers (one from a very famous law firm) told me the opposite.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
I thought of that as well.....and would love to keep the international travel option open. A few students I've spoken to said one could make a quick trip to India/wherever during winter/spring break and then get it done.
The fact that you're already well into the program will only help build your case.

That option seems reasonable to me, given that there is almost no international travel till summer in most cases.

Then there is the last option of tryin to get it stamped in say, Mexico or Canada. The risk there is, if things go awry in Mexico/Canada, you are left with no option but to fly directly from there to India to try again.

dosa_don wrote:
KK- if you do not have a f1 stamped, I guess you will not be able to travel abroad during school. Or, you will need to get it stamped when you leave the country.

While there is definitely some risk, I am contemplating getting it stamped as 1- I do want to travel abroad 2- I dont know of/heard of a single student who get his visa declined- delayed, yes but not declined. Again, this is all speculation.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
One more thing, which makes my F1 visa an OPEN AND SHUT case: I have to leave the US after my MBA. I cannot work in the US under any circumstances (my OPT and H1 are used up). I will be getting an official letter from my immigration attorney to this effect and maybe use it as my trump card during the visa interview. I will be applying to MNCs after my MBA and asking them for postings abroad for a year and then try to come back in on a fresh H1.

Dosa, If we do want to leave the US after the COS during the MBA, I think we might entail the same risk of getting the stamping rejected at the consulate..Just my thoughts...I guess there are risks involved in both routes
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I would recommend that everyone go 'home' and get their visa stamped. COS seems fine, but remember as bschoolers, you are gonna travel internationally quite a bit. The first time you leave the country, you will need the stamping anyway...Most RandomWalks and KWests are international....Do Ross guys have any immediate travel needs?

If you are going to a well known school, the risk of visa denial is going to be very very low..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I was leaning towards going back to India...But the demons in one's mind always make him look at the low % risk of rejection rather than the high% of approval. COS seems to be a "safe" way out, but as I was ruminating for the past hr, when we travel during our MBA and goto the US consulate for stamping, we still have to prove to the Visa officer two things during the interview: Your intent to return to the home country after graduation and established domicile /address in your home country. The COS doesnt take into account these factors. So, I guess COS is the right way to go if there is going to be no travel involved during the MBA,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
I don't see a need to travel outside the US during the MBA except for the following reasons..

1) International Exchange - I think most people oughta know if they will be participating in one before school starts
2) Leisure Travel - This is a good to have experience at a decent price. I'll be fine taking a trip to a place like Alaska/Hawaii if at all. It will be an awesome trip either way.
3) Internships/Projects - This is one place where the stamped VISA will definitely be handy and the only pressing reason for one to go back, other than wanting to spend quality time back home before school. I doubt that there are too many internships which make it mandatory for people to travel abroad. Most would be within the US and if you play your cards right you should be fine.

PS: At this point I am contemplating on getting through the 2 yr slot without getting the VISA "stamped"
However as I said, things might change once I am in school and I might end up going to India in the winter/spring break.

My 2 cents...

ujjib wrote:
...remember as bschoolers, you are gonna travel internationally quite a bit....
If you are going to a well known school, the risk of visa denial is going to be very very low..
Current Student
Send PM
Well I think in most schools there is some pre-MBA trip- M-Trek, KWEST, Random Walks etc. So you might need it for that. At most schools again, there is some project/course that you might be interested in- at Ross it is the MAP- an opportunity to consult for a global firm. At Duke, if you want to go on a GATE trip you will need a stamp.

I dont think you are lowering your risk per se by getting it stamped post-MBA but again it could be a better option. I might do the same but will most probably go to Mexico to get mine stamped.

kk.iyer wrote:
I don't see a need to travel outside the US during the MBA except for the following reasons..

1) International Exchange - I think most people oughta know if they will be participating in one before school starts
2) Leisure Travel - This is a good to have experience at a decent price. I'll be fine taking a trip to a place like Alaska/Hawaii if at all. It will be an awesome trip either way.
3) Internships/Projects - This is one place where the stamped VISA will definitely be handy and the only pressing reason for one to go back, other than wanting to spend quality time back home before school. I doubt that there are too many internships which make it mandatory for people to travel abroad. Most would be within the US and if you play your cards right you should be fine.

PS: At this point I am contemplating on getting through the 2 yr slot without getting the VISA "stamped"
However as I said, things might change once I am in school and I might end up going to India in the winter/spring break.

My 2 cents...

ujjib wrote:
...remember as bschoolers, you are gonna travel internationally quite a bit....
Current Student
Send PM
While I agree with the intent to return to your home country, I dont think you need to have a domicile established. Otherwise, how will you explain people getting their H1 extended beyond their first three years? They do go back to India to renew their H1.

arjun666 wrote:
I was leaning towards going back to India...But the demons in one's mind always make him look at the low % risk of rejection rather than the high% of approval. COS seems to be a "safe" way out, but as I was ruminating for the past hr, when we travel during our MBA and goto the US consulate for stamping, we still have to prove to the Visa officer two things during the interview: Your intent to return to the home country after graduation and established domicile /address in your home country. The COS doesnt take into account these factors. So, I guess COS is the right way to go if there is going to be no travel involved during the MBA,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dosa, You might want to check if third country visa stamping is allowed for F1 visas. I remember reading somewhere that for certain visas third country stamping is not allowed....Just a word of caution...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dosa_don wrote:
While I agree with the intent to return to your home country, I dont think you need to have a domicile established. Otherwise, how will you explain people getting their H1 extended beyond their first three years? They do go back to India to renew their H1.

arjun666 wrote:

The domicile criteria is another way of showing the visa officer that you have an established residence in India which you will be returning to. Basically, if you have any property in your name in India, that establishes your domicile. Usually for most students, it will be their parent's house (since their parents will be their sponsor). Jsut to strengthen our case that you are not a potential immigrant
H1 is a dual intent visa, so you can show intent to immigrate and still get it stamped.
Current Student
Send PM
Oh ok- I remember reading somewhere that you can but I guess not.

arjun666 wrote:
Dosa, You might want to check if third country visa stamping is allowed for F1 visas. I remember reading somewhere that for certain visas third country stamping is not allowed....Just a word of caution...
Current Student
Send PM
I think we should be able to get our visa stamped if we are in status at M or C:

https://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1260.html#TCN
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Anyone have any information about what happens in the situation mentioned below?

I am on an H1-B and will be out of the country for 2 weeks in June/July. I was planning on using my vacation time and coming back to work second week July. I assume, I can't get a H1B stamped and then come back to work for another month before quitting for b-school. And, I also probably can't apply for a COS before I leave the country, right?

So, are my only options:

1. Apply for COS after I get back from vacation? July 10th or so?
2. Leave the country again after I quit work in August to get the H1B stamped in India?

Which one of these 2 option do you think are better?

The worst part and the reason why I haven't gone to a lawyer yet and that I am currently waitlisted and don't even know if I will be going to school in 2008.

Additionally, do any of you know what the procedure is for renewing H1B. Mine is expiring this November and I haven't spoken to my emplyer about it since I am not sure if I am going to school or not. Anyone who has gotten their visa renewed after 3 years, could you let me know how long it takes etc.
Current Student
Send PM
I think I am in the same situation. Yes- basically you go on your vacation, come back, apply for COS and you can get your F1 stamped (if need to or if you want to) in India OR Mexico/Canada. I sent an email to David Ware (the guy who hosted the chat on visas on bweek) and asked him about this and he said we can go to M/C.

I plan to quit in early July and then travel to India- get my F1 stamped and then get back.

yellowjacket wrote:
Anyone have any information about what happens in the situation mentioned below?

I am on an H1-B and will be out of the country for 2 weeks in June/July. I was planning on using my vacation time and coming back to work second week July. I assume, I can't get a H1B stamped and then come back to work for another month before quitting for b-school. And, I also probably can't apply for a COS before I leave the country, right?

So, are my only options:

1. Apply for COS after I get back from vacation? July 10th or so?
2. Leave the country again after I quit work in August to get the H1B stamped in India?

Which one of these 2 option do you think are better?

The worst part and the reason why I haven't gone to a lawyer yet and that I am currently waitlisted and don't even know if I will be going to school in 2008.

Additionally, do any of you know what the procedure is for renewing H1B. Mine is expiring this November and I haven't spoken to my emplyer about it since I am not sure if I am going to school or not. Anyone who has gotten their visa renewed after 3 years, could you let me know how long it takes etc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think you should get to know the university rules beforehand. My university (Purdue) doesnt allow students on any pending petition status students to enroll in classes, so I have to goto India for my stamping. Pls check with your Uni. abt this. If they allow pending petition cases to enroll, then COS is the best option for you. If not, you have to go back to India again to get your F1 stamped.

Also,when will you know of your decision? Coz if you know it a few weeks before your originally planned trip to india, you can quit your job (you will lose a few weeks of pay), go to India and get your F1 stamped and join school directly instead of making 2 trips to India.

Also,since June, July and August are the busy months for F1 visas, you might want to check the interview waittimes at your US consulate, and schedule/plan accordingly.
Current Student
Send PM
Good points for sure. Based on the link that KK psoted, Duke does allow you to enroll. I believe it to be the same for a lot of schools with a few exceptions. Yes, I did think about getting my COS and then going to India. But I dont want to go to India to get it stamped- I believe the odds of you having some issues in India are lower than M/C (atleast thats what my company attorney told me when I was going for my H1 stamping).

arjun666 wrote:
I think you should get to know the university rules beforehand. My university (Purdue) doesnt allow students on any pending petition status students to enroll in classes, so I have to goto India for my stamping. Pls check with your Uni. abt this. If they allow pending petition cases to enroll, then COS is the best option for you. If not, you have to go back to India again to get your F1 stamped.

Also,when will you know of your decision? Coz if you know it a few weeks before your originally planned trip to india, you can quit your job (you will lose a few weeks of pay), go to India and get your F1 stamped and join school directly instead of making 2 trips to India.

Also,since June, July and August are the busy months for F1 visas, you might want to check the interview waittimes at your US consulate, and schedule/plan accordingly.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yellowjacket wrote:

When I renewed my H1, I filed for the extension a month before expiry and it got approved in 2 days after the notice date!!!!!No kidding!!!
Also, please check interview waittimes for H1 stamping. I got burned badly a few years back when i was careless and assumed that I would get the interview dates when I wanted, waited till the last minute and found out that there was a 4 month waittime
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6