It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

hispanic theater company

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 6

hispanic theater company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2008, 09:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Intar, the oldest Hispanic theater company in New York, has moved away from the Spanish classics and now it draws on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors who live abroad and of those in the United States.

A. now it draws on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors who live abroad and of those

B. now draws on the works of contemporary Hispanic authors, both those who live abroad and those who live

C. it draws on the works of contemporary Hispanic authors now, both those living abroad and who live

D. draws now on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad and who are

E. draws on the works now of both contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad and those

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 6

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1013 [0], given: 1

Re: hispanic theater company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2008, 13:55
Nihit wrote:
Intar, the oldest Hispanic theater company in New York, has moved away from the Spanish classics and now it draws on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors who live abroad and of those in the United States.

A. now it draws on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors who live abroad and of those

B. now draws on the works of contemporary Hispanic authors, both those who live abroad and those who live

C. it draws on the works of contemporary Hispanic authors now, both those living abroad and who live

D. draws now on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad and who are

E. draws on the works now of both contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad and those

I choose B as my answer.

(A) the use of "it" after "and" creates a run-on sentence; This can be corrected either by placing a comma just before "and" or by removing the "it" after "and" so that we don't have an independant clause after "and."

(B) Correct because it corrects the issue that I already raised for A.

(C) "it" creates a clause after and because there is no comma before "and", hence this creates a run-on sentence because we don't have a proper conjunction to connect these clauses together.

(D) Parallelism is required on both sides of "and," but we have "who" after "and," but no "who" can be found before "and."

(E) "now" in option E makes it talk about the works that exist "now." Although I can see that there is a lack of parallelism, I don't really know how to correct it exactly. Nevertheless, I could still detect this issue in this answer choice.

Kudos [?]: 1013 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 17:52
Nihit wrote:

Obviously B for llism.

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 17:57
(B) for me too...

both those who live abroad and those who live - Parallel construction.

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 18:41
Nihit wrote:

A. now it draws on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors who live abroad and of those -> IT is redundant and both is displaced

B. now draws on the works of contemporary Hispanic authors, both those who live abroad and those who live -> correct both x and y is idiom used

C. it draws on the works of contemporary Hispanic authors now, both those living abroad and who live -> it is redundant

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 18:46
tarek99 wrote:
Nihit wrote:

I choose B as my answer.

(A) the use of "it" after "and" creates a run-on sentence; This can be corrected either by placing a comma just before "and" or by removing the "it" after "and" so that we don't have an independant clause after "and."

(C) "it" creates a clause after and because there is no comma before "and", hence this creates a run-on sentence because we don't have a proper conjunction to connect these clauses together.

(D) Parallelism is required on both sides of "and," but we have "who" after "and," but no "who" can be found before "and."

(E) "now" in option E makes it talk about the works that exist "now." Although I can see that there is a lack of parallelism, I don't really know how to correct it exactly. Nevertheless, I could still detect this issue in this answer choice.

can u explain whats a run on sentence ? here which is the sentence when we use it :
the armed force has moved away from XYZ and it now moves towards the other side !!!

here in the above sentence do u call the second part as run-on sentence ????since i feel "it" is simply redundant

cheers
Its Now Or Never

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1013 [1], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 19:54
This post received
KUDOS
spriya wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
Nihit wrote:

I choose B as my answer.

can u explain whats a run on sentence ? here which is the sentence when we use it :
the armed force has moved away from XYZ and it now moves towards the other side !!!

here in the above sentence do u call the second part as run-on sentence ????since i feel "it" is simply redundant

well, we have a run-on sentence when two independent clauses are connected without a proper conjunction between the 2 clauses. In the case of "and", it can connect phrases, but when it comes to connecting clauses, a comma must be placed before "and". For example:

Tom went to school, and he graduated.

because "Tom went" and "he graduated" are each independent clauses, there must be a comma before "and." However, we don't need a comma when "and" connects phrases. for example:

Tom went to school and graduated.

Because we don't have another subject after "and" since we have only the verb after "and", no comma is needed before "and."

in option A, we have the subject "it" along with its verb after "and," so either we need a comma or we take away the it.

you can check out the website about run-ons and also how to avoid them.

hope this helps!

Kudos [?]: 1013 [1], given: 1

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 295 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2008, 12:00
Nice explanation Tarek.

Kudos [?]: 295 [0], given: 5

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2008, 16:37
spriya wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
Nihit wrote:

I choose B as my answer.

well, we have a run-on sentence when two independent clauses are connected without a proper conjunction between the 2 clauses. In the case of "and", it can connect phrases, but when it comes to connecting clauses, a comma must be placed before "and". For example:

Tom went to school, and he graduated.

because "Tom went" and "he graduated" are each independent clauses, there must be a comma before "and." However, we don't need a comma when "and" connects phrases. for example:

Tom went to school and graduated.

Because we don't have another subject after "and" since we have only the verb after "and", no comma is needed before "and."

in option A, we have the subject "it" along with its verb after "and," so either we need a comma or we take away the it.

you can check out the website about run-ons and also how to avoid them.

hope this helps!

this helps !!! good explanation ... now i understand clearly Why IT is redundant in A

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Re: hispanic theater company   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2008, 16:37

hispanic theater company

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap