Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: GM / Strategy
Schools:Yale SOM '12
Send PM
Re: Help me solve my dilemma... [#permalink]
Kudos
If you would like to end up in Boston area after graduation, you may be better off at Northeastern than Notre Dame. As a university, Northeastern does have a great regional reputation, although I'm not familiar with placements coming out of the MBA program. I would consider most of the schools outside the top 20 to be somewhat regional, so if you don't want to live in the South, Wake Forest may be a bad move. However, in full disclosure I was in a similar situation last year, turned down a lower tier school, applied to a bunch of top tier schools this year, and it worked out. You're young enough that another year of work experience will help more than it will hurt, and if I were you, I'd do some serious application research at schools in the range of Cornell/Darden/Duke/UNC and apply to them next year plus a couple safety schools in the northeast (like Northeastern/Boston College). Good luck.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Kudos
If you are able to get into UNC or as adude did, Yale, I would say that might be worth. My original point was that at a certain level schools become more regional in nature and therefore don't have a strong national reconition and will rely local brand.

Here's an example, although UCI is ranked #36 and Pepperdine is even lower, both arguably will have stronger brand and recruitment in So.Cal than UNC or Tepper, and definitely stronger than ND, WF, NE. That will probably be the same with the other schools where northeast favors NE, midwest favors ND and southeast favors UNC. If you were in the top tier schools such as H/S, the brand pretty much dominate anywhere around the world.

I hope this helps, I may still lean toward NE over the other schools since going 1 year earlier and getting 1 year post-MBA experience would probably make you more competitive for some early career jobs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thanks again for both of your responses.

I had assumed that NC's career options (even locally) would be better than those of Northeastern's -- NC has some big companies in all different sectors (Banking - Bank of America, Retail - Lowes, Energy - Duke Energy) whereas Northeastern is a regional program as well but has to deal with the powerhouses of MIT, Harvard and to a much lesser extent, BU and BC.

Obviously I'm still open to both, but I was leaning towards waiting and trying for UNC-Chapel Hill and to a lesser extent Wake Forrest or ND. I continue to question and ask for your guidance/opinions due to your perceived belief that they're all relatively the same. I understand none of them are top 10, but I figured a top 20 would have far better potential outcomes over the rest, and I was sure a top 40 would be better than a 50 which is better than a 60, etc. etc. etc.

Just trying to wrap my head around this -- being regional is fine (I'm more partial to the NC area to be honest) but I figured that even my regional opportunities would be better served by UNC-Chapel Hill/WF versus Northeastern University.

Again -- I thank you both for your help and if you're willing to contribute anymore insightful comments, I eagerly anticipate them.

Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: GM / Strategy
Schools:Yale SOM '12
Send PM
Kudos
If you're willing to relocate after graduation, I think that changes things a bit. I'm looking in the US News graduate schools (2010 edition), and they're showing an average starting salary of $72k for Northeastern and $95.5k for UNC-KF. I don't think there's any question that if you are able to gain admission to UNC-KF, you'll have better career options than Northeastern. Notre Dame looks to be similar. The problem with both of them is that the average GMAT scores are well above your 640 (although they should definitely be considered possible with decent essays). Have you considered bigger state schools like Penn State, Michigan State, or UIUC? They all have starting salaries in the $100k range, with average GMAT scores around 640-650.

Looking at the stats, I seriously don't think Wake Forest would do anything for you that Northeastern couldn't, unless you're dead set on becoming a Demon Deacon for some reason... If you turn down Northeastern, I don't know that I would only apply to UNC, ND, and WF next year. You'll have several months to put your options together and get your story straight. Then apply to 1 or 2 reach's with GMAT's around 670, 2 or 3 targets around 640, and then 1 or 2 safety's in the low 600's - all in the first application round if you can (imo, it's the easiest to get in). If you're gonna do it, the best advice I can give you is to purchase a book on MBA admissions techniques, and then follow it as you apply.
GMAT Club Bot