Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: HELP! 700 GMAT Score. Should I retake? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Juan,

At this stage, you should focus on your apps. If your grades are solid from a reputed university, your academic profile is in pretty good shape! South Americans tend to have lower GMAT scores on average and adcoms understand that standardized tests don't play a prominent role in your education system. You've crossed a major hurdle by landing a score that starts with a "7". Would a higher score help? Of course. But there are opportunity costs.

At first glance, it seems your score is good enough. But that's based on high level demographics. I'd have to know a bit more about your profile, goals, etc.

But congrats on a great GMAT score!

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.45
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
HELP! 700 GMAT Score. Should I retake? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Juan,

It totally depends on what school you are targeting. And since you're thinking of the top 10, your GMAT score is just slightly below average but still is very good though, (which usually also means that it doesn't hurt to give it another try). However, you don't have that luxury of time as you are most likely applying during R2 which has deadlines at approximately 1st week of January across most schools. There isn't probably that much time to study really hard (To ensure an improvement in the score), take the exam, and write great essays. Personally, I spent my last a few weeks before the deadline studying very hard only to end up getting a similar score. Gladly, I had started really early with the essays, giving me a very good float time to take another test without sacrificing my application. Still, if I could go back in time, I probably wouldn't retake the exam. My suggestion if I were you is to put all my best on the application and what I can do in terms of extracurricular activities. Don't forget to spread your choices among the top 20 list even if you are applying to top 10s
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
CriticalSquare wrote:
Hi Juan,

At this stage, you should focus on your apps. If your grades are solid from a reputed university, your academic profile is in pretty good shape! South Americans tend to have lower GMAT scores on average and adcoms understand that standardized tests don't play a prominent role in your education system. You've crossed a major hurdle by landing a score that starts with a "7". Would a higher score help? Of course. But there are opportunity costs.

At first glance, it seems your score is good enough. But that's based on high level demographics. I'd have to know a bit more about your profile, goals, etc.

Bhavik

I'm gonna go with what Bhavik wrote here...
But I also wanted to add a few questions that might change the way you approach things:
1-3. Is it better for you to apply this year or next from a personal perspective? Professional? Strategic?
4. If you DID decide to retake, what would you evaluate as your chances to do better? How easy or hard would it be? How high could you go?
5. If you don't apply this year, what else would you do? How would your career progress?

I'd take at least all of these things into consideration before taking a final decision,

Best,
JF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
CriticalSquare wrote:
Hi Juan,

Bhavik

But I also wanted to add a few questions that might change the way you approach things:
1-3. Is it better for you to apply this year or next from a personal perspective? Professional? Strategic?
4. If you DID decide to retake, what would you evaluate as your chances to do better? How easy or hard would it be? How high could you go?
5. If you don't apply this year, what else would you do? How would your career progress?

I'd take at least all of these things into consideration before taking a final decision,

Best,
JF

Thank you JF, I am a bit self conscious on already starting it at 29, so I wouldn't wait another year.

On the other hand, if I stayed in my current job I would get a nice promotion, but I feel it is best to start the MBA ASAP.

I think I could Easily Score a 740 if I got the same Verbal result of the Prep Tests, but I would have to work on it.

What do you think now?
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
juansalas233 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
CriticalSquare wrote:
Hi Juan,

Bhavik

Best,
JF

Thank you JF, I am a bit self conscious on already starting it at 29, so I wouldn't wait another year.

On the other hand, if I stayed in my current job I would get a nice promotion, but I feel it is best to start the MBA ASAP.

I think I could Easily Score a 740 if I got the same Verbal result of the Prep Tests, but I would have to work on it.

What do you think now?

Well, if speed is your priority then do not retake! A 700 is a good enough score to get you into any school. It may be lower than the average of some schools (meaning things are harder), but if you want to make it in this year, you have to start applying NOW. And by NOW, I mean like YESTERDAY!
:)

And you might wanna consider getting some help.

All the best,
Jon
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Agree that it depends on where you are applying and where you are in the application cycle. In most cases I suggest people retake the GMAT if they think that will keep them out of their dream school. Worst case scenario you score the same or worse and then you don't submit the scores and are out a few dozen hours of prep. Best case scenario you increase your score by thirty to forty points and not only have a really good case for admission, but might even open up some scholarship opportunities. I know it is rough to have to prep for the test again, but think it is worth a shot. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot