It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 08:18

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Olin (St. Louis) R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Fuqua R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Happygo, a car rental company, lowered its prices dramatically gaining

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2426 [2], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Happygo, a car rental company, lowered its prices dramatically gaining [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 04:07
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (01:25) correct 24% (01:30) wrong based on 214 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Happygo, a car rental company, lowered its prices dramatically gaining many more customers than it once had. Consequently, the railway companies have reported a decrease of roughly 30% in the number of commuters traveling on their intercity routes. However, the urban bus companies claim that the numbers of commuters on their lines fluctuate but maintain an average that has not changed for the better or for the worse since Happygo made its price changes. It seems quite clear that __________.

Which of the following best completes the passage below?

A) even at competitive prices, some people prefer buses over rented cars for travelling within cities
B) commuters using public transportation, such as buses, are far more punctual, on average, when compared to those using private vehicles
C) to compensate for the market shift created by Happygo's strategy, the urban bus companies lowered their prices as well.
D) public transportation, whether by bus or by train, is always a compromise for commuters
E) Happygo's changes have affected the railway companies' revenues due to the latter's relatively low advertising budget
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2426 [2], given: 178

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

Re: Happygo, a car rental company, lowered its prices dramatically gaining [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 05:52
I hesitate between A and D.

A sounds very good because even the price of rental goes down, the people using buses are not changed. So if the price is competitive, people will use buses more than cars.

For D, I do not like the word "always"
how to eliminate D?

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [1], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Happygo, a car rental company, lowered its prices dramatically gaining [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 06:49
This post received
KUDOS
Happygo, a car rental company, lowered its prices dramatically gaining many more customers than it once had. Consequently, the railway companies have reported a decrease of roughly 30% in the number of commuters traveling on their intercity routes. However, the urban bus companies claim that the numbers of commuters on their lines fluctuate but maintain an average that has not changed for the better or for the worse since Happygo made its price changes. It seems quite clear that __________.

A) even at competitive prices, some people prefer buses over rented cars for travelling within cities
This gives a reason for unchanged bus users. This ones looking good.

B) commuters using public transportation, such as buses, are far more punctual, on average, when compared to those using private vehicles
We are not concerned about the punctuality of commuters here. OFS

C) to compensate for the market shift created by Happygo's strategy, the urban bus companies lowered their prices as well.
If this were true,then market share of buses would have increased. Nothing is given of that sort.

D) public transportation, whether by bus or by train, is always a compromise for commuters
If true, it should have affected both. But it is affecting only trains.

E) Happygo's changes have affected the railway companies' revenues due to the latter's relatively low advertising budget
We are not concerned about budget.OFS

Option A.
Harley1980 Am I thinking correctly?

Kudos [?]: 87 [1], given: 20

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 908 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 07:04
applebus wrote:

A sounds very good because even the price of rental goes down, the people using buses are not changed. So if the price is competitive, people will use buses more than cars.

how to eliminate D?

D says "public transportation, whether by bus or by train, is always a compromise for commuters"
This only inform us against public transportation including both bus and train which cannot be inferred from the passage above.
Bus suffered no damage whereas train suffered significant losses.
Nowhere did he mention that both are troublesome for commuters.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 908 [0], given: 75

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 908 [1], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Happygo, a car rental company, lowered its prices dramatically gaining [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 07:15
This post received
KUDOS
Happygo, a car rental company, lowered its prices + gaining many customers.
Consequently, the railway companies have reported a decrease of roughly 30% in the number of commuters
However, the urban bus companies claim to maintain an average
It seems quite clear that __________.

Complete the argument question _Inference question

(Some here makes this option must be true based on the argument. Correct answer)
(Punctuality is in individual nature and is OFS here)
(this cannot be said since buses claim that their no of customers fluctuated but maintained average i.e., sometimes it was low and sometimes it was high. if they would have lowered their prices then it would have either maintained constant or could have increased but that is no so. This option cannot be inferred from the argument.)
(D says "public transportation, whether by bus or by train, is always a compromise for commuters"
This only inform us against public transportation including both bus and train which cannot be inferred from the passage above.
Bus suffered no damage whereas train suffered significant losses.
Nowhere did he mention that both are troublesome for commuters.)

(We cannot say this as even if two changes happened in the same time period subsequently earlier of them need not be the cause of the other.)
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Someone help me I always realise the correct reason only after failure :cry:

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 908 [1], given: 75

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2426 [0], given: 178

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 11:21
applebus wrote:

how to eliminate D?

Hello applebus

I think that D is actually weakener so this phrase can not complete the argument because if bus and train is compromiss (this is negative as I understand it) then this situation should lead to the lowering of number of commuters in buses.

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 11:27
anudeep133 wrote:

This gives a reason for unchanged bus users. This ones looking good.

We are not concerned about the punctuality of commuters here. OFS

If this were true,then market share of buses would have increased. Nothing is given of that sort.

If true, it should have affected both. But it is affecting only trains.

We are not concerned about budget.OFS

Option A.
Harley1980 Am I thinking correctly?

Hello anudeep133
I agree with you about A
About D you formulate it in unusual way because I get used to analyze argument and then check the answer if it can be true and you make it reverse way: take answer D as correct and check the argument. This is unusual approach but as I see it works too )

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 506

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 05:58
I disagree with the OA i.e A. Nowhere is it given the bus and rental cars have competetive prices. Experts-please comment.

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 506

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 146

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 21:04
Harley1980 wrote:

Hi,
Can u tell me how the fluctuation happens- if the prices are competitive, some people who normally travel by bus switch to cars, so, the number of passengers went down. Now, I wonder how the number of passengers actually increase. People who travel by cars wont switch to travel by buses. Similarly,people who travel by railways, can jump to travel by car for a comfort purpose, but what's the point to switch to buses.
So, as option A states- even at competitive prices, some people prefer buses over rented cars for travelling within cities. Here the number of people who are travelling by buses, is the same people (a little reduction in number as some people switch to cars), who were travelling earlier before the Happygo made its price change. So, how can fluctuation is justfied, to keep the average is maintained.

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 21:05
Hi,
Can u tell me how the fluctuation happens- if the prices are competitive, some people who normally travel by bus switch to cars, so, the number of passengers went down. Now, I wonder how the number of passengers actually increase. People who travel by cars wont switch to travel by buses. Similarly,people who travel by railways, can jump to travel by car for a comfort purpose, but what's the point to switch to buses.
So, as option A states- even at competitive prices, some people prefer buses over rented cars for travelling within cities. Here the number of people who are travelling by buses, is the same people (a little reduction in number as some people switch to cars), who were travelling earlier before the Happygo made its price change. So, how can fluctuation is justfied, to keep the average is maintained.

Re: Happygo, a car rental company, lowered its prices dramatically gaining   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2017, 21:05

Happygo, a car rental company, lowered its prices dramatically gaining

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap