Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
ai115 wrote:
Did anyone receive news about being accepted to the program already? I heard from a friend that good news is started to be given out, just curious...

dude, no one is going to get accepted to round 1 at HBS until noon New York time, on December 12th and you will find out by consulting your applyyourself software for a new message, which will be a ding, an admit, or WL--someone may contact you shortly after that with congrats, etc.
That has been past practice (since online apps) and I fully expect that to be the practice this year. HBS does not call kids in advance.
They would cert not admit kids before entire interview cohort has been interviewed which has not happened yet (by a longshot).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
any thoughts on the post-interview reflection for those of us interviewing? They keep stressing how informal it is, etc, but I don't really know how to approach. It doesn't seem like telling a story like regular essays, so is it just "I thought my interview went well/not well for the following reasons...." (obviously not that exact wording but seems a little rigid)
sssdddhhh wrote:
any thoughts on the post-interview reflection for those of us interviewing? They keep stressing how informal it is, etc, but I don't really know how to approach. It doesn't seem like telling a story like regular essays, so is it just "I thought my interview went well/not well for the following reasons...." (obviously not that exact wording but seems a little rigid)

The prompt is YOU JUST HAD YOUR HBS INTERVIEW, HOW WELL DID WE GET TO KNOW YOU? or sumpthing real close to that, and the answer is, "Pretty well, here's what you got to know, BUT here are some things I'd like to point out, expand, all color to, etc. .." Throw in a thank you someplace, and done. I dont think this exercise counts a whole lot to be honest, based on my exp. w. summer round doing the same drill (2+2) and looking over some answers already done by kids for Round 1, and just reading between the lines of Dee Leopolds messaging on this part of the app.
hbsguru wrote:

How Not To Blow Your HBS Interveiw, worthwhile article in Poets and Quants

https://poetsandquants.com/2012/10/17/ho ... terview-2/

as to who is conducting HBS interviews in various locales. seems like Laura M. and Hilary S. are back in Menlo Park.
sk
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q164 V165
GPA: 3.74
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
hbsguru wrote:
hbsguru wrote:

as to who is conducting HBS interviews in various locales. seems like Laura M. and Hilary S. are back in Menlo Park.
sk

Is that a good thing?
daltcap wrote:
hbsguru wrote:
hbsguru wrote:

sk

Is that a good thing?

YES, the whole danger in an HBS interview is blowing it by getting lost or rattled or giving canned anwswers. the chances of that go up if you get a less seasoned interviewer, esp. one who asks atypical and oddball questions, which more often happens in non-campus locations. Both Laura and Hilary have done lots of intervies, ask pretty straight and resume/leadership based questions, and have a large personal data base of exp. by which to judge your responses. SO it becomes a more stable and less "one-off" experience. On balance are good things. You can still screw up, but that will likely be your fault. Not a situation where some newbie started off the interview by saying, "Here's a piece of paper, write down 3 things that make you tick, 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses. " Variants of those "stress" type deals have happened, altho infrequently, and they seem to me to be unfair vs. guy in next room who is asked, "Walk me thru your resume . . . "
Manager
Manager
Send PM
daltcap wrote:
hbsguru wrote:
hbsguru wrote:

sk

Is that a good thing?

How does one interpret anything from the interview? At least in my experience (on campus), it was relatively straightforward (no curveballs), and the interviewers were SUPER nice. Seems like she was able to get through all the questions and asked me in the end whether I had any expected questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.75
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
For those of you applying in Round 2, how is the essay writing going? Are there any fellow M/B/B-ers out there struggling with the essay questions and how to differentiate ourselves from the rest of the pack?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Just finished my interview and it went well! I am in finance and had some calls made to admissions in advance so it was much more of a formality I think. I also prepared a lot (hired several consultants and got pretty much all the questions before) Fingers crossed!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
pacificislander wrote:
Just finished my interview and it went well! I am in finance and had some calls made to admissions in advance so it was much more of a formality I think. I also prepared a lot (hired several consultants and got pretty much all the questions before) Fingers crossed!

Great! Good luck...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
congrats on a good interview. when you say it was just a formality what do you mean? do u think that connections and calls help that much? how do y'all know when to make calls or risk annoying the adcom?
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
bestmidwest wrote:
congrats on a good interview. when you say it was just a formality what do you mean? do u think that connections and calls help that much? how do y'all know when to make calls or risk annoying the adcom?

I would highly recommend not making calls or having any made on your behalf.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
emont wrote:
bestmidwest wrote:

Yep ditto. Although maybe a very short email showing support could sometimes be good (and maybe not so much for Harvard, other schools might like that more)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
emont wrote:
bestmidwest wrote:

Yep ditto. Although maybe a very short email showing support could sometimes be good (and maybe not so much for Harvard, other schools might like that more)

HBS does accept letters of support, but I was told that it should be faxed, mailed, or dropped off with admissions in person. It needs to also clearly state in the title something to the effect of "Letter of support for <your full name>" to ensure it makes it in with your file.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Most of the interviews are probably done by now. Anyone aware of how the Adcom filters after this phase? How do they weed out the 40% of the people from the interviewee group that eventually don't make it? Has to be more than just the interview performance.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
KillerApp wrote:
Most of the interviews are probably done by now. Anyone aware of how the Adcom filters after this phase? How do they weed out the 40% of the people from the interviewee group that eventually don't make it? Has to be more than just the interview performance.

More about creating a class identity than anything else. I'm sure some people didn't perform well during the interview and will get cut, the rest will just be about them liking your profile in terms of what it contributes to the class. Just need a little luck at this point.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
Would love to hear from current students about the financial aid process at HBS. I know they say about 50% of people receive on avg 29,000/yr, but it is hard to estimate where one falls on that scale. Was your experience that this was spread across most candidates or that a select few got a huge portion of aid?

My wife was not working the past couple years while getting her MHSA. I have been working a roughly avg engineering salary out of school and will have worked just shy of ~3 years. We saved somewhere in the range of 20% of my salary during that time period (would have been higher if not for a wedding!) She is graduating with her own debt, as well. Does it make sense to move some of that cash savings towards paying down her loan before applying for aid at HBS to lower our current assets? Or will it be viewed the same in terms of net assets from the financial aid people?

Thanks for the insights!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28  ...  64   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts