Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [10]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [5]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 880 [4]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: He encouraged massive strides in equality, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. [#permalink]
Kudos
benyahalom wrote:
Hey guys,
can anyone please help me with this question,
i found it in the gmatclub grammar book,

He encouraged massive strides in equality, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who was a champion in proclaiming equal rights for all people.
a) He encouraged massive strides in equality, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who was a champion in proclaiming equal rights for all people.
b) Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. encouraged massive strides in equality, who was a champion in proclaiming equal rights for all people.
c) Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who was a champion in proclaiming equal rights for all people, encouraging massive strides in equality.
d) Being a champion in proclaiming equal rights for all people, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. encouraged massive strides in equality.
e) Encouraging massive strides in equality, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who was a champion in proclaiming equal rights for all people.

I don't understand how the modifier "encouraging" is correct in this question, shouldn't it be encouraged?
I chose D, i would like to know why it is incorrect, i know that an answer which contains "being" is wrong 90% of the time in GMAT SC, but here i dont understand why, may someone explain when it is right to use being?
thank you so much :D

The source is Practice test 3 of GMAT Club grammar book (Q# 30). OA is D and which I think is the best out of five.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [1]
Re: He encouraged massive strides in equality, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
TirthankarP wrote:
The source is Practice test 3 of GMAT Club grammar book (Q# 30). OA is D and which I think is the best out of five.

Holy Toledo! I would bet everything I own that (D) would never ever be the correct answer on a real GMAT SC problem. Part of the problem is the superfluous word "being" at the beginning. If we totally dropped that, then (D) would be a correct and elegant sentence:
A champion in proclaiming equal rights for all people, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. encouraged massive strides in equality.
Now that's a sentence I could imagine serving as a correct answer on the GMAT SC.
This version uses a sophisticated grammatical construction known as an appositive phrase. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... e-phrases/

Let me know if anyone has any questions on this.
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Thank you guys very much for responding :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
TirthankarP wrote:

Holy Toledo! I would bet everything I own that (D) would never ever be the correct answer on a real GMAT SC problem. Part of the problem is the superfluous word "being" at the beginning. If we totally dropped that, then (D) would be a correct and elegant sentence:
A champion in proclaiming equal rights for all people, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. encouraged massive strides in equality.
Now that's a sentence I could imagine serving as a correct answer on the GMAT SC.
This version uses a sophisticated grammatical construction known as an appositive phrase. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... e-phrases/

Let me know if anyone has any questions on this.

Hey,
thank you very much for your response,
I read your article and it was very helpful, but still i don't understand what the problem with Being in answer D?
can you elaborate about it more? when is it right and wrong to use being in Gmat SC?
thanks
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [0]
Expert Reply
benyahalom wrote:
Hey,
thank you very much for your response,
I read your article and it was very helpful, but still i don't understand what the problem with Being in answer D?
can you elaborate about it more? when is it right and wrong to use being in Gmat SC?
thanks

Dear benyahalom,
As a general rule, the word "being" is almost always the kiss of death on a GMAT SC question. There are thousands of ways to toss in an extra "being" that simply does not need to be there ---- as in this particular sentence. I would say, well over 95% of the time the word "being" appears in the OG, it is plain wrong. There are some rare exception cases in which "being" could be correct, but those are very much in the minority.

Does this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
I dont understand the meaning of the sentence. What is it trying to tell
esp this phrase " encouraged massive strides in equality" shouldnt it be "took(or some other word) massive strides in equality"
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [0]
Expert Reply
Nilabh_s wrote:
I dont understand the meaning of the sentence. What is it trying to tell
esp this phrase "encouraged massive strides in equality" shouldnt it be "took(or some other word) massive strides in equality"

Dear Nilabh_s,
I'm happy to help with this. :-)

The GMAT sometimes will employ some metaphorical language. Here, we are not discussing literal "strides" --- physical steps that someone takes by moving their legs. These are metaphorical "strides" --- progress of a philosophical or moral kind. I don't know how much you know about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929 - 1968) --- many American regard him as a moral exemplar who raised the entire country to a higher level of ethical awareness. He is someone who already was morally "ahead", and he was encouraging others --- really most of the United States --- to catch up with him, to take "strides" so that we would be operating at that same level of consciousness. He already held and advocated a profound standard of equality, and he encouraged the rest of the country to take massive strides so we would arrive at this same deep understanding. Thus, he "encouraged massive strides in equality" --- he was the one advocating the progress, the strides, and other people actually had to take those strides.

If you are unfamiliar with Dr. King, I highly recommend finding out more about him. The GMAT doesn't demand a lot of outside knowledge, but it does demand at least a little understanding of cultural points of reference with which most GMAT takers would be deeply familiar. Knowing the basic story of Dr. King is one such point of reference.

Does all this make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
so, what is the correct answer?

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts