GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 00:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas vs Anderson - Part time program

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 May 2015
Posts: 37
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.44
Haas vs Anderson - Part time program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 12:23
Hi Everyone, bb

I am currently in LA admitted to the two part time programs without scholarship. I want to pursue either leadership roles in startups or management consulting. I know this question is not posted for the first time on the internet but I am unable to find a straight answer. Plus, there are a few people who are trying to get the same questions answered, so would really appreciate responses.

Additional questions:
- Is it worth traveling every Saturday for the Haas program as I cannot relocate right away

- Do consulting firms hire from both university equally

- I have heard Haas is very tech focused, but in my experience of sitting through one lecture I met a lot of folks from non tech background. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your responses. Appreciate the time!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2017
Posts: 4
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 2.95
WE: Business Development (Advertising and PR)
Re: Haas vs Anderson - Part time program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 12:26
I’m in a similar boat, but reversed- and am also interested

Posted from my mobile device
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Nov 2012
Posts: 25
Concentration: Strategy, Statistics
Re: Haas vs Anderson - Part time program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 12:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
pradeepmaria wrote:
Hi Everyone, bb

I am currently in LA admitted to the two part time programs without scholarship. I want to pursue either leadership roles in startups or management consulting. I know this question is not posted for the first time on the internet but I am unable to find a straight answer. Plus, there are a few people who are trying to get the same questions answered, so would really appreciate responses.

Additional questions:
- Is it worth traveling every Saturday for the Haas program as I cannot relocate right away

- Do consulting firms hire from both university equally

- I have heard Haas is very tech focused, but in my experience of sitting through one lecture I met a lot of folks from non tech background. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your responses. Appreciate the time!


Hello there,

I was in the exact same situation (living and working in LA and admitted to Anderson and Haas). To me, I had already made up my mind before being accepted and I knew that Haas was the choice for me. It fit everything I was looking to get out of a program, I like their culture of the defining principles, and I want to be closer to the entrepreneurship and tech scenes. I am planning to relocate for the program, but that's as of more recent as the company I work for now is selling all the aspects of the business and I really had no choice. Before this happened, I was planning to commute from LA to the Bay area for the program and had already worked out all of the details.

I looked and it seemed like Southwest was the best option for flying (either from LAX or BUR to OAK). I was planning to fly up Friday nights and come back Saturday nights and find an Airbnb to stay in. The flight seemed to be under $100 round trip and the airbnb around $80 or so for a room.

I know the cost would be high for that, but honestly a program with the prestige of Haas would really make it worth it, at least from my side. That was my plan and happen to go into more details, but I am also someone that knew Haas was my top choice. I'm not sure what Anderson would have had to offer to make me stay there. I guess if my long term plan included staying in Los Angeles for my entire career, that may have swayed me, but I'm not convinced that Haas wouldn't have similar benefits anyway.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16839
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Haas vs Anderson - Part time program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 12:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Congratulations!!!

Haas FEMBA has many people traveling on the weekends to take the classes. It is also one of the most discussed PT programs on GMAT Club. You will probably have a few fellow classmates from LA.

As to PT programs, they are not as geared towards recruiting since they assume you have a job and PT students are not invited to the on campus recruiting events. The only school that seems inclusive is Kellogg.

Moreover, Haas discourages people from jumping from PT to FT program.

As to who is in the programs, naturally you will have quite a few tech folks from Google, FB, etc. but the class will be diverse enough.

I would recommend speaking to current FEMBA Haas and Anderson students to learn about recruiting options. My experience (a few wife’s friends went through the Anderson FEMBA and one of them kept their old job since he could not get any better options. The other started her own business. My feel was that Anderson FRMBA recruiting was weak.

Good luck with your decision!

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 26
Re: Haas vs Anderson - Part time program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 12:50
it may be an Apple VS Oranges question, but what would you say for

Wharton WEMBA vs HAAS ?

Cheers

bb wrote:
Congratulations!!!

Haas FEMBA has many people traveling on the weekends to take the classes. It is also one of the most discussed PT programs on GMAT Club. You will probably have a few fellow classmates from LA.

As to PT programs, they are not as geared towards recruiting since they assume you have a job and PT students are not invited to the on campus recruiting events. The only school that seems inclusive is Kellogg.

Moreover, Haas discourages people from jumping from PT to FT program.

As to who is in the programs, naturally you will have quite a few tech folks from Google, FB, etc. but the class will be diverse enough.

I would recommend speaking to current FEMBA Haas and Anderson students to learn about recruiting options. My experience (a few wife’s friends went through the Anderson FEMBA and one of them kept their old job since he could not get any better options. The other started her own business. My feel was that Anderson FRMBA recruiting was weak.

Good luck with your decision!

Posted from my mobile device
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16839
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Haas vs Anderson - Part time program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 12:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sorry, not familiar enough with Wharton WEMBA to post anything of value.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant
User avatar
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1396
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Haas vs Anderson - Part time program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 05:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
amsey1382 wrote:
it may be an Apple VS Oranges question, but what would you say for

Wharton WEMBA vs HAAS ?

Cheers

bb wrote:
Congratulations!!!

Haas FEMBA has many people traveling on the weekends to take the classes. It is also one of the most discussed PT programs on GMAT Club. You will probably have a few fellow classmates from LA.

As to PT programs, they are not as geared towards recruiting since they assume you have a job and PT students are not invited to the on campus recruiting events. The only school that seems inclusive is Kellogg.

Moreover, Haas discourages people from jumping from PT to FT program.

As to who is in the programs, naturally you will have quite a few tech folks from Google, FB, etc. but the class will be diverse enough.

I would recommend speaking to current FEMBA Haas and Anderson students to learn about recruiting options. My experience (a few wife’s friends went through the Anderson FEMBA and one of them kept their old job since he could not get any better options. The other started her own business. My feel was that Anderson FRMBA recruiting was weak.

Good luck with your decision!

Posted from my mobile device


As mentioned previously, visiting to get a feel for the community is really important. Talk to students and alums and try to see where you would thrive better. Wharton and Haas are different programs and some students select one for the fit alone, regardless of ranking or prestige. That said, Wharton is a better ranked program and the brand name will probably carry you further in your career. Haas has a bit more of a well developed network in the SF area since it has been there longer, but on the flip side Wharton has that in NYC. If you get into both, strongly consider Wharton but certainly do your research. I did my FT MBA at Wharton and undergrad BS in management from MIT Sloan (as context).

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 May 2015
Posts: 37
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.44
Re: Haas vs Anderson - Part time program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 17:03
Thanks you bb , laca2021 , PersonalMBACoach for the valuable input.

For those who are will be traveling from LA, please feel free to join this linkedin group to discuss travel options or form groups.

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12111484
Re: Haas vs Anderson - Part time program   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2018, 17:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Haas vs Anderson - Part time program

  new topic post reply Update application status  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.