GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 10:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How many even numbers, larger than 400, with 3 different digits

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
How many even numbers, larger than 400, with 3 different digits  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 01:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (03:03) correct 27% (01:49) wrong based on 41 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

How many even numbers, larger than 400, with 3 different digits, can be formed using digits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8?

A. 102
B. 620
C. 640
D. 2048
E. 2520

I am struggling to understand why 102 is the correct answer as my approach is; 5 options for the first digit, 7 for the second and from there it is already wrong because there is no integer to multiply 5*7 that result in 102. Thank you in advance

P.D.: I am sorry for any possible mistake as I am new in the forum. I could not find the right topic for the problem because I have it as a counting methode. The source is from an online platform provided by my Academy.
Math Expert
V
Re: How many even numbers, larger than 400, with 3 different digits  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 02:12
alfonspm wrote:
How many even numbers, larger than 400, with 3 different digits, can be formed using digits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8?

A. 102
B. 620
C. 640
D. 2048
E. 2520

I am struggling to understand why 102 is the correct answer as my approach is; 5 options for the first digit, 7 for the second and from there it is already wrong because there is no integer to multiply 5*7 that result in 102. Thank you in advance

P.D.: I am sorry for any possible mistake as I am new in the forum. I could not find the right topic for the problem because I have it as a counting methode. The source is from an online platform provided by my Academy.

1. If the hundreds digit is even (so 4, 6, or 8):

Number of options for the hundreds digit: 3;
Number of options for the units digit: 3 (any from 2, 4, 6, or 8 but one used for the hundreds);
Number of options for the tens digit: 6.

Total = 3*3*6 = 54.

2. If the hundreds digit is odd (so 5, or 7):

Number of options for the hundreds digit: 2;
Number of options for the units digit: 4 (any from 2, 4, 6, or 8);
Number of options for the tens digit: 6.

Total = 2*4*6 = 48.

GRAND TOTAL = 54 + 48 = 102.

Answer: A.

alfonspm wrote:

The Category for such kind of questions in Combinations.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
Re: How many even numbers, larger than 400, with 3 different digits  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 04:02
Sorry I don't understand why you split the hundreds digits into even or odds. If the number must be even the only digit you should split is the units, as are the ones that are gonna tell you whether is even or odd.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 04:13
alfonspm wrote:
Sorry I don't understand why you split the hundreds digits into even or odds. If the number must be even the only digit you should split is the units, as are the ones that are gonna tell you whether is even or odd.

If you don't split you won't get correct answer. If you check the solution you'll see that the number of options of the hundreds digit affects the number of options of the units digit.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
How many even numbers, larger than 400, with 3 different digits  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 04:17
alfonspm wrote:

A. 102
B. 620
C. 640
D. 2048
E. 2520

Look at it this way

Case 1: If Unit digit is taken by digit 2 then hundreds digit has 5 options and tens digit has 6 options i.e. 1*5*6 = 30 numbers

Case 2: If Unit digit is taken by digit 4 or 6 or 8 then hundreds digit has 4 options and tens digit has 6 options i.e. 3*4*6 = 72 numbers

Total Possibilities = 30+72 = 102

Bunuel has tried it in different ways because when hundreds digit is 4 or 6 or 8 then unit digit has 3 possibilities but when Hundreds digit is 5 or 6 then Unit digits have 4 possibilities so the cases can not be clubbed together hence they need to be solved as separate cases

I hope this helps!!!

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 11:36
It does thank you very much!
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 19:06
To get # of numbers greater than 400 and even, first digit can be any number from 4 to 8 while last number should be an even number.

if the last number is 2, then we have 1 way to fill the last digit; 100's place can be filled by 4,5,6,7,8(total 5) and 10th place can be filled with any number from 1 to 8, since two numbers are already being filled in last digit and 100th place, we can take only 6 digits, thus total number of numbers that end with two is 1*5*6=30

if the last number is 4,6,8, then we have 3 ways to fill the last digit; 100's place can be filled by 5,7, and any two of {4,6,8} (total 4), as the other number is filled in last digit earlier. and 10th place can be filled with any number from 1 to 8, since two numbers are already being filled in last digit and 100th place, we can take only 6 digits, thus total number of numbers that end with either [4,6,8] is 3*4*6 = 72 numbers

Total number of numbers = 30+72 = 102

Kudos are always welcome ... as well your suggestions

Re: How many even numbers, larger than 400, with 3 different digits &nbs [#permalink] 01 May 2017, 19:06

How many even numbers, larger than 400, with 3 different digits

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap