It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 08:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine homeland, far outside

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 2

His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine homeland, far outside [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2014, 23:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:04) correct 43% (01:09) wrong based on 1408 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 2015

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 72
Page: 685

His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine homeland, far outside the range of present-day glaciers, led Louis Agassiz in 1837 to propose the concept of an age in which great ice sheets had existed in now currently temperate areas.

(A) in which great ice sheets had existed in now currently temperate areas
(B) in which great ice sheets existed in what are now temperate areas
(C) when great ice sheets existed where there were areas now temperate
(D) when great ice sheets had existed in current temperate areas
(E) when great ice sheets existed in areas now that are temperate

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Please give some help full tips to spot the adverb in a sentence also let me know the rules of placing the adverb.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 29 Oct 2017, 21:48, edited 5 times in total.
Formatted the question.

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8172 [1], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)
Re: His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine homeland, far outside [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2014, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
Kiranjith:

1. You have not underlined the relevant portion;

2. Please appreciate that Chocie A has to be exactly ditto as found in the text; Else, this question wouldn't make GMAT grade; We are spending lot of time on these questions

3. Generally, Your topics and queries are good.

Adverbs modify verbs or adjectives. Here in the text, - now -, an adverb, modifies- temperate,- an adjective. Adverbs normally answer such questions as when, where, what extent etc;

Some adverbs are called restrictive adverbs as they limit the extent of action or proportion –examples- exclusively, only, now, solely, and just, etc.

Many of the adverbs are easy to identify since they end in ‘ly’

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Last edited by daagh on 02 May 2015, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 8172 [1], given: 364

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9281 [0], given: 340

Re: His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine homeland, far outside [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2014, 11:24
Hi Kiranjith,

Which adverbs are you referring to in this case? Could you state your query in a more detailed and specific way, and try to present your understanding of the question?

Thanks!

Regards,
Meghna

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9281 [0], given: 340

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2015, 23:34
past perfect, according to gmat standard, have only one usage. do not take the standards from grammar book for the use of had done.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 36

Schools: Mannheim

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 12:28
Why not A ? My shot was that we need past perfect here..

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 14:30
1) should be past simple
2)adverb "now" should be properly placed , after verb, not as an adjective

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

“It’s not that I’m so smart; it’s just that I stay with problems longer.” - Albert Einstein
"Kirib chiqma, bilib chiq."
"Век живи́ - век учи́сь."

Last edited by hamdam on 13 Jun 2015, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2015, 22:43
Why is D a wrong choice? When we talk about "age", shouldn't the term "when" follow?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

8 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 21 [8], given: 6

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 08:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
"When and in which" both are used to modify a time period but here the period is already defined by the word "age".

"age in which" is correct and not "age when"

this gives us 3-2 split.

past perfect is only used when we want to sequence 2 events. Since only 1 event is described here, so no need of past perfect.

we are left with only B.

Kudos [?]: 21 [8], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2015, 22:29
LaxAvenger wrote:
Why not A ? My shot was that we need past perfect here..

because of now and currently usage. Both have same meaning so either now or currently should be used to avoid redundancy.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [1], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 02:19
This post received
KUDOS
aakashbaweja wrote:
"When and in which" both are used to modify a time period but here the period is already defined by the word "age".

"age in which" is correct and not "age when"

this gives us 3-2 split.

past perfect is only used when we want to sequence 2 events. Since only 1 event is described here, so no need of past perfect.

we are left with only B.

WHEN CLAUSE can work as adverb: I learn gmat when you come
WHEN CLAUSE can work as an adjective, the age when you came is good.

"the age when" is correct

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [1], given: 916

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 11

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 16:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine home land, far outside the range of present-day glaciers, led Louis Agassiz in 1837 to propose the concept of an age in which great ice sheets had existed in now currently temperate areas.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I am not comfortable with official explanation for this question. It looks confusing and I am unable to differentiate the usage of "when" and "in which". Can someone please simply the usage of term"in which".

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 11

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8172 [3], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 21:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
‘In which’ is used in cases, where we cannot use which directly in the context for some genuine reasons. Otherwise, ‘in which’ means the same as ‘which’. For example, we cannot use ‘which’ when we refer to a period; we cannot use which when referring to a place. In such cases we can still use the prepositional phrase ‘in which’ and make the correct meaning.

Ex 1: I belong to the golden times when elders were respected rather than unwelcome.
I belong to the golden times in which elders were respected rather than unwelcome

Ex 2: In the olden Kerala where Matriarchy was in practice, women were dominant.
The olden Kerala in which Matriarchy was in practice, women were dominant.

The additional factor in favor of ‘in which’ is that the prepositional phrase can be used gainfully to replace the relative pronouns 'when' and 'where' as in the given a case.
Here in the context, ‘when’ has a problem. It might mean that Louis made the proposal in 1837 when Ice sheets had existed. This twisted meaning renders the use of ‘When’ as inappropriate. Hence C, D, and E can be dumped even without proceeding further. The correct choice should be between A and B. , Of course, A is wrong because ‘now currently’ is redundancy. B is the correct choice.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Last edited by daagh on 21 Sep 2017, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 8172 [3], given: 364

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 21:36
daagh wrote:
‘In which’ is used in cases, where we cannot use which directly in the context for some genuine reasons. Otherwise, ‘in which’ means the same as ‘which’. For example, we cannot use ‘which’ when we refer to a period; we cannot use which when referring to a place. In such cases we can still use the prepositional phrase ‘in which’ and make the correct meaning.

Ex 1: I belong to the golden tines when elders were respected rather than unwelcome.
I belong to the golden times in which elders were respected rather than unwelcome

Ex 2: In the olden Kerala where Matriarchy was in practice, women were dominant.
The olden Kerala in which Matriarchy was in practice, women were dominant.

The additional factor in favor of ‘in which’ is that, the prepositional phrase can be used gainfully to replace the relative pronouns 'when' and 'where' as in the given a case.
Here in the context, ‘when’ has a problem. It might mean that Louis made the proposal in 1837, when Ice sheets had existed. This twisted meaning renders the use of ‘When’ as inappropriate. Hence C, D and E can be dumped even without proceeding further. The correct choice should be between A and B. Of course A is wrong because ‘now currently’ is redundancy. B is the correct choice.

great explanation, new info for me

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 22:11
daagh wrote:
Ex 1: I belong to the golden tines when elders were respected rather than unwelcome.

Thanks for your explanation. This was not very clear to me. Is the first sentence incorrect, or are both sentences correct here?

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 17

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 22:51
Hi,

The fact that A has "now" and "currently" is enough to rule it out as wrong.

Regards,
Dom.

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 39

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5851 [1], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 05:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
snorkeler wrote:
Q)His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine
homeland, far outside the range of present-day
glaciers, led Louis Agassiz in 1837 to propose the
concept of an age in which great ice sheets had
existed in now currently temperate areas

(A) in which great ice sheets had existed in now
currently temperate areas
(B) in which great ice sheets existed in what are
now temperate areas
(C) when great ice sheets existed where there were
areas now temperate
(D) when great ice sheets had existed in current
temperate areas
(E) when great ice sheets existed in areas now that
are temperate

hi,
if you are referring to existed and had existed....
when do we use past perfect :-
" It is used to make it clear that one event happened before another in the past. It does not matter which event is mentioned first - the tense makes it clear which one happened first."

but here there is only one age we are talking of ...
One may feel that it is prior to the present age, but we do not have two actions in the sentence and thus there is no confusion of which action happened earlier..
So, we should keep our sentence in simple past..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5851 [1], given: 117

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [2], given: 41

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 05:54
This post received
KUDOS
Isn't that existence of great ice sheets occurred prior to his proposal of concept?, Do I need to consider them as two different events occurred in different time scale or is it a single event? I'm bit confused here.. Pls let me know where my logic goes wrong..

"Fight the HARDEST battle that anyone can ever imagine"

Kudos [?]: 56 [2], given: 41

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 05:19
The time period is mentioned, I think that places the two time frames in their respective order, so past perfect is not required.. IMO.
Anyone pls confirm.

"Fight the HARDEST battle that anyone can ever imagine"

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 41

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5851 [2], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 05:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
snorkeler wrote:
Isn't that existence of great ice sheets occurred prior to his proposal of concept?, Do I need to consider them as two different events occurred in different time scale or is it a single event? I'm bit confused here.. Pls let me know where my logic goes wrong..

yeah you are correct that proposal of a concept and existence of great ice sheets were at two different times..

But the moment you say he proposed the concept of an age after going through some studies of..., it clearly shows that the age was naturally before he proposed about it existing..
There is no ambiguity in the chronological order..

And when there is no ambiguity, we can avoid the past perfect..

some more example,
The scientist proposed in 1976 that the dinosaurs became extinct during ice age..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5851 [2], given: 117

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1773 [0], given: 794

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 05:46
snorkeler wrote:
Q)His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine homeland, far outside the range of present-day glaciers, led Louis Agassiz in 1837 to propose the concept of an age in which great ice sheets had
existed in now currently temperate areas

Search for a question before posting a new thread. Refer above for the discussion on this question. Topics merged.

Kudos [?]: 1773 [0], given: 794

Re: His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine homeland, far outside   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2016, 05:46

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 32 posts ] 

His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine homeland, far outside

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap