GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 21:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How can I improve a Q44 in a month?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: LBS (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.9
How can I improve a Q44 in a month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 06:26
Hi guys,

I recently took my first official GMAT and I scored 690 (Q44, V40, IR7). I would like to apply to some of the top 20 business schools in Europe (LSE, HEC, LBS, ESCP...) for a pre-experience master (in finance or international management) so I believe that I'm going to have to retake the exam, mostly because of my quant score which is embarrassing, especially since I've always thought to be quite good at math. I am an Italian studying economics and management in Italy, I have a 4.0 GPA, an internship in consulting at a big 4, I will be studying at Warthon for a semester next year and I have also taken a summer course at LSE last summer. What do you think is the quant score that I should aim to, to have a good shot?

I have been studying for 10 weeks from the OG guide and an online course, which I didn't find to be that useful. I scored a 700 (Q42, V42) 3 weeks after I started studying, but my last CAT (after 7 weeks) was a 710 (Q46, V42) and my official score was 690 (Q44, V40), hence in 10 weeks I haven't gotten that better in quant. What do you guys think I should do? Should I try another online course, or should I buy some particular books? I like the idea of studying at my own pace online, but there are so many different courses and I really need one that can help me to improve in quant. I would like to retake the exam in about a month.

Thank you so much for your time in advance, a response would really mean a lot.
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
How can I improve a Q44 in a month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 07:41
michele98 wrote:
Hi guys,

I recently took my first official GMAT and I scored 690 (Q44, V40, IR7). I would like to apply to some of the top 20 business schools in Europe (LSE, HEC, LBS, ESCP...) for a pre-experience master (in finance or international management) so I believe that I'm going to have to retake the exam, mostly because of my quant score which is embarrassing, especially since I've always thought to be quite good at math. I am an Italian studying economics and management in Italy, I have a 4.0 GPA, an internship in consulting at a big 4, I will be studying at Warthon for a semester next year and I have also taken a summer course at LSE last summer. What do you think is the quant score that I should aim to, to have a good shot?

I have been studying for 10 weeks from the OG guide and an online course, which I didn't find to be that useful. I scored a 700 (Q42, V42) 3 weeks after I started studying, but my last CAT (after 7 weeks) was a 710 (Q46, V42) and my official score was 690 (Q44, V40), hence in 10 weeks I haven't gotten that better in quant. What do you guys think I should do? Should I try another online course, or should I buy some particular books? I like the idea of studying at my own pace online, but there are so many different courses and I really need one that can help me to improve in quant. I would like to retake the exam in about a month.

Hi michele98,

You can try out the TTP course as it is phenomenal and covers the entire syllabus really well. Plus it has great reviews on GMATCLUB. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practice tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. You will also find the following link helpful.

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... h-focused/

Hope this helps. All the best.
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Re: How can I improve a Q44 in a month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 09:56
michele98 wrote:
Hi guys,

Hi for Quant improvement try with TTP or eGMAT. Once syllabus completed, do the practice in GMATClub along with your course questions. Then do the mocks in Official or Manhattan.
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 10:28
Hi michele98,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So, since you have been studying for some time and have made little improvement in your quant score, you need to look at HOW you have been studying and make some changes. Right? That said, since you need quant help, I agree with @kirn120680 that TTP would be an amazing resource for you. In fact, check out this recent success story in which a TTP student improved from a Q44 to Q50.

If you have any further questions or would like to learn more about the TTP course, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Director
Director
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 10:29
michele98 wrote:
Hi guys,

I feel you can definitely improve your score-

1) Work on your weak areas; So don't skip any topic. Do everything because you may get an easy q on any topic and you don't want to get an easy question wrong.

2) Practice, practice, and practice. There is no short cut to success!! But do understand GMAT is a reasoning test and not a Math test. So you should do the practice in the right way that is by solving questions using reasoning not just by doing the math.

All the best!

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 11:29
Hi michele98,

Based on your CAT Scores and Official Score, you're clearly a really strong critical thinker - which is great. However, it sounds as if you are treating the Quant section of the GMAT as a "math test", while it is NOT that at all. It's actually a big 'critical thinking test' that requires lots of little calculations as you work through it. Thus, to score at a much higher level in this section, you need to become more of a 'strategist' and less of a 'mathematician.'

Many Business Schools view an Applicant's Quant Scaled Score as an indicator of how that Applicant might handle the 'academic side' of the Program - and a Q44 won't impress anyone. Highly-Competitive Programs (and especially Finance Programs) place a heavy emphasis on the Quant Scaled Score. With a Q44, you likely know most (if not all) of the math just fine, but you made some little mistakes as you worked through the section and you missed out on LOTS of 'strategy-based' points. This is meant to say that by focusing on Quant Tactics, you'll be better able to increase your GMAT Score AND better impress how Business School Admissions Officers will view your potential to handle the Program.

Before I can offer you any additional advice, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) Do you have an exact Test Date yet (and if so, then what is it?)?
3) What application deadlines are you considering?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
CR Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 21:56
Hi michele98

V40 is a really good verbal score.
If you devote most of your preparation time for quant you can definitely achieve a very good score.
For Quant I would suggest you go thru Manhattan Quant guides, which will solidify your basics and couple them with GMAT club tests, which will help you to reach Q49 atleast.

Thanks

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How can I improve a Q44 in a month?   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2019, 21:56

How can I improve a Q44 in a month?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics