Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 24 May 2017, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Holly Johnson, the openly homosexual former frontman of Fra

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 42 [2] , given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Holly Johnson, the openly homosexual former frontman of Fra [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 22:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (01:00) correct 45% (00:51) wrong based on 357 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Holly Johnson, the openly homosexual former frontman of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, is also an accomplished painter and writer.

a) openly homosexual former frontman of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, is also an accomplished painter and
b) openly homosexual former frontman of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, are also an accomplished painter and
c) open homosexual frontman of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, is an accomplished painter and
d) openly homosexual former frontman of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, is also an accomplished painter as well as
e) openly homosexual former frontman of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, are an accomplished painter and
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by eMJ on 27 Aug 2013, 07:49, edited 2 times in total.
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-04-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 13

Re: Holly Johnson, the openly homosexual former frontman of Fra [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2013, 23:56
eMJ wrote:
Holly Johnson, the openly homosexual former frontman of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, is also an accomplished painter and writer.

a) openly homosexual former frontman of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, is also an accomplished painter and
b) openly homosexual former frontman of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, are also an accomplished painter and
c) open homosexual frontman of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, is an accomplished painter and
d) openly homosexual former frontman of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, is also an accomplished painter as well as
e) openly homosexual former frontman of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, are an accomplished painter and

IMO A....

Option B and E are wrong because of "are"....Option C misses "former" word...In between A and D...A looks concise and simple...
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 734 [4] , given: 276

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2013, 00:13
This post received
KUDOS
CORRECT

- Subject "Holly Johnson" is singular, so singular verb "IS" must be used. Thus Incorrect

We need to use OPENLY because the author intends to say that "Holly is openly homosexual" rather than "Holly is Open Frontman". Thus Incorrect

"And" is more concise than "As well as". D is grammatically correct but is slightly lengthy in comparison to option A

- Subject "Holly Johnson" is singular, so singular verb "IS" must be used. Thus Incorrect

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 1474

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2014, 22:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
As far as I have noticed , "as well as" is generally not found in correct answer choices.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 997

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 18:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 17:19

Holly Johanson is singular entity and usage of 'are' is wrong. option B and E are out.
C changes the meaning and D is wordy.

A is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business, Finance

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 100

Holly Johnson, the openly homosexual former frontman of Fra [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 01:40
eMJ wrote:

in option A, an adverb(openly) after a noun (Johnson), is it correct?Not sure about my question.
Please provide an elaborate explanation :?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 01:56

are in B and E is incorrect
C changes the meaning of the sentence
D as well as is not used for joining two entities and is used

A is best
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 02:01
Between A and D, A is good as it uses and for painter and writer. Here equal emphasis is required. B uses as well as, this puts more emphasis on painter.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 03:36
ANS A

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Re: Holly Johnson, the openly homosexual former frontman of Fra   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2017, 03:36