It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 23:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hose A takes 2 days to fill a pool, hose B takes 3 days to fill a pool

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [3], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Hose A takes 2 days to fill a pool, hose B takes 3 days to fill a pool [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 22:29
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (01:57) correct 38% (02:33) wrong based on 81 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hose A takes 2 days to fill a pool, hose B takes 3 days to fill a pool, and hose C takes 6 days to fill a pool. All three hoses are used to fill the first one-third of the pool, at which time hose B stops working and hose A and hose C continue until it is two-thirds full. At that point, hose C stops working and hose A continues until the pool is full. How long did it take to fill the entire pool?

a) 1.5
b) 2.5
c) 3.5
d) 4.5
e) 1.2
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 257 [3], given: 855

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 35

GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User
Hose A takes 2 days to fill a pool, hose B takes 3 days to fill a pool [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 07:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
anairamitch1804 wrote:
Hose A takes 2 days to fill a pool, hose B takes 3 days to fill a pool, and hose C takes 6 days to fill a pool. All three hoses are used to fill the first one-third of the pool, at which time hose B stops working and hose A and hose C continue until it is two-thirds full. At that point, hose C stops working and hose A continues until the pool is full. How long did it take to fill the entire pool?

a) 1.5
b) 2.5
c) 3.5
d) 4.5
e) 1.2

First: calculate the rates for each hoses.
Ra=1/2
Rb=1/3
Rc=1/6
then sum up all rates we need:
Ra+Rb+Rb=6/6
Ra+Rc=4/6
Time to fill the pool = (1/3)/(6/6)+(1/3)/(4/6)+(1/3)/(1/2) = 18/12 = 1.5
thus answer a

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 35

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 648

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 08:55
DOUBLE POST, this one deleted, APOLOGIES

Last edited by genxer123 on 01 Nov 2017, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 409 [1], given: 648

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Hose A takes 2 days to fill a pool, hose B takes 3 days to fill a pool [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
anairamitch1804 wrote:

a) 1.5
b) 2.5
c) 3.5
d) 4.5
e) 1.2

Three stages. In all three, work, \(W\), to be done = fill \(\frac{1}{3}\) of pool.

All work rates are in \(\frac{pools}{hr}\)

A's rate = \(\frac{1}{2}\). B's rate = \(\frac{1}{3}\). C's rate = \(\frac{1}{6}\)

1) Stage 1: A,B, and C work together to fill \(W=\frac{1}{3}\) of pool. Add rates, find time.

Combined rate:
\((\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{6})=\frac{6}{6}= 1\)

Stage 1 time, \((Time=\frac{Work}{rate}):\)\(\frac{(\frac{1}{3})}{1}=\frac{1}{3}hr\)

2) Stage 2. B leaves. How much work? Pool is \(\frac{1}{3}\) full. A and C work "until it is \(\frac{2}{3}\) full."
\(W=(\frac{2}{3}-\frac{1}{3})=\frac{1}{3}\) to fill

Add rates of A and C, find time. Combined rate:
\((\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{6})=\frac{8}{12}=\frac{2}{3}\)

Stage 2 time, (\(T=\frac{W}{r})\):
\(\frac{(\frac{1}{3})}{(\frac{2}{3})}=\frac{1}{2}hr\)

3) Stage 3. A works alone. Pool is \(\frac{2}{3}\) full. Work is 1 pool. So \(\frac{1}{3}\) remains =\(W\)

Time for A to finish, \(T =\frac{W}{r}\):
\(\frac{(\frac{1}{3})}{(\frac{1}{2})}=\frac{2}{3}hr\)

Add times for the 3 stages:
\(\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{2}{3}hrs =
1.5 hrs\)

Answer A

Kudos [?]: 409 [1], given: 648

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 472

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 11:33
anairamitch1804 wrote:

a) 1.5
b) 2.5
c) 3.5
d) 4.5
e) 1.2

hi

you have already scored 770. Why do you think you need to get this one solved...? :grin:
you don't need to work it out anymore, do you ..?

VP
VP
P

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 11:50
gmatcracker2017 wrote:
anairamitch1804 wrote:

a) 1.5
b) 2.5
c) 3.5
d) 4.5
e) 1.2

hi

you have already scored 770. Why do you think you need to get this one solved...? :grin:

gmatcracker2017, it is probably a good idea to tag to whom you refer. Without a "callout" it looks as if you are replying to me. I have taken the GRE and LSAT. Not the GMAT.

I think you refer to anairamitch1804 - and I think you might be confused about why non-expert persons post questions. :-)

It is not only because the person cannot solve the problem.

Often it is simply to share, or to get points.

Maybe this problem gave her trouble (like you, I doubt it, but who cares?).

Maybe she thinks it is a good question and would like to share.

I intend no disrespect; I think you were just a little in the dark about motivations for posting questions.

I think it is a good question. In fact, I should have awarded kudos. I will do so now. :thumbup:

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 166

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Hose A takes 2 days to fill a pool, hose B takes 3 days to fill a pool [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 13:01
anairamitch1804 wrote:

a) 1.5
b) 2.5
c) 3.5
d) 4.5
e) 1.2

Another appraoch

Let the capacity of the pool = 6 units

RA = 6/2 =3 unit/day , RB= 6/3 = 2 unit/day, RC = 6/6 = 1 unit/day

The question divides the process of filling the pool to three phases and each one equal =1/3 * 6 =2 units

Phase 1: T = 2/6 = 1/3 day.............(Total rate of 3 hoses = 1+2+3=6)

Phase 2: T = 2/4 = 1/2 day.............(rate of hoses A & C = 1+3=4)

Phase 3: T = 2/6 = 1/3 day.............(rate of A only = 3)

Total time = 1/3 + 2/3 + 1/2 = 1.5

Answer: A

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 166

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 02:14
genxer123 wrote:
gmatcracker2017 wrote:
anairamitch1804 wrote:

a) 1.5
b) 2.5
c) 3.5
d) 4.5
e) 1.2

hi

gmatcracker2017, it is probably a good idea to tag to whom you refer. Without a "callout" it looks as if you are replying to me. I have taken the GRE and LSAT. Not the GMAT.

I think you refer to anairamitch1804 - and I think you might be confused about why non-expert persons post questions. :-)

It is not only because the person cannot solve the problem.

Often it is simply to share, or to get points.

Maybe this problem gave her trouble (like you, I doubt it, but who cares?).

Maybe she thinks it is a good question and would like to share.

I intend no disrespect; I think you were just a little in the dark about motivations for posting questions.

I think it is a good question. In fact, I should have awarded kudos. I will do so now. :thumbup:

genxer123
hi man

please don't take it so seriously :grin: yes, of course, it is a good question
I never wanted to hurt anyone involved. So whatever your reactions might be, however, on the post, please accept my apologies
I know very well: you guys are very brilliant and helpful.
Please understand that the intended purpose of the post was only to producing some fun, nothing else, man :grin:

As always, I have full respect for everybody involved here in anyway.

take care, man :-)

by the by, I have also awarded a kudos to the question ... :-)

Last edited by gmatcracker2017 on 07 Nov 2017, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

Expert Post
Target Test Prep Representative
S
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 1025 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 16:02
anairamitch1804 wrote:

a) 1.5
b) 2.5
c) 3.5
d) 4.5
e) 1.2

The rates of hose A, B, and C, respectively, are 1/2, 1/3, and 1/6.

We can let t = the time it takes all 3 hoses working together to fill the first 1/3 of the pool:

(1/2)t + (1/3)t + (1/6)t = 1/3

Multiplying by 6, we have:

3t + 2t + t = 2

6t = 2

t = 1/3 hour

Next, we can let s = the time it takes hoses A and C working together to fill the next 1/3 of the pool:

(1/2)s + (1/6)s = 1/3

Multiplying by 6, we have:

3s + s = 2

4s = 2

s = 1/2 hour

Finally, we can let u = the time it takes hose A to fill the last 1/3 of the pool:

(1/2)u = 1/3

u/2 = 1/3

3u = 2

u = 2/3 hour

So, the total time is 1/3 + 1/2 + 2/3 = 2/6 + 3/6 + 4/6 = 9/6 = 3/2 = 1.5 hours.

Answer: A

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Kudos [?]: 1025 [0], given: 3

Re: Hose A takes 2 days to fill a pool, hose B takes 3 days to fill a pool   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2017, 16:02

Hose A takes 2 days to fill a pool, hose B takes 3 days to fill a pool

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap