It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 09:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Highway commissioner: at the present time, the forty mile stretch of i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8741 [0], given: 105

Highway commissioner: at the present time, the forty mile stretch of i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 15:22
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Highway commissioner: at the present time, the forty mile stretch of interstate highway from the town of Hillsborough to the city of West Fredericksport is clogged every weekday with commuter who live in Hillsborough and work in West Fredericksport. Our department is considering increasing the lanes in this stretch of the interstate highway, and the town of Hillsborough could benefit its citizens by contributing to this highway improvement.

Mayor of Hillsborough: we could contribute much more to the well-being of citizens of Hillsborough by investing that same money in a stimulus package to increase the number of jobs here in Hillsborough.

Suppose that the highway commissioner’s and mayor’s statements express their genuine opinions. Select statements (1) and (2) as follows: the highway commissioner would likely disagree with (1), and the mayor would take (2) to present logical support for (1). Select only two statement, one per column.

Attachment:
highway from Hillsborough.png
highway from Hillsborough.png [ 12.85 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]

This is a challenging verbal GMAT IR Two-Part Analysis practice questions. As you may know, the IR 2PA questions can be either quantitative or verbal. For more practice questions of both kinds, see:
GMAT Integrated Reasoning: Two-Part Analysis Practice Questions

Mike :-)

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
first statement = (E), second statement = (B)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Magoosh Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Re: Highway commissioner: at the present time, the forty mile stretch of i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2016, 00:53
(1) in the first row
(2) in the second row.

Is that correct?

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 66

Re: Highway commissioner: at the present time, the forty mile stretch of i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2016, 03:03
Hi Mike ,

not able to understand the OA :

How is B the logical support of E ?

Cheers,
Shri
-------------------------------
GMAT is not an Exam... it is a war .. Let's Conquer !!!

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2016, 14:32
Shrivathsan wrote:
Hi Mike ,

not able to understand the OA :

How is B the logical support of E ?

Dear Shrivathsan,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

For choice (1), we need something that would clearly oppose the highway commissioner’s argument. (E) does this, and it seems in line with what the mayor would argue. This is our choice for column (1).

(E) If the town of Hillsborough's available funds were devoted exclusively to highway improvement, this would not be in the best interests of the citizens of Hillsborough.

Notice that this phrase "best interests" is vague when we only look at this one statement. What would the mayor consider our "best interests"? Well, the mayor talks about "the well-being of the citizens of Hillsborough." This is important. The highway commissioner is just interested in a faster commute. The term "well-being" implies a more holistic concern for overall satisfaction and fulfillment. This is what the mayor considers important.

What would support the idea that if we wanted to support the "the well-being of the citizens of Hillsborough," then spending the money on the highway wouldn't be the best move?

Clearly, (B) supports this idea. This is the best choice for (2).

(B) A short commute, brought about by a job close to one's residence, contributes to an individual's quality of life.

The phrase "quality of life" echoes the mayor's concern for "well-being." If what is most important is the "well-being" and the "quality of life" of the citizens of Hillsborough, then making the commute to West Fredericksport marginally better is not going to be the best use of money & effort; instead, supporting jobs in Hillsborough is a much better plan to pursue.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 4

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 01:09
Sigh, answered E for the first one (was kinda obvious), but D for the second one. Is it wrong coz its just weaker or am I missing something?

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 14:55
Zhenek wrote:
Sigh, answered E for the first one (was kinda obvious), but D for the second one. Is it wrong coz its just weaker or am I missing something?

Dear Zhenek,

Would you say that (D) provides clear support for (E)? Remember, the best support is not something that we can imagine supporting in some special case, but something that is clearly a support. Can you make an argument that (D) supports (E)?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Highway commissioner: at the present time, the forty mile stretch of i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 01:12
mikemcgarry wrote:
Zhenek wrote:

Dear Zhenek,

Would you say that (D) provides clear support for (E)? Remember, the best support is not something that we can imagine supporting in some special case, but something that is clearly a support. Can you make an argument that (D) supports (E)?

Hello Mike.

Well, I guess (D) does indeed not provide a clear support. It is basically weak or imaginary.

My argument: "if funds are devoted to that specific highway (between Hillsborough and Fredricksport) improvements, then people, who work in Rock city, will not feel any of those improvements since they are not using this highway". The option says: "... 30 miles in the OTHER DIRECTION from Fredricksport", which implies that the potential highway improvements would literally do nothing for some people.

Thanks for your reply.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 03:58
mikemcgarry wrote:

Does all this make sense?

Thanks Mike :) I got it now.

Cheers,
Shri
-------------------------------
GMAT is not an Exam... it is a war .. Let's Conquer !!!

Re: Highway commissioner: at the present time, the forty mile stretch of i   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2016, 03:58

Highway commissioner: at the present time, the forty mile stretch of i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, chetan2u

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap