Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 20:35 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4656 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Help. guessing 10 questions on the GMAT cat. [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
Khimish wrote:
I ran out of time in my second GMAT CAT. 3 mins to go and still 10 questions to go. This happened in both quant and verbal. I got the rest 10 questions wrong even though i quickly answered them all before time was up. Please what do I do?
How many tests have you taken, and has this happened before?

Most people pace themselves so that they don't run out of time towards the end. Have you also thought about your timing strategy?

Second CAT. The first was much worse. Really ugly.
What is timing strategy?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Khimish,

Many Test Takers have pacing issues at some point during your studies, so you're not alone. It's important to understand that pacing issues do NOT exist on their own though - they're the results of OTHER problems. In real basic terms, "your way" of approaching questions in each section was frequently the 'long way' to go about answering each question. You'll need to either speed up the approaches that you're using OR learn faster/easier approaches.

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What materials have you been using?
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

1) 4 months
2)Manhattan GMAT guides
Official guide 13
Kaplan 2012
3) 720 is my goal. I know will get it. don't argue with me.
4) April 23 is d day.

Thank you
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4656 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Khimish wrote:
Second CAT. The first was much worse. Really ugly.
640 with 10 mistakes at the end in both verbal and quant is very good for someone taking his or her second CAT. There's obviously a lot of (potential) upside here, but you might want to (a) get faster and (b) pace yourself.

(a) Make drills out of your practice material and keep trying to hit the average times you think work well for you. For example, if you practice SC with a target average time of 60-70 seconds, you're training yourself to respond that quickly on the exam as well. Think of this as you trying to nip the problem in the bud.

(b) Think about how much time you want to give each "block" of questions. You'll need to decide how frequently you want to check the time (I recommend after every 10 questions). Check how much of a "buffer" you have (or, alternatively, how much time you need to regain by guessing in the next "block"). This is more about discipline and trying to avoid a big drop in score caused by time pressure.

You seem to be getting better, so that's a promising sign. Get the exam pack 1 for more tests (exam pack 2 is also coming out soon) if you're out of GMATPrep practice tests.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3804 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Khimish wrote:
I ran out of time in my second GMAT CAT. 3 mins to go and still 10 questions to go. This happened in both quant and verbal. I got the rest 10 questions wrong even though i quickly answered them all before time was up. Please what do I do? I know it affected my score badly. my score was a 640. I seek your advice and tips.

Hi Khimish,

I am curious to know how many questions were right before the last 10 questions. I never thought one can get 640 in a situation like yours. Could you please help me with the result data? It will make few facts clear about the test. I know its an adaptive test but knowing the order of the mistakes does help.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Khimish,

With your current Test Date, you have a little less than 6 weeks of study time remaining, which is a reasonsable amount of time. You could absolutely hit your score goal on Test Day, but you're going to have to make some significant improvements to how you 'see' (and respond to) this Test. From what you describe, your studies have been 'book heavy'; many Test Takers who take a book-heavy approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you might find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book resources. You'll also likely find it worthwhile to take FULL-LENGTH CATs on a regular basis (1 CAT per week, give or take).

1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this CAT?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HKD1710 wrote:
Khimish wrote:
I ran out of time in my second GMAT CAT. 3 mins to go and still 10 questions to go. This happened in both quant and verbal. I got the rest 10 questions wrong even though i quickly answered them all before time was up. Please what do I do? I know it affected my score badly. my score was a 640. I seek your advice and tips.

Hi Khimish,

I am curious to know how many questions were right before the last 10 questions. I never thought one can get 640 in a situation like yours. Could you please help me with the result data? It will make few facts clear about the test. I know its an adaptive test but knowing the order of the mistakes does help.

Thanks.

3 or four were wrong in verbal. about 5 in quant.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Khimish,

With your current Test Date, you have a little less than 6 weeks of study time remaining, which is a reasonsable amount of time. You could absolutely hit your score goal on Test Day, but you're going to have to make some significant improvements to how you 'see' (and respond to) this Test. From what you describe, your studies have been 'book heavy'; many Test Takers who take a book-heavy approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you might find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book resources. You'll also likely find it worthwhile to take FULL-LENGTH CATs on a regular basis (1 CAT per week, give or take).

1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this CAT?

Rich

Dont know what is "scaled score".
The result said. YOUR GMAT TOTAL SCORE IS 640. BETTER THAN 73% OF TEST TAKERS IN THE PAST 3 YEARS. QUANT.44 VERBAL.34
please wich of them is scaled score?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Khimish,

The Scaled Scores are the ones that you listed in your last message (Q44, V34). Those numbers tend to point out some things about your performance. You've already defined your pacing issue, and having to guess on so many questions at the end of each section would almost certainly hurt your scores, but those numbers still hint at some other issues. The Q44 means that you're really good on the 'math questions' that you faced, but you're missing out on lots of 'strategy-based' points; this would confirm your pacing issues too - if you approach most of the prompts with longer 'math' approaches, then you'd miss out on certain points AND take too long to answer questions (which would then lead to the pacing issue). The V34 likely means that you have 1 'weaker' category among the 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR). You'll likely have a better chance at fixing all of these issues if you invest in some new, non-book resources and learn/practice some new Tactics.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm excited to learn new tactics. but what are they?
Score was lowest in CR. I learnt prethink during my one month prep class. I apply poe too. but got about 60% in the CR section.
What are these strategies?
And how might I begin to "see" the exam?
Are they new to what I already know?
Do u have these new strategies in your website..
or another place I can get them?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Khimish,

With your score goal, you're going to have to improve in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections, so while you've self-assessed that CR is an area that you need to work on, you will likely have to work on the Verbal section as a whole. Based on everything that you’ve described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months, so the time commitment might mesh well with the time that you have remaining. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot