GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 00:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How I got a 740 (Q50 V40)! Don't give up!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.83
Reviews Badge
How I got a 740 (Q50 V40)! Don't give up!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 07:48
Hi all,

I found this forum very helpful during my prep, so thought I’d give back and share my story!
My GMAT “journey” started during my last semester of college. I studied engineering and went to UPenn. Many of my peers were starting to prep, so I sort of jumped on the bandwagon. As most second semester seniors, I was preoccupied with everything but the GMAT and as a result my studying was inconsistent and completely lacking in focus.

Having a very strong math background, I assumed I didn’t need to prep much for quant and attempted to focus on verbal. But even my verbal prep was pretty arbitrary. Finally, with just two weeks until my exam date, I started taking practice tests and realized I was nowhere near where I wanted to be. I was surprised to find that my quant was pretty subpar hovering the 44 range. This was not going to cut it considering I was hoping quant would be my strength!

A good friend then told me about Target Test Prep (TTP) and how it helped him improve his Quant. I signed up right away and even postponed my test another 2 weeks. I even set up some tutoring sessions with Jeff Miller (one of the founders of TTP) to reinforce the new tricks I was learning. Right away I could tell that TTP was the real deal. They manage to put together a curriculum that is thorough and not daunting at all! It covers all the important tricks and traps that you may find on the GMAT and sets up a study plan with many reinforcement quizzes to ensure that you are retaining all of your newfound knowledge.

After just 2.5 weeks of VERY intense use of TTP (>4 hours a day), I felt ready for Quant. I took my first go at the GMAT April 25 and got a 690 (Q49 V35). I was ecstatic about my Quant score, but pretty bummed at the overall score as I was aiming for a 720, and decided to keep my score but work on verbal the way I worked on quant and try it again. I was going into finals and graduation, so I took some time off and revisited the GMAT studying in June. I continued regularly taking quizzes on TTP to keep up my Quant practice and started sort of aimlessly studying for Verbal. I finally narrowed verbal down to Manhattan Prep’s Sentence Correction book and The GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible (both suggestions I got from this forum!). I found both books to be super thorough and helpful in establishing the proper techniques for solving SC and CR questions.

I found that learning the grammar basics, practicing pre-thinking for CR, and making sure to spend time on understanding the question prompt made all the difference.

During this time my practice tests were a little varied, but my last two practice tests before the test (both from mba official website) were 740 (Q49 V41) and 730 (Q49 V40). I was feeling really good!

My second GMAT attempt was scheduled for July 11. At the end of each section I found myself a little rushed, but overall didn’t feel too badly about it. Turns out I got a 700 (Q48 V38). Definitely a bit of an improvement, and I was happy to at least beat that 700 cut off, but I knew that I could test better.

I was pretty conflicted as to whether I should retake for a third attempt, and finally decided that I would give it one more go! This time I tried to reduce the pressure I put on myself and allowed others to put on me. I decided not to even tell anyone that I was retaking the exam and limited my study to 1-2 hrs a day to avoid any burn out. (This was after I went on a 1 week trip to refresh). I scheduled my next test for just 3 weeks after the 2nd exam. I felt that I had already prepped what I needed to prep and now I just needed to reinforce practice and preform on test day. I did very minimal prep the 10 days leading up to the exam and took 2 more official mba practice tests (these are by far the best and most accurate tests!). I truly think giving myself a break and not letting myself burn out made a big difference!

Finally, on my last attempt I got a 740 (Q50 V40)!!! I was so happy that I trusted my ability and decided to take it one more time!

In conclusion, be focused and targeted in your prep – find what guides or tricks work for you for each question type, and don’t burn out!

Quant: Target Test Prep
SC: Manhattan Prep
CR: Critical Reasoning Bible
RC and AWA I used the Manhattan Prep books but didn’t feel the need to spend too much time on personally.

Good luck!!

Bari
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How I got a 740 (Q50 V40)! Don't give up!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 08:34
barigordon1217 wrote:
Hi all,

I found this forum very helpful during my prep, so thought I’d give back and share my story!
My GMAT “journey” started during my last semester of college. I studied engineering and went to UPenn. Many of my peers were starting to prep, so I sort of jumped on the bandwagon. As most second semester seniors, I was preoccupied with everything but the GMAT and as a result my studying was inconsistent and completely lacking in focus.

Having a very strong math background, I assumed I didn’t need to prep much for quant and attempted to focus on verbal. But even my verbal prep was pretty arbitrary. Finally, with just two weeks until my exam date, I started taking practice tests and realized I was nowhere near where I wanted to be. I was surprised to find that my quant was pretty subpar hovering the 44 range. This was not going to cut it considering I was hoping quant would be my strength!

A good friend then told me about Target Test Prep (TTP) and how it helped him improve his Quant. I signed up right away and even postponed my test another 2 weeks. I even set up some tutoring sessions with Jeff Miller (one of the founders of TTP) to reinforce the new tricks I was learning. Right away I could tell that TTP was the real deal. They manage to put together a curriculum that is thorough and not daunting at all! It covers all the important tricks and traps that you may find on the GMAT and sets up a study plan with many reinforcement quizzes to ensure that you are retaining all of your newfound knowledge.

After just 2.5 weeks of VERY intense use of TTP (>4 hours a day), I felt ready for Quant. I took my first go at the GMAT April 25 and got a 690 (Q49 V35). I was ecstatic about my Quant score, but pretty bummed at the overall score as I was aiming for a 720, and decided to keep my score but work on verbal the way I worked on quant and try it again. I was going into finals and graduation, so I took some time off and revisited the GMAT studying in June. I continued regularly taking quizzes on TTP to keep up my Quant practice and started sort of aimlessly studying for Verbal. I finally narrowed verbal down to Manhattan Prep’s Sentence Correction book and The GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible (both suggestions I got from this forum!). I found both books to be super thorough and helpful in establishing the proper techniques for solving SC and CR questions.

I found that learning the grammar basics, practicing pre-thinking for CR, and making sure to spend time on understanding the question prompt made all the difference.

During this time my practice tests were a little varied, but my last two practice tests before the test (both from mba official website) were 740 (Q49 V41) and 730 (Q49 V40). I was feeling really good!

My second GMAT attempt was scheduled for July 11. At the end of each section I found myself a little rushed, but overall didn’t feel too badly about it. Turns out I got a 700 (Q48 V38). Definitely a bit of an improvement, and I was happy to at least beat that 700 cut off, but I knew that I could test better.

I was pretty conflicted as to whether I should retake for a third attempt, and finally decided that I would give it one more go! This time I tried to reduce the pressure I put on myself and allowed others to put on me. I decided not to even tell anyone that I was retaking the exam and limited my study to 1-2 hrs a day to avoid any burn out. (This was after I went on a 1 week trip to refresh). I scheduled my next test for just 3 weeks after the 2nd exam. I felt that I had already prepped what I needed to prep and now I just needed to reinforce practice and preform on test day. I did very minimal prep the 10 days leading up to the exam and took 2 more official mba practice tests (these are by far the best and most accurate tests!). I truly think giving myself a break and not letting myself burn out made a big difference!

Finally, on my last attempt I got a 740 (Q50 V40)!!! I was so happy that I trusted my ability and decided to take it one more time!

In conclusion, be focused and targeted in your prep – find what guides or tricks work for you for each question type, and don’t burn out!

Quant: Target Test Prep
SC: Manhattan Prep
CR: Critical Reasoning Bible
RC and AWA I used the Manhattan Prep books but didn’t feel the need to spend too much time on personally.

Good luck!!

Bari

Hello barigordon1217 ........... Congratulations on this great achievement. And thanks a bunch for the great debrief. This will inspire a lot of people in the community.

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 08:42
Congratulations. Great that you didn't settle with 690 and aimed for a higher score. The efforts definitely paid off. This will motivate the rest of us still studying for the test. Best wishes with your applications.

Cheers!

barigordon1217 wrote:
Hi all,

Bari
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 09:01
nice work- question, did you wind up keeping your 690 or cancelling It?

also, is TTP supposed to be a prep that's centered around math specficially? I was looking for something similar as well, since my quant ability is weaker than my verbal ability

NYC based Verbal and Writing tutor; taking clients pro bono atm

Re: How I got a 740 (Q50 V40)! Don't give up! &nbs [#permalink] 02 Aug 2018, 09:01

How I got a 740 (Q50 V40)! Don't give up!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap