It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hippocratic oath for MBA Students?? FT Article.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Hippocratic oath for MBA Students?? FT Article. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2009, 06:11
Saw this article about a movement to institute Hippocratic oath in wake of latest financial troubles....

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b5e93c56-6443 ... abdc0.html

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 29

Schools: AGSM '16
Re: Hippocratic oath for MBA Students?? FT Article. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2009, 06:21
Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 29

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 762 [1], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2009, 14:58
This post received
KUDOS
The problem is that people going into banking are generally very motivated by money. Who would be working 100+ hour weeks without that huge bonus? If there is a grey area you can be sure that many of these people will push the boundary as far as they can. Unless its outright illegal many of them will do it since its most likely going to be a good profit generator and will get them a bigger bonus. Without a change in the way people are rewarded, nothing will change. The people who would take such an oath to heart at the same kind who wouldn't be skirting the line of what is legal and what is illegal.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 762 [1], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 21

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2009, 09:31
Agreed, people will go to any level for 'profit', it varies from person to person. But, the point is how much "taking an oath" is meaningful ?

It's just like teaching "Ethics & professional conduct". :| MBAs (or people from any profession for that matter) are all 24+. I don't think there is any need to tell them what is wrong & what is not. People who cross the moral limits do know that they are crossing & take that risk to get more profit.

I am ready to fall, but not before I fly.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 21

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 6

Schools: LBS

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2009, 10:15
Although I don't have a vast banking experience to draw upon but I find it interesting how this 'MBA oath' compares to the Hippocratic oath for medical practitioner. The reward structure is no doubt very different in both professions and some might argue that at many levels, 'saving a life' is a reward in itself for doctors, as opposed to making a profit for the firm, but there might be another way to look at this:The field of medicine is concerned with something very pertinent and visibly important, the well-being of a human; in a very different aspect compared to the well-being of people who are at the receiving end of the decision taken by bankers. A sick patient be it someone with a cold or mild-flu is tangentially observed to be sick and is quite unlikely to be somehow swindled by the doctor in to something which might earn the doctor an extra buck (although at a small scale, this happens quite a lot). On the other hand, an underpressure-to-perform banker is quite likely to flirt or outright transgress the moral and/or legal boundary. I am trying to invoke Peter Singer's morality argument here in a reverse fashion which argues "If it is in our power to prevent something very bad from happening, without thereby sacrificing anything morally significant, we ought, morally, to do it.." He elaborates on it by means of an example: "If I am walking past a shallow pond and see a child drowning in it, I ought to wade in and pull the child out. This will mean getting my clothes muddy, but this is insignificant, while the death of the child would presumably be a very bad thing". Considerations of distance, or of how many potential rescuers there might be, are irrelevant to Singer: the child you see dying of malnutrition or a preventable disease on the foreign news has as much of a claim on you as the child in the pond, he argues. (Guardian). So basically those doctors come across the child in the pond, while bankers hear of malnutrition on the news. Extrapolate this to the legislative level and you have extensive regulations defining exactly the code of conducts for medical practitioners, take it to a wilder level of imagination and you can see why a victim of malpractice will have a more solid case in front of a jury compared to a victim of some financial fraud thats equally hard to give a verdict upon.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 6

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 6

Schools: NYU Stern 2009

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2009, 13:37
Completely egregious nonsense. Worrying in it being done because it is entirely unnecessary and simply a vehicle for pomposity.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2009, 14:25
haha this is just funny. Having an oath in place will not prevent business people from being greedy.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 6

Re: Hippocratic oath for MBA Students?? FT Article.   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2009, 14:25

Hippocratic oath for MBA Students?? FT Article.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap