Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: How can I raise my score by 100+ points in 1 month? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
silentsoul wrote:
I have been saying I wanna take the GMAT for the past 3 years. I finally signed up 2 weeks ago to force myself to focus and take it. Well I took it today & biggest shock of my life; I got a 600. This score wouldn't get me to any of the schools that I'm planning to apply to.
I need help. I need to study, maybe change my whole process.
I need to get at least 710 to have a competitive app. What should I do?
During the last year I studied all Manhattan gmat books, I also bought magoosh, saw most of verbal & half of math videos. What should I do?
My plan is to take the GMAT again on November 23rd. Is it possible for me to get the score I want and how should I study?

I appreciate your feedbak!

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Hi silentsoul,

You can certainly increase your score if you work towards it.
I have a few questions:

1. How long did you study before your GMAT
2. Did you complete the OG and the Review books?
3. Did you attempt the GMAT Prep CATs?
4. Which schools are you planning to apply to?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi silentsoul,

I'm hoping that you can clarify some things in your post.

1) From the way you describe things, it sounds like you took the GMAT after studying for 2 weeks. Is that the case or did you study for a longer period than that?
2) What materials did you use?
3) Why are you 'shocked' by scoring 600?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
HI prettypeachheart,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet. You'll also likely have to take CATs more frequently than you did before (1 FULL CAT per week - give or take - should be part of your plan). There are other factors to consider though, including how you took your CATs.

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?

With a V27, you lost points on all 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR), so even though you've self-identified RC as a 'weak area', you have to continue to work on ALL Verbal areas to significantly raise your score. It would also be easier for you to score 700+ if you picked up a few extra points in the Quant section.

At this point, the 100+ points that you're looking for will require that you focus on Tactics and the 'precision' in your work (note-taking, thoroughness, etc.). Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your prompt response. Answers to your questions:
When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? (I only took 2 CATs before the exams. I did skip essay and IR on the first exam, but I did all the sections on the second one)
2) Did you take them at home? (Yes I took them at home)
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT? (yes, almost)
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)? (No not really, I did a few silly mistakes though by not reading the questions properly)

Can you please tell me a few ways on how to improve my focus on Tactics and the 'precision' in my work.

Thank you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi prettypeachheart,

The GMAT is a specific 'event', which you can train for. When you practice though, you really have to make your CATS 'match up' with what you will face on Test Day. As such, you have to take the FULL CAT (all sections), at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, away from your home, under realistic conditions, etc. Since you've taken the Official GMAT, you have a clear idea of the 'details' of Test Day, so you'll have to mimic those details as best as you can (as you continue to take CATs).

Using your Official Score as a 'baseline', most of your upcoming work will need to be focused on the Verbal section (although you can't ignore the Quant section - the Q46 means that you made some silly mistakes on Test Day and missed out on a number of 'strategy-based' points). From a tactical standpoint, you have two immediate options:

1) Continue practicing the Tactics that you've learned so far, assuming that they are what you need to pick up those missing points.
2) Focus on learning new Tactics, and practicing them thoroughly.

When are you planning to apply to Business School? If it's soon, then what are your exact deadlines?

Rich
GMAT Club Bot