GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Horrible Experience at test center

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GPA: 3.57
Reviews Badge
Horrible Experience at test center  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 21:38
I appeared for GMAT last month and had a horrible experience. I complained the night I came back from the test after recovering from the nasty headache test center gave me and have still not heard back from GMAT with a proper resolution to the issue. I need suggestions to get my case escalated with GMAC/Pearson. Here is a summary of the issues and I will try to avoid specific details of identification to avoid violating any terms.

1- My formal test center was titled say 'TESTCENTER, CITY' where city is a different neighboring city, and not my native city. I had to use Google maps on test day only to be taken to the old campus of that institution before I found out the error and went to the correct address. They did not bother removing their old premises off Google maps and it still shows as the first one in a Google maps search. I took screenshots and sent to the complaint email address only to be told that I did not need to search as the exact address was listed. How can I tell them I do not know all streets in a city of 2 million inhabitants, especially when I do not belong to that city. I needed an aide and I cannot think of anything other than Google Maps.

2- The place where they take your picture and palm prints had a UPS on the table right across the chair where they sit you with overheated lead acid batteries that were giving off pretty strong acid fumes. This gave me a strong headache as it was not sealed from the actual test room where you sit for the test. As to the question, how I knew batteries were overheated? Well, I work in data center industry and of course in a country plagued with power issues where UPS systems with lead acid batteries are common. When batteries get old or the UPS is faulty, batteries overheat and acid fumes often fill the air. I have seen this many times before so I immediately notified the test center administrator only to encounter indifference as if it was a non-issue. I touched the battery to confirm and yes it was overheated.
Pearson responded with a generic rebuff telling me how UPS are 'usually' covered and in a safe place. I certainly did not need a reminder how they are 'supposed to be' covered but an investigation into my claim and a resolution. This is of course the place where you've already left your belongings and phone so you cannot even record or take pictures. This claim has not been specifically addressed as to what they did to investigate and what they found.

3- Mouse was faulty and mouse pad skin was flaky. I had it replaced once only to receive another one that was not up to the mark but with 5 days left in R2 deadlines and no formal scores, I figured I should try to make this work.

4- The pens were not working and plastic graph paper sheet was so scratchy and dusty that it had gone hazy. I could have worked with the sheet if only the pen worked so I had the pens replaced once. The replacement ones worked for a bit and then stopped working. I found out every time I put them aside and picked them up, I had to struggle to get them running again as if they had dried up. I improvised and kept drawing random stuff on paper on the side for quite a bit of the actual exam time and when I complained, it was rebuffed saying I did not raise such a concern. Well I already had them replaced once and what could I have done other than actively look at the camera to point to my struggle. There is ample video evidence of this but nobody is alluding to it which is frustrating. If they look at the 3+ hours of evidence and tell me well we investigated, it would be less frustrating.

5 - i - Toilet during break was outside the actual premises of the test center outside the digitally locked entrance of the test institution. When I went to the toilet during the break, I had to ask the reception staff to open the digitally locked door from his desk and repeat the process coming back in. It wasn't a killer blow but of course an inexplicable inconvenience. This was the least of the issues.
5 - ii - The conditions of the toilet were horrible as in post apocalyptic movie toilet bad, and there was no toilet paper. After the test I took my phone back, took pictures (There could be no monitoring as it was outside the gmat test premises) and sent them to the complaint address only to be given another canned response "we make sure toilets are renovated". Well of course that is the policy but they didn't bother directly addressing the picture evidence and telling me these were renovated. I have those pictures and would be happy to prove my claim but I am avoiding this for fear of violating some fine print in some policy, and of course grossing people out here.

Multiple calls on the helpline, emails, pictures of the horrendous condition of the toilets, and pleading with them to escalate and expedite the request, have largely been ignored and R2 deadlines are already long lapsed. My frustration boiled over when the staff at Pearson responded back saying 'We will not refund you $250' when I made no single request for a refund. This also shows how my request was projected and extrapolated based on their prejudged assertion rather than on the merits of the claims. I wanted a test retake under fair conditions.

I am disappointed and not sure what to do. Is there any avenue for me to escalate my request and has anyone experienced similar issues. I certainly am happy to pay for another attempt if the previous attempt can be wiped off my scores and more importantly, the center removed from the list of designated GMAT test centers before a thorough investigation is carried out into the horrible conditions there. The fact that I scored 700+ in all 3 official mocks (2 free and 1 exam pack test) but managed to score less than 700 in the actual test makes it all the more frustrating.

bb Bunuel souvik101990 mikemcgarry chetan2u VeritasPrepKarishma EgmatQuantExpert (I actually subscribed for e-gmat verbal).

Please hit Kudos if this post helped you inch closer to your GMAT goal.
Procrastination is the termite constantly trying to eat your GMAT tree from the inside.
There is one fix to every problem, working harder!

e-GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Horrible Experience at test center  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 22:33
Sorry to hear about it. You should definitely bring it up to the attention of the OfficialGMAT and get them informed. If anything at least about their partner about improving the future test experience but also alert them about safety and other border-line policies. They have just started participating last week (again after taking a break) - would recommend reaching out to them.

Sorry about the experience and thanks for posting!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 06:21
Sorry to heat that. I know what you have passed through as I was in same situation but in another test. But i advise you not only contact official GMAT here but also send official email to them stating all the above and how it affected you. The more you explain, the better you may got from them.

Good luck and keep it up
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 13:15
bb wrote:
Sorry to hear about it. You should definitely bring it up to the attention of the OfficialGMAT and get them informed. If anything at least about their partner about improving the future test experience but also alert them about safety and other border-line policies. They have just started participating last week (again after taking a break) - would recommend reaching out to them.

Sorry about the experience and thanks for posting!

Thank you for the response. I will reach out.

Mo2men wrote:
Sorry to heat that. I know what you have passed through as I was in same situation but in another test. But i advise you not only contact official GMAT here but also send official email to them stating all the above and how it affected you. The more you explain, the better you may got from them.

Good luck and keep it up

I will certainly do that. I have explained more than once in multiple emails to all the official addresses for my region listed on the GMAT handbook. Nobody bothered commenting on the evidence and my request to review the video of my test. They sent me generic responses about how things should be in a GMAT test center as if that would change what happened in my case. I called at least 3 times on the helpline, only to be told to re-send my email rather than using my previous email logged in their help desk. If support is not proactive enough to escalate an already logged case internally, and asks me instead to re-send an email, what else can I say about this case.
Of course, I did send another email and the person who originally brushed off my concerns told me to send an email to a different address instead of escalating the same request. It is one of those disappointing things that you wish you did not have to experience and it makes me sick thinking others might experience the same thing due to the careless attitude of support at Pearson.

Procrastination is the termite constantly trying to eat your GMAT tree from the inside.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 17:46
Dear jedit,

I'm very sorry to hear of this unfortunate set of experiences. I see that bb and Mo2men already commented. I want to say a few more things.

My friend, what happen to you was grossly unfair. Unfortunately, it is a sad fact of life that human life overall tends to be unfair sometimes, and the business world in particular tends to be unfair sometimes. I say this to put things in context. On the one hand, it's important to fight for recognition and bring attention to the issues at this particular test center. On the other hand, be sparing about how you talk about this in other contexts. It's a sad fact in the business world that unfair things sometimes happen to people, and while that's rough, what in the end matters are the results that people produce. People want to know the bottom line and they don't care about the story. If someone catches a bad break and still hits the mark, then that person garners tremendous respect. If someone else catches a bad break and doesn't hit the mark, privately a few people might have sympathy, but in the big picture, the big machine of the business world simply moves on to other things and leaves that person behind. Usually, you cannot count on sympathy from superiors when you explain why your particular circumstances were unfair: again, the only currency in many situations is simply the results, and if the results aren't there, no one may be much interested in what you have to say. In practice, many highly skilled and highly successful people in the business world simply have had to keep quiet about big instances of unfairness against them at various point, and they learned to succeed anyway. Such people might be particularly unsympathetic if someone uses unfairness as an excuse for not achieving something. What I am suggesting that, once you are launched in your business career, (a) unfairness will sometimes happen, (b) you can't necessarily count on any sympathy for the unfairness you suffer, and (c) therefore, you should be most circumspect about sharing it at all, and in particular, be scrupulous about avoiding even the appearance that you want to claim this as a excuse. Solid results always speak louder than anything you can say about yourself---ultimately, that's also true with the GMAT.

As for the practical concern, let's divide all these problems into two categories
Category #1: problems that directly and meaningfully impacted your GMAT performance
Category #2: other unpleasant parts of the experience
I get that all of it contributed to an overall bad experience on test day, but the Category #2 stuff is may not be worth the fight a much. You see, there's a danger in complaining about too much at once. If a stranger makes a single focused complaint about one serious thing, most people would tend to take that one complaint serious. By contrast, if a stranger makes a bunch of complaints, some about big things and some about little things, some people might be likely to dismiss that person as a complainer. With a larger quantity of complaints, there can be a dilution of the apparent importance of each one, especially if some of them are not as serious as others. In short, when raising complaints at all, less is more.

In ongoing relationships, think of it as a bank of moral credit. If I complain regularly to my boss, my boss thinks I'm a complainer, and probably tunes a lot out. If I hold my complaints, remaining quiet even on some smaller instances of unfairness, and then complain once only when it's super-huge, then may boss is more likely to think, "Wow, Mike never complaints: the fact that he is complaining now means this one issue must be a big problem!" Once again, in ongoing relationships, there's a lot to be gained by reserving complaints for very exceptional circumstances.

As for the particulars of your situation:
1) The Google map thing: that might be as much on Google as on the test center. What Pearson or GMAC might say is: well, you should have checked out the location a few days ahead of time. Much in the same way, don't rely on Google Maps to be flawless the morning you are scheduled to show up for the first day of a new job. Do everything thing you can to do reconnaissance beforehand. That's simply part of responsibility. I would not address this part further at all.

2) The overheated lead batteries--certainly unpleasant and perhaps toxic. Most people have no idea how batteries work and many people, including presumably the people who work with that foul smell every day, may not be aware of the problem at all. I would say drop this concern in further discussions with Pearson or GMAC. I would say, if you think this is potential health concern, contact OSHA or some governmental health board. Register a health complaint and let them investigate separate from you.

3) Bad mouse & bad mouse pad--that directly concerns the test taking experience. Continue addressing this.

4) Faulty pens and writing pads--that also directly concerns the test taking experience. Continue addressing this.

5) Nasty toilets--some people are really affected by this, and some people go to the bathroom only once a day (BTW, that's not the least bit healthy, but that's how some people live!) Again, I would say drop this. Again, if there's some governmental health board, perhaps you can register a complaint with them. You might also leave a bad Yelp review if they're on Yelp.

I would say focus on #3 and #4: in my mind, those are issue that directly and immediately affect the test-taking experience, and theoretically would be addressable if the testing center were not so cheap about supplies. If you don't make much progress with discussions with GMAC and Pearson, I would say: think about having a conversation with a lawyer. A lawyer could tell you what would be actionable. Sometimes a whole lot of inertia evaporates and a whole lot of changes suddenly start getting made when a lawyer hints that a suit might be in the offing. A lawyer might be able to sort through what legal agreements Pearson makes and might be able to demonstrate that they were in breech of contract by offering you substandard equipment that impeded your performance. It's worth at least having that discussions with the lawyer. I wish you the best of good luck.

Finally, I let's talk about the GMAT itself, my area of expertise. Although you experienced other problems, you may find this blog germane:
Lower on the Real GMAT than on Practice Tests
The recommendations in that blog certainly would be relevant when you start thinking about a retake.

Also, you didn't mention your actual score, but you now would qualify for Magoosh's score guarantee: if you fulfill the requirements, you would be guaranteed a 50-point increase or your money back. That's a potential win-win if you sign up for Magoosh for your retake.

Let me know if you have any questions or want to say anything in response.

Mike McGarry :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 12:01
jedit – I am truly sorry for your experience. Frankly I have heard this story a number of times. Pearson Vue frankly does not care as much imposing their requirements on the testing centers especially in India. While their requirements document looks comprehensive, few centers in India adhere to the same.

Here is the link to requirement document: https://home.pearsonvue.com/Documents/T ... _reqs.aspx

The good news is that most top schools don’t care about students taking multiple attempts as long as students have a good GMAT score. Take the case of Prawee who improved from 550 to 740 in 5 attempts and is now studying at Kellogg.

https://e-gmat.wistia.com/medias/gvn357mf6a

Similarly, Rohit took the test multiple times to score 740. He is also studying at Kellogg.
https://e-gmat.wistia.com/medias/x0lxt5vo8k

Lastly, to help others, provide a review for the test center at the link below:

https://gmatclub.com/reviews/more-gmat-test-centers/

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Reviews Badge
Horrible Experience at test center  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 19:57
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear jedit,

I'm very sorry to hear of this unfortunate set of experiences. I see that bb and Mo2men already commented. I want to say a few more things.

My friend, what happen to you was grossly unfair. Unfortunately, it is a sad fact of life that human life overall tends to be unfair sometimes, and the business world in particular tends to be unfair sometimes. I say this to put things in context. On the one hand, it's important to fight for recognition and bring attention to the issues at this particular test center. On the other hand, be sparing about how you talk about this in other contexts. It's a sad fact in the business world that unfair things sometimes happen to people, and while that's rough, what in the end matters are the results that people produce. People want to know the bottom line and they don't care about the story. If someone catches a bad break and still hits the mark, then that person garners tremendous respect. If someone else catches a bad break and doesn't hit the mark, privately a few people might have sympathy, but in the big picture, the big machine of the business world simply moves on to other things and leaves that person behind. Usually, you cannot count on sympathy from superiors when you explain why your particular circumstances were unfair: again, the only currency in many situations is simply the results, and if the results aren't there, no one may be much interested in what you have to say. In practice, many highly skilled and highly successful people in the business world simply have had to keep quiet about big instances of unfairness against them at various point, and they learned to succeed anyway. Such people might be particularly unsympathetic if someone uses unfairness as an excuse for not achieving something. What I am suggesting that, once you are launched in your business career, (a) unfairness will sometimes happen, (b) you can't necessarily count on any sympathy for the unfairness you suffer, and (c) therefore, you should be most circumspect about sharing it at all, and in particular, be scrupulous about avoiding even the appearance that you want to claim this as a excuse. Solid results always speak louder than anything you can say about yourself---ultimately, that's also true with the GMAT.

Thank you. I have encountered adverse circumstances in the past and again, I gave Pearson a month to respond and only posted here after I exhausted virtually all options with them. This is less of a post seeking sympathy but more of an eye opener for others who might expect Exam Center to uphold the same high standards that the actual academic aspect of GMAT does.

Quote:
As for the practical concern, let's divide all these problems into two categories
Category #1: problems that directly and meaningfully impacted your GMAT performance
Category #2: other unpleasant parts of the experience
I get that all of it contributed to an overall bad experience on test day, but the Category #2 stuff is may not be worth the fight a much. You see, there's a danger in complaining about too much at once. If a stranger makes a single focused complaint about one serious thing, most people would tend to take that one complaint serious. By contrast, if a stranger makes a bunch of complaints, some about big things and some about little things, some people might be likely to dismiss that person as a complainer. With a larger quantity of complaints, there can be a dilution of the apparent importance of each one, especially if some of them are not as serious as others. In short, when raising complaints at all, less is more.

In ongoing relationships, think of it as a bank of moral credit. If I complain regularly to my boss, my boss thinks I'm a complainer, and probably tunes a lot out. If I hold my complaints, remaining quiet even on some smaller instances of unfairness, and then complain once only when it's super-huge, then may boss is more likely to think, "Wow, Mike never complaints: the fact that he is complaining now means this one issue must be a big problem!" Once again, in ongoing relationships, there's a lot to be gained by reserving complaints for very exceptional circumstances.

Agreed.

Quote:
As for the particulars of your situation:
1) The Google map thing: that might be as much on Google as on the test center. What Pearson or GMAC might say is: well, you should have checked out the location a few days ahead of time. Much in the same way, don't rely on Google Maps to be flawless the morning you are scheduled to show up for the first day of a new job. Do everything thing you can to do reconnaissance beforehand. That's simply part of responsibility. I would not address this part further at all.

This wasn't a fatal blow as I had planned ahead and still managed to get to the center in time. I shared all with Pearson so that they realize the depth of inadequacy of the particular test center so that they can fix the basics before going into the more serious stuff. They have my address listed and it shows I come from a different city (not too far but still a different city), yet they questioned my use of Google Maps to find my way to the center.

Quote:
2) The overheated lead batteries--certainly unpleasant and perhaps toxic. Most people have no idea how batteries work and many people, including presumably the people who work with that foul smell every day, may not be aware of the problem at all. I would say drop this concern in further discussions with Pearson or GMAC. I would say, if you think this is potential health concern, contact OSHA or some governmental health board. Register a health complaint and let them investigate separate from you.

It certainly is a health and safety concern and as sad as it may sound, there might be no authority directly dealing with such complains in my country. I had no way of gathering any evidence in this respect as this area is accessible only after you have stowed away your belongings before the actual exam.

Quote:
3) Bad mouse & bad mouse pad--that directly concerns the test taking experience. Continue addressing this.
4) Faulty pens and writing pads--that also directly concerns the test taking experience. Continue addressing this.

I hope they respond, I have no intention of gaining traction through minor issues

Quote:
5) Nasty toilets--some people are really affected by this, and some people go to the bathroom only once a day (BTW, that's not the least bit healthy, but that's how some people live!) Again, I would say drop this. Again, if there's some governmental health board, perhaps you can register a complaint with them. You might also leave a bad Yelp review if they're on Yelp.

I will see if they are on Yelp though I am not sure if many will look at the Yelp review before selecting this exam center.

Quote:
I would say focus on #3 and #4: in my mind, those are issue that directly and immediately affect the test-taking experience, and theoretically would be addressable if the testing center were not so cheap about supplies. If you don't make much progress with discussions with GMAC and Pearson, I would say: think about having a conversation with a lawyer. A lawyer could tell you what would be actionable. Sometimes a whole lot of inertia evaporates and a whole lot of changes suddenly start getting made when a lawyer hints that a suit might be in the offing. A lawyer might be able to sort through what legal agreements Pearson makes and might be able to demonstrate that they were in breech of contract by offering you substandard equipment that impeded your performance. It's worth at least having that discussions with the lawyer. I wish you the best of good luck.

I have no intention of pursuing this in the court of law. I will soldier on, settle down a bit and attempt GMAT again.

Quote:
Finally, I let's talk about the GMAT itself, my area of expertise. Although you experienced other problems, you may find this blog germane:
Lower on the Real GMAT than on Practice Tests
The recommendations in that blog certainly would be relevant when you start thinking about a retake.

Also, you didn't mention your actual score, but you now would qualify for Magoosh's score guarantee: if you fulfill the requirements, you would be guaranteed a 50-point increase or your money back. That's a potential win-win if you sign up for Magoosh for your retake.

Let me know if you have any questions or want to say anything in response.

Mike McGarry :-)

Thank you for the detailed response. I scored 680 and I will definitely go through the thread mentioned. I admire your work and my wife is already signed up for Magoosh (GRE). I will see if I wait long for the exam in which case I may consider subscribing.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 20:47
egmat wrote:
jedit – I am truly sorry for your experience. Frankly I have heard this story a number of times. Pearson Vue frankly does not care as much imposing their requirements on the testing centers especially in India. While their requirements document looks comprehensive, few centers in India adhere to the same.

Here is the link to requirement document: https://home.pearsonvue.com/Documents/T ... _reqs.aspx

The good news is that most top schools don’t care about students taking multiple attempts as long as students have a good GMAT score. Take the case of Prawee who improved from 550 to 740 in 5 attempts and is now studying at Kellogg.

https://e-gmat.wistia.com/medias/gvn357mf6a

Similarly, Rohit took the test multiple times to score 740. He is also studying at Kellogg.
https://e-gmat.wistia.com/medias/x0lxt5vo8k

Lastly, to help others, provide a review for the test center at the link below:

https://gmatclub.com/reviews/more-gmat-test-centers/

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

Thank you for this great suggestion, I have filed a review and I hope it leads to positive change at the center. I will soldier on and work harder. I am an e-gmat (verbal) subscriber and wanted to thank you for the great content and knowledge provided by the course which certainly helped me reach my current levels.

Re: Horrible Experience at test center &nbs [#permalink] 01 Feb 2018, 20:47

Horrible Experience at test center

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap