GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2019, 15:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

High rise downtown hotels may present greater opportunities to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
High rise downtown hotels may present greater opportunities to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2019, 22:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (01:46) correct 70% (01:31) wrong based on 387 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

High rise downtown hotels may present greater opportunities to experience an urban lifestyle, but financial considerations reveal that such hotel rooms cost twice as much as renting rooms in suburban hotels.

A) such hotel rooms cost twice as much as renting rooms in suburban hotels
B) rooms in such hotels cost twice as much to rent as rooms in suburban hotels do
C) renting rooms in such hotels costs twice as much as renting rooms in suburban hotels
D) renting rooms in such hotels costs twice as much as it does for rooms in suburban hotels
E) to rent rooms in such hotels costs twice as much as for rooms in suburban hotels

B
Re: High rise downtown hotels may present greater opportunities to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2019, 17:19
A. Incorrect. Does not compare cost of renting rooms in high rise hotels to the cost of renting a room in a suburban hotel.
B. Correct.
C. Incorrect. would have to be "to rent"
D. Incorrect. Same issue as C.
E. Incorrect. No parallel structure used in comparing rents of rooms.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business, Economics
GPA: 3
WE: Law (Telecommunications)
Re: High rise downtown hotels may present greater opportunities to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2019, 03:16
can someone care to explain why C is wrong ?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business, Economics
GPA: 3
WE: Law (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2019, 03:17
why is C wrong? what do I need to look into the question in order to get this one right?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 04-30-2012
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2019, 01:44
saarthakkhanna04 wrote:
why is C wrong? what do I need to look into the question in order to get this one right?

Even I chose C - which is wrong because correct phrase will be "to rent" in that case this one should be tagged under idioms?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2019, 03:13
saarthakkhanna04 wrote:

Option C says "Renting a room" costs twice as much.
Its not the renting of rooms but the "room" that costs twice.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 06:47
LoneSurvivor wrote:
High rise downtown hotels may present greater opportunities to experience an urban lifestyle, but financial considerations reveal that such hotel rooms cost twice as much as renting rooms in suburban hotels.

B) rooms in such hotels cost twice as much to rent as rooms in suburban hotels do
C) renting rooms in such hotels costs twice as much as renting rooms in suburban hotels
D) renting rooms in such hotels costs twice as much as it does for rooms in suburban hotels
E) to rent rooms in such hotels costs twice as much as for rooms in suburban hotels

I sometimes get perplexed by Expertglobal explanations. Here is another one https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... mFRXioaekU

Both B and C are correct. I disagree with Expertglobal when they say that "do" refer to "to rent"

B) rooms in such hotels cost twice as much to rent as rooms in suburban hotels COST
Do always refer back to a verb. In this case cost. Also, comparison here is between two costs
Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2019, 07:47
LoneSurvivor wrote:

I was able to eliminate C D and E because of the same error. If we are talking about rooms we have to use cost. I don't think the subject is renting. The subject is "renting rooms" which is plural. You are not renting anything (apt, beach house, airbnb or anything). So for that reason alone these three options are incorrect.

A is incorrect because of wrong comparison. hotel rooms cost as much as renting rooms? The cost should be compared with the cost and that is what option B does.

Thank you!

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 10:19
Can anyone please help me with the reasoning for Option C.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 11:02
LoneSurvivor wrote:

rooms in such hotels to rent/ renting rooms/ renting of rooms(not in the options)
Here "renting rooms and renting of rooms" are nothing but actions.They are absolutely parallel.
We can say that" Cutting of aarey forests is as bad as burning of amazon rainforest. We can compare actions.
One thing to note here is "Renting of rooms" is far better than Renting rooms.
Actually, the talk is about the hotels so to compare rooms is a better way to go.
B:)
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 21:31
someone please share official explanation
I dont think so renting room is plural or incorrect C is as good an option as B is
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2019, 02:01
"Renting rooms" is an activity, so it is definitely not plural. Although B works fine, it's hard to say that C is definitively wrong. We could say that "renting rooms" isn't what costs something. In other words, we pay to use the room (that's what renting means), but we aren't paying to rent it. That's not very compelling, but I see it. Other than that, we're left with "B is more concise," but a proper SC question should have an actual error in each wrong answer.

Meanwhile, the rest are certainly out. A compares rooms to renting. The "it" in D seems to refer back to "renting rooms in such hotels," and we can't fit that into the following phrase. ("It" doesn't work as a relative pronoun, the way "that" and "those" can.) This is made worse by the switch from "in hotels" to "for rooms." We have that same in/for confusion in E.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
GMAT Club Bot
Re: High rise downtown hotels may present greater opportunities to   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2019, 02:01

High rise downtown hotels may present greater opportunities to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics