It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many schools to visit? How can I narrow my list?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
How many schools to visit? How can I narrow my list? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 06:06
Hi all!

I'm at the point where I'm applying next year and would like to visit schools in the upcoming academic year to get a sense of where I want to apply and get a feel for the schools I choose to apply to.

I know I will want to apply to 6 schools, and I already am sure of 2 of them. In my universe of schools, there are 10 schools / 7 cities I want to visit, including the two schools I know I want to apply to. Now, two of these cities overlap with preexisting trips I have, leaving 5 trips exclusively necessary for business schools. I'm already hitting up some combos: Duke/UNC, Chicago/Northwestern, NYU/Columbia, so I feel like this is an efficient use of my time.

Is this too many? Any advice on the campus visit aspect? Looking for perspectives on how I can get a better sense of visiting schools ranks #10-#20 can help my decisions.

Thanks in advance!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28483 [0], given: 5106

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How many schools to visit? How can I narrow my list? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 07:44
School visits are helpful to put the school into perspective. It is definitely not a must but helpful. The challenge with visiting all of the target schools is usually the dates for their prospective student events (though some allow visiting most of the days as long as you schedule in advance). Your experience is usually much richer if you are able to attend during the designated dates/weeks.

My suggestion is to prioritize as it can get expensive and busy with overlapping dates. I would also encourage you to post your visit/trip reports if at all possible - we have a few published including this one: https://gmatclub.com/forum/tuck-campus- ... 46215.html this way you are not only visiting a school but also helping a lot of folks and there is a way for you to stand out from the crowd with AdCom.

There are a few good discussions about this:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/b-school-vis ... 56405.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-word-of-ca ... 22044.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-importan ... 91529.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 28483 [0], given: 5106

Expert Post
Admissionado
S

Kudos [?]: 968 [0], given: 48

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 00:06
Classof15USA wrote:
Hi all!

I'm at the point where I'm applying next year and would like to visit schools in the upcoming academic year to get a sense of where I want to apply and get a feel for the schools I choose to apply to.

I know I will want to apply to 6 schools, and I already am sure of 2 of them. In my universe of schools, there are 10 schools / 7 cities I want to visit, including the two schools I know I want to apply to. Now, two of these cities overlap with preexisting trips I have, leaving 5 trips exclusively necessary for business schools. I'm already hitting up some combos: Duke/UNC, Chicago/Northwestern, NYU/Columbia, so I feel like this is an efficient use of my time.

Is this too many? Any advice on the campus visit aspect? Looking for perspectives on how I can get a better sense of visiting schools ranks #10-#20 can help my decisions.

Thanks in advance!

Why too many? Can you swing it with work?
sure it'll cost you some, but the costs will pale in comparison to what you will pay for B-school, so go for it! :-D

At the end, besides making great contacts and learning a lot about the schools, your visits, will more than anything help you make the best possible choice about where you REALLY want to go, and is a very worthwhile investment.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 05:12
Thanks for the advice! Very helpful. I think at this point I was getting worried that visiting some schools a year out from R1 wouldn't be advised. But now I see that it'll be helpful when considering where I want to apply, so I will go ahead and do so!

I'll be sure to follow-up on how they went in the other forum!

Thanks!

Expert Post
Admissionado
S

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 23:56
Classof15USA wrote:
Thanks for the advice! Very helpful. I think at this point I was getting worried that visiting some schools a year out from R1 wouldn't be advised. But now I see that it'll be helpful when considering where I want to apply, so I will go ahead and do so!

I'll be sure to follow-up on how they went in the other forum!

Thanks!

Why not? On the contrary! This might help you build rapports earlier on, which will only be helpful as you move forward.

And hey, if it's too early, just go visit again! :)

Cheers,
Jon

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: How many schools to visit? How can I narrow my list?   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2017, 23:56

How many schools to visit? How can I narrow my list?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap