Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:47 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Highly preliminary review request - Assessing if I should go for a MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi again!

Based on what you shared, yes I think an MBA may be better for you. I think it would widen your network/options in the US the most, compared to MS programs here that tend to be more specialized.

Thanks for the additional context on your work. Still less typical for MBA applicants but the internships will "count" as full-time work in your case.

Regarding showing leadership, overseeing interns can be used for that. It can also mean leading projects, a new process, a new idea, etc.

I would not mention the lack of promotion, should not be necessary to bring that to their attention. Just try to show a progression of skills, some increased impact, etc., and a strong recommendation letter will be very important.

Hope that helps and we look forward to discussing further with you!
Kate

RubsonSaine wrote:
Thank you for your detailed answer Kate! It seems there is a lot to consider here, but would you say overall it makes more sense for me to get a MBA rather than an additional Masters? Again, my main goal in getting a MBA is to find work in the US and create myself a network, but I'm unsure to what extent a MBA is better than a Masters in my case. Thank you for offering, I'll try and schedule a call with your teams!

To answer some of your questions below:

1) My main concern is my relatively short work experience - 2 years full-time. Does having a master's degree and 3 "long" internships help somewhat counterbalance that for AdComs? Yes, that is shorter than typical, but still within range. The master's degree doesn't count as work experience (though it might show maturity) and only post-undergraduate internships would count (if they were full-time, e.g., 9-5 positions). How long has it been since you completed your master's? If you completed that and then did 2 years of work, I think that's a better position then having that work experience broken up by a master's and also would worry that it's harder to explain the need for an MBA if you're fresh off a master's. To be specific, I'm French and French students don't usually have access to most advanced white collar careers with just an undergraduate degree. I did my internships prior to obtaining my Master's but post-undergraduate - 2 were part of a gap year that is optional but widespread in France for Master's students, and one final internship that is required to graduate. They were all 9-5 over 6 months each, no part-time.

3) What are the strengths and weaknesses of my profile and what school can I aim for? Strengths are international exposure, first-generation college experience, top performance in prior degrees, work at a top bank. I'm not sure about the extracurriculars -- if you've been involved in the mentoring for awhile, that sounds strong enough. Another potential weakness is demonstrating leadership since it doesn't seem that you have a lot on the job as an analyst or through extracurriculars. Maybe you have it and just didn't mention it. And the work experience level which I already discussed could be a weakness. I've been involved in mentoring for two years. I have a couple of stories which I can spin to show leadership, but you're right that I do not have an activity that requires me to "lead" people in effect. In the workplace, I oversee interns but I'm guessing it's not a very strong example?

4) Would waiting for 1 more year significantly increase my chances at getting into a M7 school? I would have a strong preference not to, but I'm open to advice. It's hard to say without knowing your test score. But I think if you can get close to 163quant / 163verbal on GRE, then you should be able to aim for M7 schools. And generally yes, as someone with less experience, waiting a year will help your odds. But given the current situation with your job, I'd suggest giving it a try this year (assuming you get a high enough test score) and then you could always re-apply if you had to. It seems wise to capitalize on the recommendation from your current employer, rather than waiting to apply when you might have a gap in your employment history. Thanks for the feedback. As I'm not laid off per so, but just not promoted, I wouldn't have a gap in my employment history, but I'm concerned about how AdComs would view my lack of promotion. Or should I avoid mentioning it at all?
Moderator:
1452 posts