Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 06:29 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: have Ive been studying for too long? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi iliavko,

With a Q44, it sounds like you're treating the Quant section of the GMAT as if it were a 'math test' - and it's really NOT that (at least not in the way that you're probably used to thinking about these things). The GMAT is really a big critical thinking test. In the Quant section, you'll do lots of little calculations throughout the section, but those 37 Quant questions aren't really there to test you on your basic math skills. As such, you'll find that there is usually more than one way to answer the questions that you face. If you only know one way though (the 'math' way), then you'll almost certainly run into a limit in terms of how high you can score.

1) What is your exact Test Date?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
You see I am a very specific case lol..

Actually I am the exact opposite of a math person, I have no math background what so ever, that's why I decided to take GMAT, to show the adcom that I have some math skills. So when I started studying I doubt I'd get Q25. Really, I was that bad at math. So literally everything I know about math is GMAT. I don't know statistics or physics or computing etc.

The deadlines are approaching so I must schedule it for the next 2 weeks max, but I am thinking of just scheduling it in 3 days or so, stop studying, and do it because I am really feeling that the last minute rush is affecting me. Like I am missing stupid questions, it really seems I am regressing. My knowledge is like an umbrella full of holes and the more holes I discover the more anxious I get.

Do you think that stopping for a couple of days and then doing the exam could be beneficial? It could give my brain the time to relax and get to the exam date on peak performance. What is your opinion?

Thank you!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi iliavko,

As a general rule, it's often beneficial to go into Test Day well-rested, so it's typically a good idea not to do too much work in the last day or two before your Exam. Whether applying that advice starting today would be a good idea or not depends a great deal on your specific skills (and goals). I think that you could potentially make some improvements over the next couple of weeks, but I don't know you well enough to make that assessment.

1) Have you taken any CATs since your Official GMAT? If you have, then how did you score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi Rich!

I will just schedule it in 1 week and see what happens. Sick and tiered of thinking of this damn exam for the past half a year. Enough is enough lol.

I didn't do any CATs, I'm not a big fan of doing exam sims, you are not learning anything new and I already have a good picture of my weak areas anyways, I prefer to detect my weak points by doing dozens of different questions from different sources and I always dig some deficiencies. CATs are good to train stress resistance and all that, but then again, on the exam I am 100% calm and I manage time quite well.

About studying vs resting on the last days maybe it's the best to just go over my error log?

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 630 Q41 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
I know how you feel. I have been studying since the beginning of this year as well. No idea if I am making progress right now because I haven't taken a real CAT in about a month.

I think it's true that you can only accomplish so much with self-study. At this point you would probably have to sign up for an online class or get private tutoring.

If you are running out of time... sign up for the exam and take it. There is no need to start anything "new" right now. Re-evaluate once you have taken the exam.
There really is such thing as "GMAT burnout" .... we need to get this thing over with unless you are having fun and want to do it for the rest of your life.
I know I don't. I want to get to a point where I can finally throw my books in the trash can.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot